Some questions for a AND beginner (about game setup)

Kaede11

Chieftain
Hi there, let's see...

1. Is there any thread with suggested setup for games using this mod?
2. I'ven ever tried the "build / research more than 1 thing at the same time" option. How does it work? Does in make the game slower? how does the AI deal with it?
3. Are there any recommendend configurations for revolutions and barbarians becoming civilizations in BUG? Should I leave "empty" spots in the game setup so they can "install" in them when they become new civs?
4. About the option which lets all units fight each other in a single round... does it simulate lots of 1vs1 combats in one click or does it use different rules?
5. How does zone of control work? what units use it?
6. There are lots of maps which seem to simulate different types of Earth... We would like to play a Earth-like map. Which kind of map creates a better "Earth"? Smartworld? PerfectEarth? I'm confused.

I'll probably have more questions... we are gonna play a game with my friends and I don't have the time to try everything before the game.

Thank you!!

no answer?
Not even about the 2nd question?

:(

About the second question.. you mean multiple production and reasearch options?
It means that if you produce more than tech cost is then you can reasearch more techs in one turn. For example; you produce 9 research in turn and techs cost is 3 so you can research 3 techs in one turn..

About the second question.. you mean multiple production and reasearch options?
It means that if you produce more than tech cost is then you can reasearch more techs in one turn. For example; you produce 9 research in turn and techs cost is 3 so you can research 3 techs in one turn..

Yes, I understand what it is. I wanted to know if the game is balances around it, if it complicates gameplay too much and most importantly: How does the AI deal with it?

New player here too. For question 3 it really depends on how many civilizations you want in your game. I've played games where I went from 10 civilizations to 30 civilizations, and I've played in games where I went from 10 to 15 civilizations. I'd say prepare for twice as many civs are you put in the game, or 2.5 times are much, so if you want 16 civs, put 7 in.

For question 6 I don't really know the worlds that this mod introduces well, but from base game I believe they have ROM version of terra and continents

Btw do you know how to whip population to hurry buildings and units with slavery? Is that not possible anymore?

Hey Civ44ever, did you mes with the BUG options or did you simply leave them as they are?
We are 8 players with no starting AIs. I would like to see som barbarians rising.

I don't know about the whip thing, sorry :(

I can try and answer some of these.

Hi there, let's see...

1. Is there any thread with suggested setup for games using this mod?

For Custom Game Options, I play with
  • Unrestricted Leaders
  • Permanent Alliances
  • Require Complete Kills
  • Start as minor civs
  • Multiple Production
  • Multiple Research
  • Usable Mountains
  • Surround and Destroy
  • Advanced Diplomacy
  • Barbarian Generals
  • Assimilation
  • Realistic Culture Spread
  • Religion Decay
  • United Nations
  • Advanced Espionage
  • Movement Limits
  • Mastery Victory (over in the Victory conditions)
These are things I have turned on in BUG. Spoilered for space.

Spoiler :

GENERAL
  • Prechop Forests
  • Prechop Improvements
  • Use AI Pathing
REVDCM
  • Battle Effects
  • Archer Bombard
  • Active Fighter
  • Bribe Mission
  • Assassinate Mission
  • Holy City Relocation
  • No Naval Influence
  • No Barbarian Influence
AND
  • Show Coastal Buildings
  • Hide Obsolete Buildings
  • Hide Replaced Buildings
  • Hide Unconstructible Buildings
  • Hide Untrainable Units
  • Cannot claim water tiles
  • Show Civ traits
  • No Friendly Pillaging
  • Hide Unavailable Worker Actions
  • Hide Obsolete Worker Actions
  • Show Detailed RevIndex Changes
  • Terrain Damage
  • Multiple Religion Spread
  • Resource Depletion
MAP
  • Turn Brightness Up
CITY SCREEN
  • Include Current
ADVISORS
  • Show Current Era
ALERTS
  • All Trading Alerts off
  • All Pending Alerts off
  • All Victory Alerts off
SCOREBOARD
  • Rival vs. You
  • Show Dead Civilizations
CLOCK
  • Alternate Clock off
  • Use Era Colors
UNIT NAMING
  • Disabled
OPTIONS SHORTCUT REMINDER
  • Disabled

2. I'ven ever tried the "build / research more than 1 thing at the same time" option. How does it work? Does in make the game slower? how does the AI deal with it?

Multiple Production and Multiple Research don't let you work on multiple things at a time. Normally, if you have two or more production items or two or more techs queued, the overflow from the first will spill into the second but you can't complete the second thing in the same turn. With these options you can. It's hard to see these effects at slow game speeds, but for example, a very-high-producing city may be able to train two of the same unit in one turn. Theoretically, the only slowdown should be inf the game has to process two creations in one turn.

3. Are there any recommendend configurations for revolutions and barbarians becoming civilizations in BUG? Should I leave "empty" spots in the game setup so they can "install" in them when they become new civs?

You will need empty spots if you want to see civilizations spawning. Any civilization that has not yet spawned can do so if the No Revolutions and No BarbarianCivs options is left off. Once all civilizations have appeared (the DLL can handle 50 players, but there are only 38 in-game civilizations without adding modules), then a revolution can respawn a defeated civilization if certain conditions are right, but if there aren't any available then only barbarians are spawned.

4. About the option which lets all units fight each other in a single round... does it simulate lots of 1vs1 combats in one click or does it use different rules
If you are talking about Stack Attack, I don't use it but I have heard it is very buggy so it is not recommended. I think it does do 1v1 combats the same as regular Civ4 and does not change the combat rules.

5. How does zone of control work? what units use it?

Units don't use Zone of Control by themselves. Promotions grant Zone of Control to units. Moat, Radar Station, and Security Center grant Zone of Control to buildings. When a unit is in the range of an enemy Zone of Control, it can't move into another square in the zone unless it is attacking the source of the zone. So if you approach a city with ZoC, you either have to attack the city or move away from it. You can't move directly around it.

6. There are lots of maps which seem to simulate different types of Earth... We would like to play a Earth-like map. Which kind of map creates a better "Earth"? Smartworld? PerfectEarth? I'm confused.

I like RoM_Terra. My feeling is it doesn't generate as much inhospitable area as some of the other mapscripts. I don't like mapscripts that generate lots of desert, too many long thin continents, or lots of interior lakes.

Yes, I understand what it is. I wanted to know if the game is balances around it, if it complicates gameplay too much and most importantly: How does the AI deal with it?
It makes the game slightly faster.
It really makes a differecence only on faster game speeds (which aren't recomended).
It's rather a "realism" option; if you have 3 techs at 99% researched (for whatever reason) than you can finish them all in the same turn and don't get annoyed with wasting your time.
It is balanced and the AI has no difficulty with it.

Btw do you know how to whip population to hurry buildings and units with slavery? Is that not possible anymore?
Whipping was disabled long ago because the AI could not use it properly.

Q3: The mod allows up to 50 civs in the game (or even 100 if you use the other dll), so there is no need to leave slots for extra civs spawning. They will have slots if needed.

Q5: Zone of control

ZZZ
ZXZ
ZZZ

Any hostile unit moving to a Z tile can only attack the middle tile OR move to a non-Z tile.

Q6: You have to find one for your own taste.
I suggest you try several maps with different setting by starting new games, opening the world builder and examining if you like the result of that script or not.

no answer?
Not even about the 2nd question?

:(
Patience is a wonderful trait ;)

As said above, whipping is not possible in AND. We found that the AI was overusing it and crippling itself, so it was removed. On the other hand, drafting comes earlier. You can start drafting with the Conscription civic, which comes in the Ancient Era. The Slavery civic instead gives bonuses to improvements and lets you create Worker units from combat. One hidden benefit of Slavery is that most of the starting civics have penalties to encourage you to get out of them as fast as you can. Tribal is the starting Society civic and it makes your cities need +50% food to grow. You have to switch to Caste or Slavery to get out of that.

Thank you all!

[q]Patience is a wonderful trait ;)[/q]

Ouch, I'm sorry, I'm really hyped for this weekend and want to get everything right hahaha.

I used to turn on Hide Obsolete buildings/worker actions but it's useful to have more options every game I end up wanting to quickly connect a resource with a cart path instead of a road. Or maybe build a cheap Quern and Standing stone in a new city because their upgraded ones cost 200-300 more hammers.

Thank you all!
Ouch, I'm sorry, I'm really hyped for this weekend and want to get everything right hahaha.
It's okay. I know that feeling too :lol:
Have fun! :goodjob:

Top Bottom