1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Questions & some Rant after playing the Demo

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kordanor, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

Heya,

well, most of the mechanics and features were already known before, so I won't mention anything about that.
    Basically I expected to already know what awaits me. Well, for the biggest part this was true, but basically everything which occured which I didn't expect was negative.
    Therefore I have to say that I am a little disappointed.

Engine/Graphics: First thing I realized was that the graphics aren't actually that cool as I think they were. Mostly due to the lack of AA most probably. In addition I got dual screen and as the game does not have a option to run it in complete full screen or in windowed full screen, but it always runs in a mixture of these, scrolling to the left impossible that way, and starting to browse on the other screen minimizes the game. Horrible solution. While there are alternatives of course (arrow keys/minimap/drag with left mousekey) it still feels "cheap" / clumsy.
    EDIT: On Dx10/11 it has an option for windowed mode, which has no scrolling option for ANY side and which disables to be able to click on the menu button on the top right. Doesn't seem to be that polished either.

At the very beginning I was looking some some stuff in the user interface which I didn't find. City screen, where to assign the workers? Well, I found it and in the full game you probably learn that in the tutorial. When attacking a barbarian unit then I realized I got a 33%...well, what from? I opened the Civilopedia and was shocked by the bad quality of the help there. While units and so on are quite nicely listed there, the game concepts are descibed rather short and bad. The search function is not of much help. I also searched for an option about how to allocate the next tile you get in your city with culture. I did't even find a culture entry about it. Well, I guess there isn't an option and you are screwed if your city has no single hammer in the first tiles and the next one you get by culture is...additional food. Well, you need to buy it then I guess.
    I also looked for a button with which I can disable growth, but I guess there isn't one.
    While light unhappiness only stops your growth you might have wanted to disable it for one city for a short time, so that your science city (or whatever) can still grow without penality. You will probably always be able to circumvent that by putting your citizens to unemployed status, but still...

When I researched Iron Working I realized that outdated units can't be produced anymore. Combined with the ressource system it does not feel that clever. This way I could not produce Warriors anymore as they were outdated and no swordsman as I didn't have any iron. So all I was able to build were spearman, which I can't upgrade to swordman though. I guess in the later game you can screw yourself with that big time.

After that I got iron and I had to scratch my head again. Producing a warrior costs 40 hammers, or you build it for 200 Gold. To produce a swordman costs 80 hammers or 410 gold.
    So...the upgrading costs are 90 Gold and granted 22 xp? Didn't seem balanced or logic to me.

All in all I was a little disappointed. I sound very negative here because this is what I experienced today. All the "good things" I already experienced earlier. It didn't really feel right though, not the "Civilization Feeling" I expected. Which might also have been because: Not my favored game speed / it was a demo. Anyways I will keep my preorder up, so it's really not THAT bad. ;)

Anyways, I would like to hear your thoughts about that AND if you know something about 33% barb bonus, stop growth or an allocate culture tile option.

PS: And about the build order thing (mentioned in other threads): Well, I got so much food and the game was that easy on Prince that I was able to build the Stonehenge and the Great Library right away. The Barbs were as weak and the Cities as strong as I expected.

2. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

So I am right when guessing there aren't any options for next-culture-tile change or stopping growth?

3. em dash

em dash Chieftain

There is an "Avoid Growth" button:

civv----avoid-growth.jpg

4. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

I would like to write down some impressions after playing the demo last night:

1. Cities: food easy to get, production not so easy, culture picks up the place and it makes a significant difference who is the civ in question.
    2. Units feel more "down to earth" and the combat (other than skirmishes) feels like war, not just mathematics of troop stockpile (stack of doom gone - very good!).
    3. Diplomacy is OK, although I did not explore that so much, as the demo is just kind of short.
    4. Civs clearly show their traits in gameplay - I mean the AI. Elizabeth spawned 3 cities already by the time I had barely founded my second and the other civs were only 1 city civs...
    5. City states... Now here there are some very nice things and also some strange things: it is nice to have them, they fill some blanks, they interract a lot with the players and they even cause indirect interaction between major players... I saw Elizabeth getting it on with Bismark because one loved a city state and the other another city state and the city states wanted to eliminate each other... WWI all over again :)
    There are a lot of city states on the map and because they tend to ask a lot of players there is a lot of movement on the map... This I do not like entirely...

Overall the game feels somewhat slower than Civ4, with turns more demanding in the early game.
    Tile aquisition is excellent - I love it. It is the best feature so far but it could be that I like it more than the others because I am expansive and like to settle to maximize resource gathering. I streched a city on a river valley and kept away from the desert tiles and had so much food I did not know what to do with it, etc.

If I remember something else I will post again.

PS The dumb-ass "canyourunit" said I did not meet the minimum req. because of the CPU speed... It said you need min. 1.8GHz and I "only have 2.19GHz"... Imagine that! :lol:
    I ran the demo on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a T6600 proc., 4GB of RAM on DDR2, nVidia GT 230M graphics.
    So do not feel dissapointed too soon with the minimum reqs. I would recommend getting the demo and testing directly.

5. gunter

gunter King

Can city tiles be sold as well ?

6. craig123

craig123 Prince

I guess all civs (and city states?) get a 33% bonus when fighting barbarians - I haven't seen this confirmed though.
    There is a stop growth option in the city screen.
    You cannot choose which tiles are acquired by culture. The city is supposed to choose which tile will be most useful (so it will get resources first, then get food/production/gold depending on what it needs most). I'm not sure whether your city allocation focus influences this. You can always buy tiles though.

7. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

You get a bonus on fighting barbarians, this bonus differs with difficulty level, i thinks its 100% on settler, and 33% on prince. It's called the uncivilised bonus/penalty.

8. Kordanor

Kordanor Warlord

Thanks a lot for your answers! :)