1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some people never learn...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Chris41336, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Chris41336

Chris41336 Chieftain

For a bunch of (what I'm assuming are) relatively history conscious people, I am shocked at the fact that nobody here remembers the past enough to try to avoid repeating it. When Civ IV came out, it was called the worst in the franchise, ripped apart left and right, etc etc. The fact of the matter remains that I loved Civ IV even before BTS, and I loved it right up until today when Civ V unlocked.

Now, I read everyone saying the same and worse things about Civ V. I sincerely don't understand what people were thinking - clearly, with 1upt and hexes this was going to be a VASTLY different game from Civ Iv, and yet alot of people are upset by that very fact. The fact for me is that Civ V feels exactly like how a new civ game should feel on release day. You can't stop playing it and when you are done you sit there and try and compare it to the previous game before you finally just realize that you can't because you aren't meant to, and it makes you even happier knowing that now you have two iterations of Civ that at any moment you could play if you really wanted to.

Since everyone else was so quick to judge, I will as well: I love this game. And I can tell that I will for years to come.

2. charon2112

charon2112 King

I love it as well, and I have no doubt I will play it for years. My problem with it is that the terrain graphics are really bad, worse than Civ IV.

3. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

You can't be serious.

4. Chris41336

Chris41336 Chieftain

Yeah, the terrain graphics are bad, and I can't really understand why in that respect they went the opposite direction. I am thinking that since more units had to be rendered at any given time (models for the units) and there's no stacking so they need to ALL be physically rendered, they probably had to take something from somewhere.

That being said, they still look better than Civ III!

5. crag

crag Chieftain

yes he can. They are bad.

6. Selous

Selous King

i agree ... rivers and roads are pretty basic ... gameplay wise, im liking everything i can see so far and look forward to playing this game for the next few years

7. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

I'd like to ask this question to the company releasing the game actually.

8. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

I agree, that is if you compare the graphics to Civ 4 with Blue marble and BAT installed. I expected a bigger leap in graphics then what was released in Civ 5 Vanilla, but it'll be fixed in good time.

9. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Just the rivers need to be fixed. Everything else looks just fine. I think everyone's forgetting that this perception that Civ 5 graphics are poorer could be due to the art deco style that the designers went with. Clearly art deco is not to everyone's tastes. I am semi-loving it though! :D

10. Gorey

Gorey Prince

I didn't like Civ3 all that much. Loved Civ4 from day 1 though. Expansions + BUG mod just made me love it even more.

Civ 5 falls somewhere between 3 & 4 for me currently. Some things i like, some things i hate.

11. charon2112

charon2112 King

art deco has nothing to do with flat lifeless trees that are painted on the tiles instead of real 3d trees.

12. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Fair enough, perhaps I spoke too hastily. Thanks for pointing it out. I still maintain my opinion that Civ 5 graphics are, overall, better than Civ 4. I guess you have to look at it holistically rather than breaking it down part by part. That's just me though. The only things I would change in the Civ 5 graphics are the rivers and to a lesser extent, the roads.

13. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

The 3d trees in Civ IV looked like something from Warcraft 3. How cartoon-ish and unappealing!

14. Gath

Gath Warlord

I remember quite well. I remember immediately tossing that crap taht was Civ 3 in the dust bin after Civ 4 came out. Yes, warlords and beyond the sword added some of the features we enjoyed, but Civ 4 vanilla was still pretty damn good.

15. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Prince

:nope: They look different, not worse.

16. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

I agree with him- the trees don't sway, the rivers are crap, the roads terrible looking, the textures and terrain colors are washed out or something.

The game is fun, but the graphics are atrocious.

17. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Same here, signed.

18. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Also, in civ4 I could play with resource value of each tile turned on. I liked playing that way. In civ5 those dots look horrible.

19. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

Come on guys... the graphics aren't that bad.
    Sure one could have expected something more, I in particular don't like trees and rivers... I have to say that it's a bit strange... cause Colonization had good looking trees and rivers so I wonder how did they manage to do so bad here?

Anyway considering this is a TBS game everything is awesome and one can't really complain.

20. Raider

Raider Warlord

Yeah graphics are very disappointing. Rivers are bad to the point of bothering me too much to enjoy the game...I have to stare at them the entire time I play. And don't get me started on the pyramids in the ocean. How can that not be rooted out in testing?