Someone Fire this Guy

Yzman

Deity
The military adviser is definitely the most useless of the bunch. At least the other ones tell you something that you may perceive as useful, however the military guy just flat out lies.

"Our war with the Romans is not going well, we should sue for peace immediately"

Looks at map. I have just TAKEN 8 OF THE CITIES. 8! How is this not going well for me?

Then I have Caesar who insists on me giving him everything I own to end the war, when I am clearly winning. I have double the size of my empire and significantly shrunk his.

I figured it out. My military adviser must actually work for the Romans!

The AI obsession with military might is irritating. I'm in a way too long war with Mongolia because even though I continue to take city after city, he thinks he's stronger than me due to military might. The adviser acts the same way, I think.

From everything I've seen it's simply based on your number of units. I'm always told to build more by the advisor, when I'm just driving my meat grinder right over the enemy with a good 10-15 units.

They're ALL useless. So are the yellow "settle here" arrows. Yea, like I'm going to settle on a FLAT tile on the same side of a river as the AI who is less than 20 tiles away? Fat <snipping> chance! I'm settling on the HILL on MY side of the <snipping> river!

That sponge-for-brians military adviser is, by far, the worst of the lot. I can have a city surrounded on all sides, and get the moronic "risky attack" popup on EVERY ATTACK! He *is* working for the enemy!

For that last one though I don't think it takes defensibility into account. Just long-term production yields.

Yeah, I had one of those "We should sue for peace immediately, the Aztec threaten our very existence!" with his next advice being "We're winning! Keep up the pressure!" (Only at war with the Aztec and I had razed 8 of his cities without losing a unit (thanks to the allied CS between us mostly as it gave me a safe-zone loaded with friendly units in which to hide/heal).

For that last one though I don't think it takes defensibility into account. Just long-term production yields.

Good point! It is odd, though, considering that G&K is still *almost* as much of a mandatory military game as the previous version. I should think that defense would override all other considerations. It certainly is when I decide where to settle.

The game judges power level in some pretty odd ways, which causes a lot of annoyance and which is very visible to the player when things are not quite right.

I actually had a game not too long ago where I was attacked by another civ, with the usual, "They threaten our very existence" warnings from my military advisor. I took multiple cities from them, and just for fun, I checked things again right before I sent my final unit into their last city to eliminate them. Because they still had a huge, useless navy, I was told that the war was not going well, and the enemy leader would not go to peace unless I gave him all my luxury resources.

If it would compare total modified strengths, ie. what the promotions bring it up to and if you have the multi-attack promotion count it as double the modified, then the AI and advisers might be less y.

Since the military advisor apparently estimates military might the same way as your opponents do, its not difficult to see why the strategic AI in this game is still TERRIBLE. They declare war on you based on their numerical advantage, you proceed to kick their asses and the AI only starts realizing that they are in a bad spot when their army has been all but annihilated. A decent strategic AI would at least realize that losing a bunch of units within a short timespan (with their enemy losing NONE) means that they picked the wrong fight and that losing their whole army will make them easy prey for other civs on their doorstep. Even moreso when the AI in question is already hated by its neighboors for constant warmongering.

I just wish it would take into account the recent progress of the war. Doesn't matter if you have 8 caravels in a LAKE if I'm capping cities at the rate of 1 every 5/6 turns.

Then I have Caesar who insists on me giving him everything I own to end the war

I had the same story with England. Isabel Insists everything, but later yo insists something and they don't give you anything. I think AI remains a bit ridicolous :D.

They're good for telling you the relative military strength of the other civs and for reminding you where the best cities are for building units (which you might forget once you have like 25-30 cities).

All the advisors are completely useless, don't know why anyone would pull their screen up

Wait, people actually read what they have to say?

I admit I looked at it once for laughs. Some of the information is useful in a generic kind of way. I suppose it could clue you in how far behind you are (although demographics does that better).

Bring back the Civ2 advisors :goodjob:

Link to video.

I think military adviser still hasn't been updated from the days of civ 4.

I would crap in fear of seeing 200 units in a single tile charging at me. But again, there's collateral damage to take care of that kind of stack. However if I was caught off guard by 200 units in a single stack I would definitely lose a city or two.

the Adviser simply don't pay attention to the damage you are inflicting nor the AI.

the AI needs to reanalyze what went wrong for him after throwing 50 units into one area of your empire and failing horribly aka, all die or almost got wiped out. If ai still wishes to keep pressing on the war, they may go ahead and keep on pressing on the war but, don't demand complete capitulation when you're taking heavy losses and not taking any cities. It just shows how butthurt they are and you're winning hardcore.

Ai needs to understand that numbercerial superiority isn't everything in civ 5 when it can be almost everything in civ 4. Mainly due to the virtue of 1upt.

If direct attack fails, attack outlying parts of my empire, aka distant islands if they have one, but not too distant, just distant yet close enough to the AI. Or simply try another part of my empire and if that fails too, well, sucks to be you and you have to admit that pathetically weak army of the human is evenly matched to you and accept your stalemate instead of being butthurt and demanding complete capitulation. And try again in future when you're stronger.

Like, if Monty really wants me dead, but i wipe him out easily, he can do another jaguar rush to fail again, or stop being butthurt and expand properly and tech up for stronger soldiers and try again because i will be teching up.

The Military Advisor is a joke, plain and simple.

Best to ignore him...always. He's not even reliable in combat planning (some civilizations don't show up in his strength reports, and always the civilizations you want).

No, the science advisor is the most useless - he only seems to have one comment. The military advisor calculates relative army sizes at any point in time - he doesn't take into account how the war is actually going.

It's a shame changing the programming of the advisors' advice, and making them more generally useful, wasn't included in G&K - for example the foreign advisor should give advice on where to target espionage operations.

"Our war with the Romans is not going well, we should sue for peace immediately"

Looks at map. I have just TAKEN 8 OF THE CITIES. 8! How is this not going well for me?
That made me chuckle. I agree the advisers are the most useless advisers ever to be in a civ game. The're all idiots.

Now I wish we had the Civ2 advisers back. I miss those guys. Sure, their advice was a little wonky, but it's delivery was highly entertaining and they made more sense than the moronic Civ5 advisers.

"While the men of learning play with their quill pens sire, the city defences stay as thin as parchment. BUILD CITY WALLS!!"

"Oh but the world marvels at our superior intellect, sire!"

"Build a stock exchange and I'll show you what cash flow is really about."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQDeYXq_iw

Top Bottom