1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone convince me to keep the game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lord_Galvatross, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Lord_Galvatross

Lord_Galvatross Chieftain

Hopefully I can be convinced into keeping Civ V versus trying to return it with your help. First let me say I am a long time fan of this site first time post-ter.
    So my neighbor picks up Civ5 on D-day and has me help him install it on his work comp. Which failed the minimum req. We then install it on another laptop with a better CPU and integrated video card. It was then when I started keeping track of the things I didn't like.

1. The autoplay didn't autoplay. Infact it wouldn't install from the disk. So we downloaded it from Stream, which took 30min.

2. It's on Stream. Stream just doesn't do it for me. And brings back bad memories of how excited I was when Supreme Commander 2 was released. And how quickly I HATED almost everything about it.

3. I buy it. Install it on my comp. Core 2 Ext ed. 9770 oc'd 4GHz, 4GB ram, SLI'ed GTX280's. And it crashes every 15min. I've played 90minutes since I got it. You do the math on crashes.

4. Then I come back here and read how much Civ 5 is really Civ Revolution 2.0, how sad.

I just don't know.
    Gonna try updating the display adaptors but usually it will make other "stable" games "unstable."
    Maybe if I could play a game longer than 15min I would start to like it.
    Anyone feel like sharing their opinion?

2. Folket

Folket Deity

I find civ 5 a great game that is to easy because the AI does not know how to use their often superior army.

3. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Once you activated it on steam your stuck with it forever if you live in the U.S. Eurozone and other areas are a bit better with consumer rights. I live in the U.S. and its sitting on the shelf almost unused until some major patching etc and even then ill probably play civ IV more often.

Edit** if the fact that you probably can't return it isnt good enough reason to keep it.. then consider this.. the DVD makes a shiny expensive coaster you can lord over your friends when they visit.

4. Some guy

Some guy Warlord

I have the same problems as you but I have a feeling you probably won't get your money's worth in returning/ selling it...

5. dannythefool

dannythefool King

I'd say keep it and try again later. Games are sometimes buggy and crash-prone directly after release. Not trying to defend it, but it's just the way it is. They're already patching crashes, they'll eventually fix yours, too.

6. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

7. Steedward

Steedward Chieftain

Have you tried playing it without the overclock, just using stock settings for everything?

8. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Warlord

I had the same problem with crashes. :mad:

The game crashed every time I opened up the civilopedia (or whatever it is called) or tried to use "advanced" settings for setting up a game. I had to play the Direct 9 version instead of the one with the better graphics.

But last night I simply updated the Nvidia drivers on my computer and it worked. So updating any of the graphics drivers might help. And I have a new Sony VAIO computer that is only a few months old. So its not like I was running the game on a piece of garbage.

9. Lord Monkey

Lord Monkey Chieftain

Chances are if you've entered your serial, the game is yours forever. If its completely unplayable, you're stuck waiting for patch fixes.

I don't like Steam, but it's easily one of the least obnoxious gaming software platforms around. Have you ever tried to use PlayOnline? Good lord.

10. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Update your graphics drivers and the game and if that doesn't help go to the Firaxis technical support and politely tell them EXACTLY what your problem is.

Not sure why you had to download it, this is a bug that has a few fixes in Steam Support however I'm sorry but I completely forget how to find the article.

However, you being able to download it in 30 minutes (!?) is pretty damn good so you should feel lucky, it takes most people at LEAST a couple of HOURS.

11. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

Can I have your stuff?

12. Novem

Novem Chieftain

As already mentioned it's Steam not Stream. Steam is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Second, please check and make sure all your drivers are up to date. Also check the Tech section for ideas on what might be causing your crashes.

Third, what you read on the forums are opinions. Have you read those that favor the game? Because there are quite a few people that actually enjoy the game (raises hand). It's not Civ4. It wasn't meant to be. It's Civ5.

Lastly if you have already purchased the game via Steam, it is yours. There really isn't any way to return it.

13. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

If your problem is just about performance, keep it. I have an old PC and it runs, albeit slowly. You can post a thread asking for tech support. If your problem is you don't like the game, sell it. I'm trying to sell mine.

14. Katzenkrimis

Katzenkrimis Chieftain

I feel for you. It's a lot of money to just throw away. Holding on to games like Supcom2 proved unworthy in the end. As I could never get past the poor graphics, environments, and balance issues.

This game is a mess, too. But for different reasons. Personally, I will never like this game. It's beyond repair. But with some modding, patches and a little patience I believe a younger croud will enjoy this game.

So just leave it on your computer for a few weeks. Try and solve the crash issues. If you can't, then all you can do is chalk it up as a loss, voice your opinion, and learn from it.

15. Medicalham

Medicalham Chieftain

*ahem* STEAM, not Stream. I have no idea why people dislike it. Its not bloatware, you can turn it off if you want, and its really not that big of a hassle.

If it crashes so often, turn the settings down, play on dx9, play around with it to see if you can fix it.

Civ V does remind me of Revolution, but im looking at it as a game on its own. This is not an expansion to Civ IV, so stop whining that it wasn't everything you asked for and play it for what it is: the next game in the Civilization series.

I assume future patches will address all bugs and game issues, so if you don't like it now, then wait.

16. the_lor

the_lor Chieftain

3. My computer barely meets minimum specs. It’s never crashed.
    4. This is not Civ Revolution 2.0.

If you like it, keep it. If you don’t, don’t. Nobody needs to convince you to do anything.