Somethingawful: Scouts now wear underwear; New tech: Gay Marriage

RegentMan said:
It was in the article.
In context in the article on a satirical website perhaps it may be humourous (though not to me - this is 2005 - isn't it about time the racial profiling comes to an end?) - perhaps the poster should have let us know he qouted it.

In his post, intentional or not, on a website that is not about satire, it just comes across as stereotypical prejudice.

With that in mind, I will bow out from this thread as I personally find the article (and the reffed site) itself fairly offensive in a lot of ways.

I could sure use those polka bands now in civ3, do you think there will be a patch?:p

oldStatesman said:
In context in the article on a satirical website perhaps it may be humourous (though not to me - this is 2005 - isn't it about time the racial profiling comes to an end?) - perhaps the poster should have let us know he qouted it.

In his post, intentional or not, on a website that is not about satire, it just comes across as stereotypical prejudice.

With that in mind, I will bow out from this thread as I personally find the article (and the reffed site) itself fairly offensive in a lot of ways.

I know, isn't it something awful.

News Entertainment: Decreases war weariness via propaganda and confusion. Once you unlock this technology you may produce the special unit Bill O'Reilly. The unit may be used in an unhappy city by clouding the truth with unabashed lying and magic tricks.
Prerequisites: Fascism, Television

LMAO.

But you know... that's not a bad idea.......... *Opens notepad and starts making mod*

oldStatesman said:
In context in the article on a satirical website perhaps it may be humourous (though not to me - this is 2005 - isn't it about time the racial profiling comes to an end?)

It's about time people started taking things a little less seriously when it comes to humor websites on the INTERNET, where there is no censorship OF THOUGHTS AND IDEAS. I thought that was more important than your right to not be offended (a right not granted by any constitution).

WAIT! I want to talk about MODS too!

Did it occur to anyone that we could seriously mod just about everything that was listed on SomethingAwful?

Jecrell said:
It's about time people started taking things a little less seriously when it comes to humor websites on the INTERNET, where there is no censorship OF THOUGHTS AND IDEAS. I thought that was more important than your right to not be offended (an invisible right not granted by any constitution).

WAIT! I want to talk about MODS too!

Did it occur to anyone that we could seriously mod just about everything that was listed on SomethingAwful?
Geez, you don't seem to understand that the INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

And any potential mod I make might include some of the ideas there. At the very least, I'm adding the clown unit line. :mischief:

What is so funny to you? Am a Pole and I live in Poland. I don't find anything funny about Polka (btw - what the <Deleted> is that? I thought it is RUSSIAN dance or something...)
BTW - Am VERY disapointed that my nation is not in Civ 4. Apparently Sid forgot Polish meaning in history of the world. Sid - maybe you should learn more about Europe's history...

It is sad that there are some Mayans, Persians, Aztecks.. and so on. Minor tribes which do not exist no more... and no Poles....

Moderator Action: Language remoced

Orion66 said:
What is so funny to you? Am a Pole and I live in Poland. I don't find anything funny about Polka (btw - what the <Deleted>... is that? I thought it is RUSSIAN dance or something...) BTW - Am VERY disapointed that my nation is not in Civ 4. Apparently Sid forgot Polish meaning in history of the world. Sid - maybe you should learn more about Europe's history... It is sad that there are some Mayans, Persians, Aztecks.. and so on. Minor tribes which do not exist no more... and no Poles....
:confused: another Pole with no sense of humor... don't be silly, they are making fun of other nations as well

Guys, have it ever occurred to you that nationalism and esoteric &#8216;pride of being a certain color&#8217; just abrades society all together? It&#8217;s that kind of cyclical, banal, and maladaptive thinking that gets us into wars, or pogroms.

For the record, I&#8217;m Polish. And I really love the religion section :D

Guys this thing was exhilarating. No offence meant, please, I do not support tyranny nor genocide but the very concept of the "monk" unit almost made me fall off my chair out of laughter. :rotfl:

And I think some choices had to be made about the choice of the 18 civs included... leave room for the expansion pack!

Why 'black' people?????

It was in the article.

And why was it in the article? Because of what happened in New Orleans. Honestly, I find it hard to believe people are making fun out of that so soon after it happened.

(ETA: I should make clear that I don't in any way think that Black people 'stole' TVs after Katrina struck. At least, no more than white folks 'stole' food and drink. But I really don't want to get into that debate.)

I read it and laughed. I know that that's not true for everyone in that race, heck white people do it too. I know it was supposed to be humor, so I found it humorous. I suggest you do too.

megabrainz said:
Why 'black' people?????

It was in the article.

And why was it in the article? Because of what happened in New Orleans. Honestly, I find it hard to believe people are making fun out of that so soon after it happened.

(ETA: I should make clear that I don't in any way think that Black people 'stole' TVs after Katrina struck. At least, no more than white folks 'stole' food and drink. But I really don't want to get into that debate.)

You're suggesting that we cease and desist humorous discussion because of when it happened? It's funny and serious at the same time -- which is why people laugh to that kind of thing. Also it's not really in the same ballpark as the actual disaster so much as the erratic behavior during the disaster -- not the disaster itself. You can't make a joke out of 9/11 and expect someone to laugh is a good example of this.

Oh.... it's harder to make people laugh if the joke is about people stealing food and drink though. I don't think someone could find someone stealing from the grocery store as funny as someone dragging a 50 inch television around town (regardless of race, that's just funny).

Orion66 said:
What is so funny to you? Am a Pole and I live in Poland. I don't find anything funny about Polka (btw - what the fuc... is that? I thought it is RUSSIAN dance or something...)
BTW - Am VERY disapointed that my nation is not in Civ 4. Apparently Sid forgot Polish meaning in history of the world. Sid - maybe you should learn more about Europe's history...

It is sad that there are some Mayans, Persians, Aztecks.. and so on. Minor tribes which do not exist no more... and no Poles....

Because we laugh at the jokes presented does not mean we don't like you or your country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka <--- That's polka.

Also, if it were up to me there would be plenty of Civilizations to go around. Any collective society could qualify, from the Zulus to the Trekkies (they are an advanced tribe -- and don't forget that Spock is technically in Civ IV!)

Canada> Special Unit: The Mounties. Replaces the cavalry unit. This unit can't attack but it looks pretty cool.

awesome. :lol: Maybe they increase patriotism points.

BTW. I haven't seen any canadians in this thread .Nothing to say?

Urederra said:
Canada> Special Unit: The Mounties. Replaces the cavalry unit. This unit can't attack but it looks pretty cool.

awesome. :lol: Maybe they increase patriotism points.

BTW. I haven't seen any canadians in this thread .Nothing to say?
When we make the "Something Aweful Mod", this unit will ride up looking pretty, and when it attacks, it will kind of GLOW with beauty and coolness, and if it hits the other unit, they will bow down and cover their eyes

As a person of Polish origin I feel an urge to clarifie some things.

I believe that the reason why a lot of Poles have “no sense of humor” is that jokes about Poles are quite rare outside of the USA. Therefore quite a lot of them are unaccustomed with the idea of it.
A lot of Poles are also rather easily offended with having fun picked on the history of their homeland, as the article in Something Awful says “Although much was destroyed in WWII, these proud people have outlasted the worst conditions”, it has not been easy for the Polish nation the past hundred years, in deed the past two hundred years. Yet the most irritating part was being abandoned by the west after WW2 and given to the USSR to do as they please. Of coarse the action the allies chose is understandable, the UK was at the brink of bankruptcy, the USA was weary with war and so on and the west was not fit to pick a fight with its most powerful ally. There fore the importance of Poland for the war effort and further in the past was downplayed so that the general public would not have to feel to much guilt and most importantly the political readers wouldn’t have to do any explaining and humiliate themselves in front of the Russians, so Poland was left for the bloodthirsty commies to have. Intellectually this is not difficult to understand, but on an emotional level it was very insulting.

This is where past history comes in to play, for Poland has always been a last bastion of Europe to the east, constantly fending of Turks, Russians and whatnot from the heart of the continent. Most memorable are the incidents: 1683 at Vienna, when the Turks laid siege to the capitol of Austria with 140,000 men, the Polish king Jan Sobieski commanded a relief force of 74,000 and fended them off. More recently the Polish-Soviet war 1919-1920 when at the Battle of Warsaw the Poles defeated the Soviets to the relief of the west, as the British Ambassador in Berlin, Lord D’Abernon wrote: “Had Pilsudski and Weygand failed to arrest the triumphant advance of the Soviet Army at the battle of Warsaw, not only would Christianity have experienced a dangerous reverse, but the very existence of western civilisation would have been imperilled.”
I’ll also ad a taste of some notable numbers from the more distant past: Poland became a republic 1569, in 1635 the “Zecz Pospolita” was the largest country in Europe and had the third largest population after Russia and France, most European colonies where build thanks to Polish grain.
I strongly recommend my source “God’s Playground, A History of Poland” by Norman Davies, I dare say you’ll find it an interesting read.

So the question that arises when picking civilizations for Civ is: what merits countries to be included?
I do understand that all countries can’t be included, you have to draw the line somewhere, but when you see long gone civ’s like the Sumerians, and Hittites included you sort of feel that old hurt nag in your innards.

Remember... it's a game, not a state affair

And "jokes" and "humor" usually involve overexagerated and wrong statements referring to stereotypes which are, by essence, not correct.

Top Bottom