Something missing in Civ 4

bobalot

Chieftain
I don't think Civ 4 "sucks", but it does get rapidily not fun after a while.

I have played on the 4th difficulty level and won most of them time. The early savage and nasty fights (usually initiated by me:goodjob: ) are quite fun, I must say. I love playing with the Inca and using their early elite unit to overrun some early cities. The middle age is still fun, but not as fun. By the time it gets to the modern age, it just plain sucks. I have never used aircraft. I find the modern age utterly boring.

I find that the tech race is simply too fast, by the time you have a neat army, its already outdated. I was hoping for great wars like the napoleanic wars to ravage continents, but alas after several turns of war, your army is probably outdated.

There is something about the early game (other than the expansion of your empire into un-inhabited regions) that doesn't carry through in my opinion.

I wish it were otherwise.

Check out the mod i just posted (My Civ4 Modifications, Opinions Wanted)... if you set it on epic speed i have doubled the time it takes to research things... and made several other changes. It really extends the length of a game and gives you more time for wars in the various eras.

Also I set the rest of the settings for Epic to normal so you will build units just as fast... only research is modified :p

Napoleanic wars would roughly be cavalry, cannon, and riflemen. That constitutes a pretty significant portion of the game. It can be quite a bit of time too, if you're working with lots of units. Sure, it's not a huge number of turns, but it's not supposed to be.

I haven't had your problem with air units. I've found them absolutely essential to taking cities guarded by mech. infantry, artillery, and gunships.

Have you tried playing the game with Space Race, Diplomacy, and Culture victories turned off?

I'm afraid I have to agree with the original poster. The game just isn't that fun to play.

Some of the changes to Civ3 are excellent like the removal of pollution and the need for MM every turn so as not to lose any beakers or shields. New things like religion and civics are interesting concepts too. I liked the A/D values of Civ3 but the new strenght system seems to work pretty nicely too although making it "simpler" has actually made it even harder to fully understand.

I know this is not Civ3 and should be viewed as a separate game but I'm just not enjoying playing it nearly as much as I did all the previous Civ games. Warmongering has been made a lot harder/slower and the AI rarely tries to win by anything other than building the spaceship. It's just boring.

The number of techs in the game is way too big, it just isn't fun to get new techs every couple of turns. This also means that your units go obsolete incredibly fast especially from the middle game onwards unless you play with the 'epic' speed. That in turn makes everything else even more tedious as there seems to be nothing happening at all for half the turns.

I preordered my copy and have already spent more time playing it than I do with 99% of the games I try. I've played all the variants like one-city-challenge and always-war too but didn't enjoy them either although they were big favourites of mine in Civ3.

It took me many many years to get even slightly bored with Civ3. It has now taken me about a month to do that with Civ4. The game has made it very high on my most disappointing games ever list.

:(

Top Bottom