Some wonders perhaps too strong

jjkrause84

King
It seems like MANY wonders give you "you can choose any Legal civic" or the like. This seems to be not only overpowered but it also takes a lot of fun away from the game as there is less "I can't wait until I get 'x' tech so I can finally adopt Bureaucracy!". Maybe make it so these wonders only open up a single new civic (i.e. the Sphinx opens up Bureaucracy early or the Parthenon gives you access to Representation or whatever). Might be an interesting way to let the player prioritize more.

It also seems like (maybe!) wonders are a bit cheap too....I seem to have loads of them. Then again this is my very first pay-through, I'm only on Noble (since this is, essentially, a new game) and I'm on Turn 163.....so don't take my word to heart.

It seems like MANY wonders give you "you can choose any Legal civic" or the like. This seems to be not only overpowered but it also takes a lot of fun away from the game as there is less "I can't wait until I get 'x' tech so I can finally adopt Bureaucracy!". Maybe make it so these wonders only open up a single new civic (i.e. the Sphinx opens up Bureaucracy early or the Parthenon gives you access to Representation or whatever). Might be an interesting way to let the player prioritize more.

It also seems like (maybe!) wonders are a bit cheap too....I seem to have loads of them. Then again this is my very first pay-through, I'm only on Noble (since this is, essentially, a new game) and I'm on Turn 163.....so don't take my word to heart.

Feedback noted. I don't really plan to change the civic category ones though; the vanilla game already has a wonder (the Pyramid) to pick any Government civic, which is the strongest and most useful category imo, and there are SO MANY total wonders in MM that you really do have to pick and choose which few to go for, at least at moderately-high difficulties and up. Put another way, at lower difficulties you can build most of the wonders in the vanilla game too; there just aren't nearly as many of them in total as there are in this mod, so getting them all there doesn't seem like AS big a deal as it does here, heh.

(Also, there are generally a lot more things in my techs than normal, so there are usually plenty of things to look forward to in techs besides unlocked civics. I do understand what you mean though.)

One final thing to mention on this topic: I'll probably have to bug Fuyu to get it finished, but he was considering updating his AI civic code to support the civic prereq system somebody else made for the vanilla AI code semi-recently. I would use it not only to add civics that are prereqs for other civics, but also to add civic combinations that are invalid together, such as Pacifism and Military Training. If and when this feature gets added it should blunt the power of the category-unlocking wonders some (which I originally thought would be a bad thing, but now it sounds like blunting them would be a good thing ;)).

As far as the build costs, that's partially a result of me lowering all building costs, for regular buildings and wonders both, a bit relative to units a long time ago, versus vanilla. This part also seems fine in my games... I dunno. I'll think about it while my current game with Daryn progresses, but I can't promise I'll change anything.

Fair enough. It may be that I'm just playing at WAY too easy a level (I normally played at Prince...not the hardest level anyhow). I'll ramp up the difficulty in the future to see if that makes things better.

Top Bottom