1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some tips for domination win

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by daviscor, Dec 27, 2011.

1. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Hi, I'm having a little trouble winning by domination on King, Tiny and Pangaea, I play with Japan or Mongolia.
    I just feel my strategy is sloppy: I puppet all the capitals and I raze all the other cities.
    I have no more than 3 un-pupped cities. I always make a warrior rush and it always works well. Then, when I have Samurais (on Japan) or Keshiks (on Mongolia) I attack another civilization (this is when things start to go wrong) their empire is much bigger than mine and so is their army...
    So what should I do? How many cities should I have? What should I do with conquered citties?How should I use GG's or Khans (I don't how...)?
    I would be really apreciated if some one described to me a detailed strategy.
    Thanks.

2. KevinMiles90000

KevinMiles90000 Warlord

always end your turn keeping a 2 hex distance between your keshiks and enemy units, more if you know they have knights/lancers

3. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

Don't randomly raze other cities. Size, local resources, and general city location are hugely important. Plan to keep some and manage happiness. The major benefit of your puppets if you can manage the unhappiness is the gold they generate. They automatically focus on gold, which allows your core production cities to focus on unit production. Additionally, they will all add to your science yield, which may help you to gain a tech edge. A tech advantage is important in a domination game to allow you to have better units than your opponents.

4. daviscor

daviscor Prince

You're right. Thanks.

5. Morpheas

Morpheas Warlord

You should always be watching your happiness, economy and science when a city goes from rebellion -> 100% puppet. If the city brings you nothing immediately (And since the puppet Ai focuses on gold, it'll be 10+ turns before you see any real value) then consider razing it. Personally, I look to see what the production in the city is. If its like 1-5, then I raze the city. But if its high enough to pump out gold production cities quickly, then I keep it. Also a factor is the food. If the food is at a value of 1-2, then it wont be growing anytime soon, and the value of the city will drop.

Namely, keep high population cities and raze the ones with 1-3, unless they have strategic resources and luxury ones.

6. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Thanks, that will be useful. But the real problem here is the attack, I think I lose because of the position of my troops. What should be their position?

7. bds2020

bds2020 Chieftain

The position of the troops vary depending on their qualities, but generally you want to lead with melee units that can take an attack, with ranged units sitting behind. Also use melee units to block roads into cities you've taken. I highly recommend the MadDjinn and WainyCiv LP series on YouTube. They excel at troop placement when attacking other civs.

8. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Ok, thanks.

9. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

I play as Mongalia a lot, so I'll give you my strategy for them. First, settle your capital near as many luxuries as possible. For production, go with one scout, then follow with monument. Manually explore with the warrior; don't set him to auto. Tech, if you've got decent production and growth, shoot for writing and get the GL, if not, tech toChivalry ASAP. I would recomend snarzberry's strat guide for the best way to accomplish this. The key to Mongolia is getting those keshiks and running before anyone can deal with them. Research animal husbandry, send liberty settler to best source of horses available, buy or build another worker to improve it, or, better yet, settle the city on top of the horse, and get that resource immediately. Also, if there is a luxury near the horses that you don't have in the cap, get those too, if possible. It helps, even just a little can save you from the dreaded " very unhappy" combat penalty. As for formation, have your khan three tiles away from the city, preferably with a keshik on the same tile with him. Have your keshiks positioned so that when they move forward to fire, they are within 2 tiles from the khan, and are within that same distance when they retreat, placing injured units next to the khan to heal( this will most likely be melee units used to take the cites, especially horseman.)

Anyway, big wall of text, strategy for begining and formation set-up. Quick note: make groups of units having this for the basic mix: 3 Keshiks, 1 Khan, 1 Horseman/ strong melee unit if pressed for horses. Two-three squads like this can pretty much wipe every other Civ off the map in a matter of turns.

P.S. Try bribing Civ's to DoW on your target to soften them up and pull away the bulk of their army from your invasion route BEFORE you attack, it helps build momentuem and gets you some temporary brownie points to boot.

Can't help you on Japan, haven't played them much.

10. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Nice information. Thanks!

11. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

I personally hate razing stuff, the gold and science you get from puppeted cities is massive and it doesn't cost you anything other than happiness to keep them. Once you solve the happiness issue there's no drawback to keeping puppets and the benefits are huge and will increase exponentially throughout the game as you use the gold to buy up maritime city states and increase the population of your puppets even further making you even more gold.

To solve the happiness problem I go with the following: After filling out the liberty tree put 2 points in piety for organised religion (+1 happiness per monument, temple & monastary), and fill out the right side of honour (+1 happiness per garrisoned city, +1 happiness per wall; you also get the nice 10% flanking bonus and 33% cheaper unit upgrades from this side of the tree)

So this works out you'll get roughly +3-5 happiness when you take a new puppet, 1 from monument, 1 from garrison, 1 from connecting roads (Meritocracy) and possibly the AI will build a wall or temple as well, add to that the luxuries you'll be picking up. If happiness is still a problem when you hit industrial you can pick up Order for an extra +1 per city, otherwise just go straight into Autocracy for the army benefits.

12. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Yiu're right, but usually I just raze cities because first: They don't have useful resources (the ones that don't have any) or second: I just focused on cleaning that civ from the map and I'm close to finnish the game, so that's not worth it...

13. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

As Mongolia or Sonhai, only puppet cities that a) have valuable strategic/luxury resources, b) are in a strategic location(i.e. the first city on another continent, or one that creates a choke point against the enemy) c) have a world wonder built in them, or d) have a population above 4 and below 8. This balance is key, less than four, you don't get any benefits from puppeting (none worth the prolonged unhappiness, anway), more than 8, and it's nearly impossible to keep from going unhappy and staying that way. Always make sure the benefits outway the drawbacks; if that city has horses, but you've already got more than you can use, it's not going to be very useful, especially if there aren't any lux's nearby. Generally, if the AI went for ICS, just take the core cities; you'll get the most bang for your buck.