1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

some tips when using aesthetics?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Sammydakid, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Sammydakid

Sammydakid Chieftain

I would like a few pointers from players who frequently work aesthetics into their game, its a policy tree that I have rarely tried and on the once in a blue moon occasions I do use it, well I end up wishing I had not.

I have considered a few things to make it stronger like pushing for art funding in the congress but still could use some tips.

2. zukenft

zukenft Xx420NoWondeRHon0rStaRtxX

it's not bad if you want to win culture victory, but not by much. it have 3 subpar policies that is not useful at all for tourism. you still have to supplement the policy with tourism tenets.

3. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

If you manage to get one of the early wonders you might want to get Aesthetics when it opens up.

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

1. If you are only dipping into it; get the opener and the left one: Faster specalists from guilds + cheaper cultural buidings.

2. Don't be afraid to "waste" part of the benift by building an Ampithere in your capital before the policy; most of the benefit are to lower production cities and also opera houses (& museums)l Along the same lines it's okay to "waste" the Monument portion of the benefit

3. If you are going for the full tree, be sure to open Exploration to build the Louvre (no other Exploration policies needed). The Louvre appears to be the largest theming bonus in the game.

4. Before selecting the free artist policy, check to make sure you aren't very close to the next natural one. The free one drives up the price of the next artist so it's best to get it right after having naturally gotten one.

5. After you have that policy that gives culture from happiness, consider building more happiness buildings than you normally would.

6. Don't forget science; especially if you complete this tree.

5. Sammydakid

Sammydakid Chieftain

Alright so I just tried out a new strategy I invented let me know what you think;

Picked Babylon as my civ and went straight for writing, then after placing my academy quickly researched drama and poetry with its help for classical age, writers guild, and aesthetics. immediately began building the writers guild.

First three policies went into tradition for the opener, 4 free culture buildings, and monarchy. Then opened aesthetics. timing was pretty good; aesthetics was opened right as the writers guild completed.

I got a free amphitheater from tradition which was nice, filling it with my first great writer. Took fine arts as my next policy because I had lots of extra happiness, followed by artistic genius which I used to fill the great work of art slot in my palace.

expanded at this point and took the faster culture building construction policy to help quickly get another amphitheater for my next great writer.

Im not too sure what to do from here; the last two aesthetics polices and the finisher are not too appealing, thinking maybe just finish trad at this point. Should I go for guilds and get an artists guild?

6. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

Taking these two policies at this stage was probably a mistake, IMO. Extra happiness can (and should) usually be converted into cash by selling off your luxuries. And I think taking artistic genius early is always a mistake because it increments the cost of Great Artists. Better to generate a couple Great Artists with your guild while they're still relatively cheap, and *then* use Artistic Genius to get a free GA.

Instead, after opening Aesthetics it probably would have been best to finish Tradition for the growth bonuses as well as free aqueducts.

7. MKDELTA3

MKDELTA3 Warlord

If I have built sistine Chapel and opened Aesthetics I try to use the bonus to generate a second renaissance era artist for the slot if it looks like I can't generate another one in time. It's even more usefull if you happen to be able to get both Uffizi and Sistine Chapel since there is a real chance I want to get out of Industrial Era ASAP (beeline Radio for ideologies) and it gets more difficult and slower to generate enough artists from the same era later on in the game.

8. mikeville

mikeville Chieftain

I've never thought (or heard of) doing this before. Why wouldn't you keep racking up the extra happiness for golden ages?

9. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I love aesthetics but I am always geared towards culture victory. In that case I will open it and keep putting policies until I hit Renaissance. Then I will get rationalism + secularism, then back to aesthetics til completion. That works out pretty well for me (on immortal) with aesthetics completed prior to the world fair (assuming it's the second resolution).

For a non culture victory, I would probably just take the opener if anything. More writers & artists for culture bombs & golden ages are always good. They play well together...pop the artist for the golden age, then the culture bomb on the last turn of the golden age for max effect. This helps you get a lot more policies & tenets, which is good for any VC.

10. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

cash on hand is generally more productive than the prospect of a slightly faster golden age in the future. Buying a worker or allying a CS, for example, can have a big immediate impact.

11. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

But there is a window as you work up to Hermitage where the second policy will help get amps and opera houses going faster. And then policy 3, more culture if you have a World Wonder (by then you should) and a Golden Age. This leaves you with hermitage and culture modifier to use on future picks like Rationalism.

12. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I am just not sure it's worth going that far for VCs other than culture. Yes, those policies will increase your culture a good amount, but enough to offset those policy costs such that you will finish rationalism (or whatever afterwards) faster? I doubt that, even with good world fair results. I could definitely be wrong, but that's what my gut says.

13. Sammydakid

Sammydakid Chieftain

Thanks for the tips guys. next time my friends and I gather round the computer beers in hand for a civilization game I'm going to throw an aesthetics build at them and see what they say!

14. sendos

sendos Immortal

Getting flourishing of the arts (+33% culture for each city with a wonder + golden age) provides a huge boost to culture and it would shield you against enemy tourism rather well.

15. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

In the early game the extra 240 gold (or 7 gpt) per luxury is way more helpful than saving extra happiness for a slightly earlier golden age.

What's more, you generally don't even want early golden ages in the first place. Golden ages increase your culture, production, and gold income by a percentage. When you're generating tiny amounts of all three, then increasing them by 20% doesn't really help much. There are exceptions, of course. Triggering a GA when building your National College is often really really helpful, but I'm not good enough to micromanage exactly when my excess happiness generates a GA.

Once you get your empire up & running (approximately mid-Renaissance & on) you usually start to generate significant amounts of culture, gold, and/or production, so the GA multiplier is able to have more of an effect.

16. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Warlord

My only tip is Save as much faith as possible then as soon as you get the internet start buying GM with faith as many you can and start tourism bombing everyone. You can do it before the internet but it won't be nearly as effective!

17. MKDELTA3

MKDELTA3 Warlord

Aesthetics has one of my favorite faith-buyable GPs since you get three different ones and buying one of them doesn't increase the faith cost of the other two. Chaining Great Artist golden ages is also very nice. Especialy if you're playing Brazil. :mischief:

18. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Warlord

Funny you should say that! I actually played an aggressive CV game recently as Persia doing just that! The extra movement really help me storm those citys for great works! :D