1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some ugly GFX issue I hope they'll sort out...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by RisingSun, Sep 5, 2016.

1. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

Hi again... I'm loving Civilization 6 so far, but a few OCD issues are plaguing me... such as:

- In the religion screen, the religion icon is too close to the religion name;

Spoiler :

- The mini work of art in the works of art gallery looks ugly... better put an icon instead of it;

Spoiler :

- The color of the cultural city states is unreadable... Nan Madol/Vilnius are worse than the Inca or the Assyrians colors in Civ5...

- The text spacing/kerning is generally wrong...

Do you believe they're still in time to rectify such things or will we get something that resembles Beyond Earth:Rising Tide?

I know I sound like a raving lunatic, but since I work with UI and GFX... it's sort of my thing... :sad:

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I agree the UI could use a spruce. I am most concerned about how everything is basically just blue plastic, including and especially the main menu, which doesn't evoke exploration so much as "we should have used a scroll color scheme here but we decided to go with blue plastic."

3. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

The first screenshot, eh, I see no issue. The second, it would be very sloppy and unprofessional for it to be that way at release, so that one I'm not too concerned about. As for different city state colors, again might be changed, might not. Depends on if people in their QA depts are having the same issue and how much of a priority. Text spacing is another issue of sloppiness. I'd like to say no worries, will be fixed, but Civ:BE. So who knows.

4. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I can see your point, but I'm not too concerned. While it would be nice to have those ironed out, I'm more concerned with gameplay and balance.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

5. SebNeg

SebNeg Chieftain

UI polish usually comes late in development. I'm pretty sure this is still work in progress...

6. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

Expansions also change the ui up

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

On the first screenshot, some of the screenshots that came from live streams were on laptops; it will have somewhat more space between the Star of David and Judaism if played on a larger monitor.

8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

UI on 800-wide screen was a pain. Bad adaptation for different screen sizes is actually a bad sign as it's much more difficult to fix than just icon spacing. Also, with the UI being so dependable on resolution, I wonder how the game will play on high-density screens.

9. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I am unsure if this thread can be used as a catch-all to bring up concerns about the graphics. If this is off-topic, I apologize.

The river deltas are quite ugly and the rivers in general don't look that great in Civ VI from what we've seen so far. I hope they improve those.

cIV did a really good job with rivers and Civilization 5 was a step backwards in that regard.

10. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

If this makes the issues more visible to Firaxis and the community in general, why not?

I love the new art style and the artistic direction in general, only a few minor shortcomings may sour the experience a bit.

I truly hope they get the civilization colors right this time. Assyria and Inca were unreadable in CivV. And some civs were hard to distinguish (Ethiopians/Barbarians; etc.)

11. nunor

nunor King

What bothers me the most is the apparently indiscriminate use of serifs. In the first screenshot OP posted, button text is unserifed; in the second, everything is serifed. I'm no designer, but there's just too much serifed text IMO, I really think it spoils the UI.

12. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I can only find one moderately-decent screenshot of Civ 4 (if anyone has a better one, preferably at a modern resolution, that'd be great):

What about that is really good? How does Civ VI thus far not match up?

13. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I study in front-end web and application development and UI is my passion / specialty, so I feel your pain. The things you mention are just a few examples. There are lots of little and not so little things that makes me cringe, but I hope the majority of those things get ironed out by release.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Thanks for that. :)

Yeah, I agree. I love the new art style and art direction, as well. :)

Still things for them to improve, of course.

@Gorbles Just the fact that there were oxbows, islands in rivers and proper river deltas in cIV. I hope we'll see that in Civ VI. :)

15. lockstep

lockstep Prince

Seconded.

16. chaotoroboto

chaotoroboto Warlord

For players like me, the area where Civ 4 exceeds 5, and so far 6, is in readability. At a lower resolution and decade-old graphics, you can tell: where the borders are, which resources are connected, which tiles are being worked.

I just don't like Civ 5 Vanilla's assumption that I might get confused by the information I need to make game decisions, so it should all be hidden from me and require mods to make available. The expansions helped tremendously.

Civ 5 has something up on 4, in that 4 refuses to let you start your turn until you've set production in cities where the queue is empty, or chosen new research if your last tech is complete. Civ 5 at least lets you defer those decisions until you survey your empire and make an informed choice.

Edit: my only real concern for 6's interface, so far, is that it has too many things - especially promotions - that are just really easy to miss and have combat implications when you do.

17. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Oh definitely. There's no place for serifs in a computer application IMO.

18. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Mismatched fonts is the Devil's work, but to say there is no place for serif fonts when plenty of stylised serif fonts work very well for certain purposes demonstrates a lack of understand why serif fonts existed in the first place.

19. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

For myself, I think my biggest complaint about the visuals is that the districts look too separated. They don't give me a sense of being parts of the same city. They just look like pieces on a game board. I mean, I know that they are literally that, but it would be nice if they looked more integrated with the city center and with each other, so it would look more like a sprawling city.

I liked that when a road went up to a river in Civ IV before you had the technology to build bridges, the road would end in a pier on the river, like there was a ferry service in place. It was a small thing, but it was nicely immersive.