1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some useless feedback

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Funak, Jan 27, 2015.

1. MayNilad Man

MayNilad Man King

out of curiosity, why not have it the other way around? ranged ships not having resource dependency.

I don't play with naval all that much, but I would think that ranged is generally weaker since it takes more to kill something with it, and you get no money from attacking cities with it. That being said, it would better correspond with land-based melee defensive units (pikemen, etc.) not having resource dependencies while the melee attackers do.

2. Funak

Funak Deity

Ranged ships are better for attacking cities as usually cities only have room for a few meleeships to attack while you can fit a lot of ranged ships within bombardmentrange, even more if you have extra range or logistics. Ranged ships also don't have to be placed as close to the shore to attack meaning that less groundbased attackers will be able to hit them. Meleeships are really useful in the open sea and while defending as they tend to blast ranged ships to smithereens.

Don't get me wrong, meleeships are pretty good vs cities now aswell but you usually want ranged ships to back them up anyways.

3. MayNilad Man

MayNilad Man King

if melee ships are much better than ranged for sea dominance, I suppose it would be good to have them without resource dependencies so that sea dominance isn't tied to who plopped what city where.

On the other hand, it's the opposite case on land, where resource ownership plays a large role in land dominance.

I guess that's a fair trade-off, where if you don't have certain resources, you can at least contest the waves.

4. Funak

Funak Deity

Having a mix is still the most powerful naturally, but one on one or two on two meleeships win over ranged ships. They are kinda like tanks and rocket artillery.

5. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Have you considered using the Scramble for Africa Explorer model or would you prefer a port of the Civ4 model? Note that Civ4Col also has two potentially interesting models, the scout and the seasoned scout.

If you'd prefer either of these over the Civ5 explorer, I'd be happy to give it a go. :)

6. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

The civ 5 explorer model is okay - it is what I used in the latest version. I do like the conquistador-esque model from civ 4, as it fits the time period in which the explorer model unlocks (renaissance). If it'd be easier you could probably also reskin the current explorer or scout, but that might be a bit more work.

G

7. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

So, been working on it for a bit... and took some inspiration from the currently used icon, so I took the hat from a Civ4Col unit (still working on the shape, trying to make it less tricorne, more Christopher Columbus):

I'm still cleaning up the textures as well but wanted to know: hat good or bad? I thought not using a helmet makes it a bit less "military" and distinguishes it more from an actual Conquistador (and Tercio) unit (from which I might steal bits for the texture later).

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Looking great! I like the mix of military and explorer styles. As always, excellent work!

G