1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Something wrong with Babylon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Atoll, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

Guys, I have such a problem: playing as Babylon, I noticed that UHV is impossible just by definition! First goal is "be first to discover writing, monarchy and code of laws". OK, i tried several times, but as soon as i discover first of those techs (usually it's writing), - at the same turn game says me that i failed :confused: Here is example: savegame at 1 turn before writing. Look at "not yet" indicator in historic victory screen. It will change to "NONE" at the next turn, after you'll get writing.

View attachment OneTurnBefore.CivBeyondSwordSave

Again: I've tried many times but with the same result. Is it bug or what?

2. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

I think it might mean you weren't the first to writing. Did you go writing first? China will get it usually if you don't.

3. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

I had done a few tests on viceroy, on which 60% [6 out of 10 games]of the times on viceroy[!] China beat me to writing. Well Babylonia does suck, it gets boring after attempting it many times. If you truly are dedicated and want to win, just keep reloading and hope for good stuff from huts[For the other UHVs].

Then again, it isn't a bug. The prob is that China beelines to writing half of the times.

After writing if you want to get the other UHVs then read this guide:http://web.archive.org/web/20090514073402/http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_-_Babylonian_strategy
    Winning without it is really tough.

4. Akbarthegreat

I've attached a game [TURN 50] in which I popped Math from a hut, and founded confucianism. I got the wheat early and this was the viceroy game I won.

Attached Files:

5. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

The Babylonian UHV is most certainly not impossible by definition.

The UHV condition is only resolved (pass/fail) once you learn the required techs for yourself. You won't know which civ beat you to the tech until this time, unless you use worldbuilder to check.

You have to beeline straight for writing, there's really no other way without getting Writing out of a goody hut. You should also cottage the Marble first rather than improve any other tile early.

6. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

I still think it's some bug. I've also done 3-4 tests... and China always discover Writing at the same turn with me (I checked it in worldbuilder)... and regardless of what turn is it (25th, 30th or 40th turn - no matter) Statistically, it's impossible! Here is another save.

View attachment EpicFail.CivBeyondSwordSave

At 20th turn, UHV indicator was "not yet". At 21th turn, I discovered Writing (earliest result in my whole practice). And guess what... damn China overtook me again! And what should I think after that???

7. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

You are wrong, it is not a bug. Just because you aren't fast enough to Writing doesn't mean that the game is bugged, it just means that you need to improve your play.

One way to slow China's research rate is to send a warrior towards Beijing from the start and hassle their worker or better still capture their worker. Think outside the square.

Try to think of ways to improve your game, instead of insisting that it is someone else's problem (i.e. the game is bugged). Many people before you have managed to solve the Babylonian UHV.

After checking your savegame, it is no wonder that you are getting beaten to Writing - you haven't improved a single tile around Babylon! As I posted earlier, you need to build a cottage on the Marble as your first action.

Your game play is not very good, that is why you can't win the Babylon UHV.

8. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

Damn, I'm a civ player since 2000, i played civ2, then civ3, then civ4, then civ5... I'm also won this Babylon game many, many times (before I reinstalled my whole damn system). This savegame was just an example. And Writing at 21th turn - is it still not fast enough? Anyway, I'm not whining "Oh, people, China overtook me" here... Instead, i tried to say "look guys, no matter how I play (good, bad, fast, slow...), no matter what i build (farms, cottages, quarries, nothing...) China always overtake me...

OK, one example is better than 1000 words. Instead of telling me how stupid I am, can you post your savegame with such conditions:
    1) 3000 BC Unlocked scenario
    2) Viceroy level
    3) Writing discovered before China.

9. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I don't play Viceroy. Here is a Monarch game that I just whipped up.

10. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

No, my friend, i was asking exactly viceroy :nono: Don't know why, but in case of Babylon, viseroy level looks actually harder than monarch. I just made 6 tests (3 on viceroy & 3 on monarch), trying to be first in Writing. Here is results:

Monarch:
    Test1 - Writing at 31 turn - win
    Test2 - Writing at 32 turn - win
    Test3 - Writing at 32 turn - win

Viceroy:
    Test1 - Writing at 26 turn - fail
    Test2 - Writing at 26 turn - win
    Test3 - Writing at 25 turn - fail

Plus, yesterday i discovered Writing at 21th turn (see my savegame in post № 6) - and still fail, even in this case :eek: Though, I'm agree now: it's not a bug...

PS Crazy situation during one of those tests - Egyptian lions in Kazakh steppes (i swear, it's not becouse of worldbuilder or so):

Spoiler :

How it possible at all??? :lol:

11. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

Egyptian lions happen only through worldbuilder, period. You must have placed them unintentionally. Anything you might say otherwise is not true. :lol:

12. Atoll

Atoll Chieftain

Yeah, frankly it's only thing that comes to mind. I used WB to "spy" for China. But lions? How could i add them...? :confused:

And btw, judging by your login "corovanrobber", can I ask you: ty sluchayno ne iz nashih? :lol:

13. Synapce

Synapce Chieftain

Well when you're in worldbuilder the default setting is on add units, the default unit is lion, and the default civ is Egypt, so all you have to do is click once for an Egyptian lion to appear.

14. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

I shall answer you, then: eto kak raz dlya teh, kto v teme. :D

15. Akbarthegreat

Tried Babylonia on Monarch today, got all the techs and........
    Beijing got to size 8, even babylon was 8, 1 turn to to 9 grow and.........................
    Spoiler :
    UHV FAILED!!!!!
    :aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh:

16. spaceman98

spaceman98 Plotting something

The Babylon UHV is very hard. I never did it (though I am not very good at accomplishing UHVs in general)

17. Akbarthegreat

:agree:
    You have to be ready to fail a whole lotta times- requires determination and I don't have much of it;)

18. zbelg

zbelg Chieftain

Well then, it's not really impossible, is it?

Babylon requires patience and luck, but fortunately, it's easy to try again if you fail because you learn very early if you've been beaten. I'd assume that the difference on Viceroy is just the side effect of a minor AI tweak that makes China more likely to go straight for Writing.

19. PGM

PGM Chieftain

There's definitely something wrong with the Babylon scenario.
    Tech race was fairly easy, but now it's turn 87, my city is size 11, with 5000 culture (Beijing comes next, with size 6 and 160 culture). So why no win?

First to 3 techs: YES
    Most cultural: NO
    Most populous: NO

Attached Files:

20. DarkThunder

DarkThunder Chieftain

Your city is Ashur not Babylon as required.

But I'm amazed, how could it be possible to build all that your have built to turn 87??! :confused: