1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Something new to be terrorfied about: Engineers overrepresented in extremist groups

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Phlegmak, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205920319

The PDF linked to in the article, which I haven't read: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/users/gambetta/Engineers of Jihad.pdf

The article states that engineers are overrepresented among extremist groups, and religion and national origin are irrelevant.

This should be deliciously juicy material for the anti-education conservatives in the world. (The anti-education conservatives I refer to use the word "intelligencia" and believe that universities are radical liberal breeding grounds and that teachers "indoctrinate" students. That group includes Sean Hannity and various people on this forum.)

So what should we do? Lock up the engineers in a "detention camp", like what Mike Gallagher suggested we do with antiwar celebrities?

2. Babbler

Babbler Deity

Did you read the article:

We have meet the enemy, and he is us.

3. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

engineers are also dullards. that is a crime in itself

4. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Yeah, I read it.

Also:
    I'm a computer programmer. I wonder if that makes me prone to radical violence. So far, the answer would have to be "no".

5. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

I'm a network engineer that regularly practices poisoning drinking water, fomenting rebellion, and occasionally nuking cities. Fortunately it's only Civ4.

6. Babbler

Babbler Deity

7. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Slashdot is where I got this from.

8. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

Well it makes sense, I mean their minds have to make sense of all things, and can't accept "I dunno" as an answer to the big questions (why we are here, etc).

Scary, 2 of the people I love most in the whole world, are engineers.

9. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

There was a study which said that proportionally more suicide bombers in Israel were University educated, so I guess this isn't too surprising.

10. rmxtrax

rmxtrax Warlord

Naturally those people are only a bunch of idiots

i will never suicide myself after 18 years of study
    it's very very stupid :rolleyes:

11. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

its pretty simple. Engineers like to blow things up (then you get to build new stuff). If we don't give me<del><del> them a way to vent this desire then they will go to these extreme groups.

Its only natural that they are more likely to go the right than the left as most of those leftie liberals don't want me to blow things up (bad for the environment and all that)

12. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

It's not because you're a network engineer. It's because you're in New Hampshire. :mischief:

13. rmxtrax

rmxtrax Warlord

also in italy engineers play CIV 4 ;)

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Educational profiling anyone?

Profession should definitely be used to narrow down the number of suspects in cases of terrorism.

15. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

I hate to be the one to be un-PC and point out the obvious, but...

Ever taken a stroll over to the engineering department at your univ? It's like India and the Middle East are field testing their Epcot displays. Do you know an Indian who's not an engineering major?!

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Most are doctors. If they're not smart enough to be a doctor they become engineers or computer programmers. Sometimes they become lawyers, but only if they have a family member who is a lawyer.

Pakistanis, OTOH, become cornershop owners.

17. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Education is an absolute requirement for the effectiveness of modern propaganda. People must consume the "information" produced by the media, read books, understand the basics about politics, in order to be indoctrinated with any ideology. That, by itself, should explain this.

To make things worse the education engineers receive (I should know) doesn't include anything about humanities. Thus they are not prepared to challenge what propaganda reaches them. The irrational they will challenge, but anything that appears rational has a good chance of influencing them.

18. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Yes, I have, and don't forget the article says that religion and nationality are irrelevant.

19. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

you know whose fault that is? the american student's.

i say if we already accept them into college, why not keep them here and offer them citizenship? absorb the most talented people for the betterment of all americans. it isn't like they are taking the jobs of blue collared americans

20. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Funny thing is, Indian universities are beginning to surpass American and British universities in quality of education for many subjects. One day, Indians will be commenting that British and Americans are overrepresented in Indian Engineering departments.