Some Things Never Change

gmaharriet

Ancient Crone
I'm playing as the French and doing pretty well. I just finished researching railroad, and NO COAL. This seemed to happen in half of my C3C games, and I was really hoping it would be plentiful in C4. :mad:

I really wanted a nice, peaceful space ship game. I've had no wars or angry neighbors. I have quite a bit of territory and every other important resource so far. The nearest coal is on another continent and I only have one ship. :cry:

gmaharriet said:
I'm playing as the French and doing pretty well. I just finished researching railroad, and NO COAL. This seemed to happen in half of my C3C games, and I was really hoping it would be plentiful in C4. :mad:

I really wanted a nice, peaceful space ship game. I've had no wars or angry neighbors. I have quite a bit of territory and every other important resource so far. The nearest coal is on another continent and I only have one ship. :cry:

I used to restart the game in civ3 when I couldn't stay peaceful the whole time. But I learned to embrace going to war for resources...it's fun to play the game in different ways. I've always been a turtle, not a warmonger, but now that turtling is actually a viable strategy, the fact that you don't HAVE to fight makes me WANT to fight sometimes.

The AI won't trade to you?

I'm a warmonger all the way!!!:ar15::ar15: What fun would the game be without the Glory and Honor of battle??? If you REALLY want to play a peaciful game, go to custom game and select the option to have the civs in perminate peace.You might have to change your name because it takes your PC's name(strange). Just go to your Civ4 folder and go to Civ4 Config folder. Then scroll down to the middle or bottom and change it.

It's been my experience so far that, even though there are occasions when a critical resource is missing from my empire, most of the time if I expand enough in the early game I'll get them all. The problem of getting vital resources is far less of an issue than it was in CIV III. Also, if I am missing something, the computer opponents are usually willing to trade. Again, a big improvement over Civ III.

No trade (yet) because I'm several techs ahead of the AI in that area (only playing on Warlord). I really made a beeline for railroads (insofar as possible). I guess I could gift the necessary techs to an AI with 2 coal, but I don't really want them to catch up to me.

I don't mind warring a bit AFTER I have rails, but dislike it earlier. I do have a fairly decent military, but only 1 boat. I'm still fumbling on build and tech strategies right now, and when I DO go to war, I prefer to concentrate on that and nothing else (like in an AW game). I've never been really good at Civ and I usually just try one new idea each game, but the learning curve on C4 is very steep.

Top Bottom