1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Middle Eastern Units and some other stuff

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Bakuel, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

: Drool:

Very, very, nice.
    Civ5 units will be a rude awakening. I've become so used to the skill level of Civ4 units.

2. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Well, Bakuel, here is a full list of Chinese dynasties, you should make a set for each one of them, including the Southern Qi and Former Shu: have fun. Just kidding.

Anyhow, on a more serious note, here are some references I found after a quick google search for historical Chinese troops.

Here is a link to a blog post that has pictures of various time periods, from the Bronze Age Shang Dynasty all the way to the fall of the Qing Dynasty (unfortunately the pictures aren't as big as one would like, but still you can make out enough details): http://wiudwing.blogspot.com/2008/09/china-ancient-war.html

Here's a link to another forum, with pictures from various dynasties as well: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4254&PN=1

Edit: Here's another forum showing some 3-D computer graphic-art of ancient Chinese troops. Just scroll down and you'll see some; there's also some other pics on the other pages of the same thread, though I'm not sure how useful they can be: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ancient-medieval-early-modern-ages/53643-ancient-chinese-battle-case-studies.html

If you're looking for an ancient Chinese chariot, here is one, from (I think) the Shang Dynasty / Bronze Age China:
    Spoiler :

And here's an awesome looking picture of Ming Dynasty troops beating the crap out of the Japanese:
    Spoiler :

---

As for the heroes, at this time, I'm only requesting two: Zheng He and Leon Trotsky. I think Zheng He could also do pretty great as a Chinese Explorer EDU.

Some reference pics...

Zheng He:

Spoiler :

Leon Trotsky:

Spoiler :

3. mamba

mamba Deity

Amazing set (well, set is not really adequate), now we need Mamluks and Timurids as civs ;)

4. Bakuel

Bakuel King

Once again thanks for all the kind words!

@Xyth
    Sorry about that! The Mamluk grenadier is in the pack now, just redownload it and it should be there. That is the reason why I had to start writing out unit lists so that everyone knows what's supposed to be inside of the zip.
    I could just reattach the Infantry model (or any of the others if you prefer it) to the SAM and anti-tank animations for you, give me four days.

@cybrxkhan
    Thanks for the sources and information! I had most of the images in the first too links, but the images in the allempires forum were very nice as I had not seen those, especially the 3D ones. I have a matching set of 3D Han cavalry images done by the same artist/group, but I did not know that they made some Xiong Nu to go with them! Thanks for this, those are some more units I need to make down the line.
    Zheng He and Leon Trotsky will be done as well. Considering I am making Russian units, Leon Trotsky fits.
    And kudos for you for only asking for two units, as a general rule, the more units you ask for the longer it will take for me to make them.:p

@SIMPA
    I have considered making some balkan units, as you can see the Bulgars are on the list. The ancient Bulgars will be nomadic/migratory while the medieval set will be during the Bulgarian empire in the Balkans.

I also have references for,

Croats,
    http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a412/Son-of-Fire/Medieval Croats/

Bosnians,
    http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a412/Son-of-Fire/Medieval Bosnians/

Serbs,
    http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a412/Son-of-Fire/Medieval Serbs/
    http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a412/Son-of-Fire/Serb Frescoes/

I must admit I am lacking in Albanian sources.

What Balkans units did you want? I mean, I could probably do a ancient and medieval set for Croats in about 5-6 weeks time, but if you want all of them I would end up getting back to you in about 8-16 months. After all, to do all of the groups in the Balkans justice would be a tremendous undertaking and a major project in itself.

5. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Yep the infantry model would be perfect. Take as much time as you need, much appreciated.

6. Bakuel

Bakuel King

Good then! The infantry model makes it a bit easier, I really just need a rest period before I get back to fooling around with any more Arab units. :p

As a general note, I uploaded cybrxkhan's heroines and they are in the second post. They are special units, so they probably won't be used much, but at least they are there now.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

The heroines look great!! Jadwiga is my favourite :)

8. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

9. SIMPA

SIMPA Prince

Hey thx for replay...;)
    To be honest I would love to see Serbian midieval and industrial unit...couse for me they representing true Balkan..I already did some croat units mostly reskins of some yours old units..:blush:
    It would be really nice if you find some extra time to do serbs couse most of the moders use them in their mods..I dont know why but from this region Serbia is in most use....

10. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Oh man, be careful not to sign up for too many things Bakuel, that's what I did and I don't even know where to start. :crazyeye:

Although, I'm probably not helping you much myself am I?

11. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

This isn't excactly what gets you a girlfriend... though I am myself suffering from the same problem. I wonder if I ever will be able to finish my Civ4 Projects and move on to CivV :crazyeye:

I also have a lot of units I would like you to create for me... though I have decided to not bother you at the moment, as you are already spending way too much time on requests :rolleyes:

12. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Awesome.

I bequeth you your bonus points.

13. Bakuel

Bakuel King

@AbsintheRed
    Thanks! I really like Jadwiga as well, the two long braids were a pain in the nether-regions to get work though.

@mechaerik
    Thanks for the bonus points! :D

@SIMPA
    Serbs it is then, from my light reading of the subject, they seem to have used Byzantine military fashions for a longer period then the Croats did. Since the Bulgarians also used similar weapons and armor this makes my job a bit easier.
    Still I'll probably make some Croatian medieval units some time in the distant future as I will probably need them as well anyway.

@The Capo
    No your not helping me at all. :sad:
    Spoiler :
    :mischief:

Most of the requests I get these days are from people who are working on mod packs of some kind anyway, so I really don't mind helping out. I just can't promise the units fast.
    I remember back in the early days, sometimes random mooks would come out and request some units from me, receive them and then make wild promises that now that they had received this graphic their superbly ultimate mod was complete and that they were going to post it over the weekend. Naturally the mods never materialized and the would be modders would disappear into the wilderness of the internet.

@veBear
    You can still feel free to make requests if you want them, I'm really not the type of preson to feel rushed or overwhelmed by these things. I mean, I always say upfront that it will probably take 1-3 months for a request to be fulfilled and everyone on this site generally knows that I take forever anyway. I mean, I think it was sometime last year that I told Capo I would make the Timurids! :lol:
    I had dozens of requests before (and still do:p), and I assure you, these middle eastern units weren't requested by anyone. I won't stop making the units I personally want to see made just because of requests.

14. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Some day we are going to be the death of you....
    Spoiler :
    ...but until then :whipped:

15. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

"Some" " a few" I'd like to see what a lot is.

16. Bakuel

Bakuel King

@Dumanios
    Well, maybe in another six months or so I will get to show everyone what I personally call a lot of units...

As a general note, one must also thank Walter Hawkwood for the large variety of units as he provided a lot of the reference material. I just got a bit carried away with it all and had to make almost every single concept I came across.

I added the Anti-Tank and SAM infantry to the Arab Revolt pack as Xyth requested. I also added a Total War style Greek Flamethrower to the second post. It was a old request, but I can't remember who requested it for the life of me. Well whoever did it, it's done now and that's all that counts in the end I guess.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Mmm... More tasty units. ;)

18. Wonderblunder

Wonderblunder Part Time Monster in the Closet

I can't wait.;)

I like it! I'm guessing that whoever requested it had long since given up on that unit or had attempted to make a crude version of their own. Well, now our modders have another medieval UU that they can add to their medieval scenarios/mods.

19. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Thanks for the credit. :D I guess I really am partially responsible for the long wait, since I supply a lot of material to Bakuel, and... he gets carried away, as he mentioned himself. :mischief:

I would also like to use this opportunity to once again thank you back for all those magnificent units. Many of them have already found their place in our mod.

20. Castor_Troy

Castor_Troy Warlord

Said it before and I`ll say it again, you surpassed anyone when it comes to medieval and ancient units, your units are beyond the original ones and are far outclassing them. :goodjob:

That quote is from a PM, but I havent given up, was just patient and knew he worked on lots of things as we can always see:p.