1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Something about Sankore

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by necrolyte, Jul 12, 2006.

1. necrolyte

necrolyte Warlord

First, I like the addition of Sankore university, considering that African civilization has been underrepresented in the past, now having two Sub-saharan civs and one sub-saharan wonder makes them a bit more evenly represented.

But am I reading it right when it says "Can only be built Reniassance or later"? Shouldn't it be "Cannot be built AFTER the Renaissance"?

2. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

It said "Can only be built Reniassance or later starts". By my interpretations that means "you have to go into the custom game menu and click on Reniassance as the starting age" which I think is very strange.

3. AndreasS

AndreasS Warlord

Yeah, made me wonder too..... sounded very strange. Is it because it is so overpowered? Then they should have made it a bit less great instead..... ;)

4. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

From what I have read about the Sankore "University", it appears that it does not merit this appellation. Did it produce any accomplishments such as those of even the most modest European university? (I am not an European, merely an uninformed-on-unimportant-issues Texan.)

5. Panda

Panda Metal head

Does that matter in this über-PC world?

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I'm pretty sure it's a typo, and can only be built on Renaissance and EARLIER starts.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

From what I read about it (a couple of years ago, so I'm not positive), it made Timbuktu one of the most important centers of learning in the entire world and scholars from all over the Muslim world came to learn there (this was a time when the Islam was advancing scientific knowledge while Christian European nations were backwards). It was definately imporant for its time, even its been surpassed by others later.

8. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

From this preview:
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/717/717727p2.html
    I've read it as later starts as well, but was corrected in our German Forum.

9. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

That is an understatement.

When viewed from 0 AD until today, the proper word would be MOST of the time the islamic world was more advanced than the Western World, until the Rennaissance.

A source of frustration and locus for much of their hostilities today, no doubt.

Without their invention of zero, we would not even be able to play this silly game.

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Considering the Islamic world didn't exist until the 7th century, I have doubts about the validity of that statement. If you're including Byzantium in that estimation, however, you're still talking roughly equal amounts of time (400-1400 versus 0-400+1400-2006)

11. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

In comparison to all other cultures, the arabic world (both islam and non) has been more advanced for a greater period of time in those two millenia than any other SINGLE culture.

There was a period of 700 to 800 years ( 700 ad to 1400 ad, or so) when they were clearly the most dominant (re: influential) force on the planet. Since 0 AD, no other culture has maintained a supremancy for as long.

The rise of the Western European culture to such levels of influence is really not prevalent until the mid 16th century, which makes for about 500+ years.

It is a close race, no doubt. And the way things are going now, it looks like Western European's reign may be in its waning decades.

12. necrolyte

necrolyte Warlord

Um, well it was a center of Islamic learning in West Africa and shaped the liberal type of Islam in West Africa, very important. The only reason that it's not significant today is that the Morrocans sacked Timbuktu and the whole area fell into disarray, and the achievements of the area were lost. Contemporary European universities also did not nessicarily acheive anything greater in their time.

13. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Lol. And who's taking over?

14. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

[offtopic] Enough gang.

BTW, the author of the IGN article confirmed in its thread that the University can only be built on Renaissance and EARLIER starts.

15. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Very nice.
    It will make me think twice before dopting Free Religion...especially with the Spiral Minaret.

16. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Side note... there IS no 0 AD

The year before 1 AD is 1 BC

17. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Yes it seems that Free religion is a lot weakened and state religions become increasingly important

18. ZiP!

ZiP! Warlord

Side note 2... That's because the Arabs didn't invent the 0 yet ;)