Someone working on Civ VI development may have been reading these forums... Eureka moments

Levgre

King
Either they read my thread or came up with the same wording and pretty similar mechanic as me (which wouldn't be that surprising since I think it makes sense as far as real life history).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/levgres-civilization-x-thread.310119/

"...the basic techs, such as farming, animal husbandry, mining, hunting, etc., would have to be unlocked via "eureka" moments. Farming would be unlocked after enough foraging/planting. Mining after enough gathering of metals. Animal Husbandry after enough experience with animals able to be domesticated.

Once the population gets a "eureka"(basically inevitable, when you have the people working on hunting, or foraging, or raising animals), the respective technology will be unlocked. Technological progress will automatically made by the people as they continue to harvest or hunt, as they refine abilities and discover new techniques. "

""eureka points" are what determines if a technology is discovered by the populace. Eureka points come from a variety of sources...

1. From citizens carrying out tasks, like farming, hunting, building.
2. From buildings, temples (the eureka points tend to go towards religious techs), libraries (more general eureka points), courthouses tend to create eureka points for government, cultural buildings create eureka points which tend to go towards cultural techs.""

Nice, it doesn't surprise me if they'd do it either, a neat idea is a neat idea and from what it sounds like (don't have the game yet) the general concept of eurekas as being a more active participation in the game has been pretty welcome.

I've always thought they should play with some of the mechanics done in Rhye's and Fall of Civ personally. If you look at history there is no such a thing as an empire that just gets bigger and bigger until it blobs the whole world, just some that are more flashingly successful than others. Maybe something like this would turn late-game clicking through turns until you win on its head, because with every action there is a reaction, with wealth success and power comes the very poison that later brings you low, the weight of empire causing it to break. Maybe your task as the player wouldn't be to create the biggest (or tallest) blob but to manage the various turns of history and fate better than your opponents, the different challenges that your empire in 'springtime' (ready to burst forward) or 'fall/winter' (serious internal decline and disarray, nearly impossible to maintain its position externally) would pose. In the former you'd be aiming to conquer, create, build all you possibly can in a burst of energy and strength. Classic civ. In the latter simply to consolidate your great achievements and maintain something of a stable core at least in the face of all the spiritual/military/demographic/economic collapse, that would be made worse the more successful your civ was in the earlier phases. Maybe each time your civilization enters 'spring' and bursts forward (like after a collapse in Rhye's and Fall) it would be spearheaded by a few Great People, giving a unique characteristic to this age of your civ. I think of history as something very cyclical in nature, which is more like how Rhye's is set up, as opposed to classic Civ, which is purely linear/progressive.

Anyways, this'd be a huge departure from the basic structure of the game though, so I don't expect anything like this would ever really catch on, or even necessarily work if they did try it, to make an enjoyable game around. But a mechanic here or there inspired from these lines, I think would be cool to see :)

I'm pretty sure they do. Ed's said as much many times in the media interviews.

I'm not going to take credit as it could be pure coincidence, but I wrote a whole treatise about treating smaller/OCC AI civs as city/client-states, propping them up, trading them resources you don't need for gpt, and having a nice open border city/scrap of land near a strategic point on the map you could exploit against a 3rd party rival, heavily inspired by Machiavelli's The Prince. The article made it into the war academy late in Civ4's development cycle in 2005 so It makes sense that didn't make it into that game.

But city-states showed up in Civ5

Nice, it doesn't surprise me if they'd do it either, a neat idea is a neat idea and from what it sounds like (don't have the game yet) the general concept of eurekas as being a more active participation in the game has been pretty welcome.

I've always thought they should play with some of the mechanics done in Rhye's and Fall of Civ personally. If you look at history there is no such a thing as an empire that just gets bigger and bigger until it blobs the whole world, just some that are more flashingly successful than others. Maybe something like this would turn late-game clicking through turns until you win on its head, because with every action there is a reaction, with wealth success and power comes the very poison that later brings you low, the weight of empire causing it to break. Maybe your task as the player wouldn't be to create the biggest (or tallest) blob but to manage the various turns of history and fate better than your opponents, the different challenges that your empire in 'springtime' (ready to burst forward) or 'fall/winter' (serious internal decline and disarray, nearly impossible to maintain its position externally) would pose. In the former you'd be aiming to conquer, create, build all you possibly can in a burst of energy and strength. Classic civ. In the latter simply to consolidate your great achievements and maintain something of a stable core at least in the face of all the spiritual/military/demographic/economic collapse, that would be made worse the more successful your civ was in the earlier phases. Maybe each time your civilization enters 'spring' and bursts forward (like after a collapse in Rhye's and Fall) it would be spearheaded by a few Great People, giving a unique characteristic to this age of your civ. I think of history as something very cyclical in nature, which is more like how Rhye's is set up, as opposed to classic Civ, which is purely linear/progressive.

Anyways, this'd be a huge departure from the basic structure of the game though, so I don't expect anything like this would ever really catch on, or even necessarily work if they did try it, to make an enjoyable game around. But a mechanic here or there inspired from these lines, I think would be cool to see :)

yeah the issue is new civ players, or just more casual gamers in general want a different experience from the average person who explores Civ mods and posts here. I wante the player to have less control and less all powerful, and have to be more reactive (I'd have liked Eureka moments to be hidden and unpredictable). But the core experience of civ is micromanaging everything. And it's fun until you do it too many dozens/hundreds of hours.

So I'm just really happy if the game is highly moddable, would've liked to see more happen with Civ 5, it seems Civ 4 did better mod wise.

Top Bottom