Some questions regarding 'health' in BE

rawrkitty

Chieftain
So ive read most of the threads regarding this and one of the things im pretty worried about is the lack of ability to raise health in the early game, compared to civ. In civ we can raise happiness via luxury resources and early circus/coluseium and some early techs (monarchy/meritocracy)

In BE it seems like there are few, if any ways to majorly combat unhealthyness in the early game, which actually makes sense since this world is supposed to be "harsh" and expansion should be done carfully and slowly.

But what about wide empires? what about the KP who's only ability stems from rapid expansion, how on earth (heh) are we going to play wide in this game with out completley suffering MASSIVE spouts of unhealthinesss throughout the early game?

Many people say the optimal strat will likely revolve around 'waiting' before expanding, but i feel that takes a lot of the advantages out of wide play styles and homogenizes playstyles across the board, am i just flat out wrong on the health system?

I really hope to continue playing wide, as one of my favorite things in civ like games is to expand quite fast and have the largest empire on the planet :p

There are a variety of buildings throughout the game which raise your health. The Clinic is the first of these, and is also your first science building. There is also a quest later which gives you the option to have your clinics produce additional health or another payoff. Later buildings are unlocked through tech. The Prosperity virtue tree also grants you health later on, and most critically, reduces your total un-health at the end.

Thank's for the response, pete, i appreciate it very much.
i cant wait to play and see for myself :p

There are a variety of buildings throughout the game which raise your health. The Clinic is the first of these, and is also your first science building. There is also a quest later which gives you the option to have your clinics produce additional health or another payoff. Later buildings are unlocked through tech. The Prosperity virtue tree also grants you health later on, and most critically, reduces your total un-health at the end.

Unless I'm mistaken theses information aren't available in game right (the benefit of future quests). Don't you feel the benefits of future quests to a building should be indicated somewhere ? (tooltip or civpedia)

Because while it's cool for the surprise the firsts time you play, I fear players will then have to make a list on the internet of how buildings can evolve and if this information isn't available in game you will have to keep looking at an "outside the game" source of information (in a proportion greater than past games that is). This can be annoying I think.

Unless I'm mistaken theses information aren't available in game right (the benefit of future quests). Don't you feel the benefits of future quests to a building should be indicated somewhere ? (tooltip or civpedia)

That's an interesting point to consider. I'll take it to the team and let them mull it over.

Because while it's cool for the surprise the firsts time you play, I fear players will then have to make a list on the internet of how buildings can evolve and if this information isn't available in game you will have to keep looking at an "outside the game" source of information (in a proportion greater than past games that is). This can be annoying I think.

Very Much agree, regular building quests should be available in the civilopedia (connected to the building).. that is for repeated quests that are the same each time.

Regarding the OP, there is also the ability to get health from improvements... which means you can get enough pop to work all tiles on the map.

So, Pete, is the AI better at combat, especially ranged combat, and at tactically maneuvering their units, or is it pretty much just the Civ 5 AI again?

Another thing to remember is that negative health isn't as bad as negative happiness in Civ V. You don't get -75% growth as soon as you hit -1, you just get some -10% penalties.

So, Pete, is the AI better at combat, especially ranged combat, and at tactically maneuvering their units, or is it pretty much just the Civ 5 AI again?

Way to go, you scared Pete off...you gotta throw him some softballs before you throw the hard curve!

That's an interesting point to consider. I'll take it to the team and let them mull it over.

An events tab on the civilopedia datalinks would be very much appreciated. One of the best things about the Civ series is how little one has to go to a third party source to find out about. I don't mind reading the SA Civ threads, or Civ Fanatics or other sites to read up on people crunching the numbers but a list of events sounds like something that would better fit in the datalinks.

one of the easier ways to go wide is to use this tactic.
Artists+clinic. Tech ecology for vivarium then pioneering then engineering.
og straight to mind over matter(5 policies(7 health) then to eudaimonia(-25% unhealth). then 3 more prosperity policies. Build Earth relic first then another soldier then vivarium, then another soldier, then 2 colonists.
this should only be attempted if you are alone. also it will give you an inzane start.
1 unhappiness per 1 pop city.
You can ics With ease as long as you plan Ahead in civ BE

one of the easier ways to go wide is to use this tactic.
Artists+clinic. Tech ecology for vivarium then pioneering then engineering.
og straight to mind over matter(5 policies(7 health) then to eudaimonia(-25% unhealth). then 3 more prosperity policies. Build Earth relic first then another soldier then vivarium, then another soldier, then 2 colonists.
this should only be attempted if you are alone. also it will give you an inzane start.
1 unhappiness per 1 pop city.
You can ics With ease as long as you plan Ahead in civ BE

Actually, you want to get genetics first (+2 and +1 health buildings there)

Am I picking up on a community consensus that Health will be the most critical resource in BE, more so than any other? Does it seem to others that there are fewer ways to grow and maintain health than there are for Energy, Science and Culture?

Am I picking up on a community consensus that Health will be the most critical resource in BE, more so than any other? Does it seem to others that there are fewer ways to grow and maintain health than there are for Energy, Science and Culture?

No, but more health + food= more pop= more of everything else
And food does seem easy to get

Not sure. From the four 'pillars' you mentioned, its the most unknown variable to us.
I made the effort of counting up all the health provided by the known facilities (AriochIV's BE Analyst) and I came up on 14:health:/city for the Purity track, with an added 20% increase from the Bionics Lab. Make it 17:health:. Sounds a pretty hefty base total to me. And appearantly improvements, quests,... (and even some units?) can add to that.

Top Bottom