Somethingawful: Scouts now wear underwear; New tech: Gay Marriage

sorry, but i think this thread is so off-topic it doesnt really matter anymore:

Well it's somewhat like a rivalism of beliefs. Comparable perhaps to Darwinism vs. Creation.

darwinism is no belief, its science. you could just also state that penicilline is a belief.
creation has nothing to do with science, its plain belief.
even comparing these two is pointless...
its like comparing the impact of a nuclear bomb to the impact god had on soddom and gommorha. it wont make sense, since the first one is scientifical predictabel while the other one is a story told in an old book.

the idea these two would be rivals was already forgotten outside of the vatican untill some crazy americans got on the tv-screen and voted into political offices...

holy king said:
sorry, but i think this thread is so off-topic it doesnt really matter anymore:

darwinism is no belief, its science. you could just also state that penicilline is a belief.
creation has nothing to do with science, its plain belief.
even comparing these two is pointless...
its like comparing the impact of a nuclear bomb to the impact god had on soddom and gommorha. it wont make sense, since the first one is scientifical predictabel while the other one is a story told in an old book.

the idea these two would be rivals was already forgotten outside of the vatican untill some crazy americans got on the tv-screen and voted into political offices...

So you're saying that people can't choose to believe Darwinism or to deny it -- that it is undeniable? Well that is certainly your belief just as much as it is someones belief that mankind originated between a single solitary man and woman created by a supreme being. The fact is, while you may disagree with it, that a lot of people believe in the latter a lot moreso than the former.

Now I am all for scientific research -- I support Darwinism moreso than Creationism -- because it is the ultimate search for truth and it is an actual step in the right direction. I recommend seeing the movie "Inheret the Wind" sometime... that was a good movie on the subject.

i didnt say darwinism cant be denied, i said it cant be denied and substituted by creationism (whover really believes in adam and eve... not easy to imagine)

Just to let you know, in case you were ignorant. This is massive flame/ Off topic/ Troll bait. (you are stating that poor people are immoral/lawbreakers because they are poor)

It is off-topic, but no more so than the stuff I'm responding to. I'm afraid I can't agree with the rest; I'm not trying to bait anybody, nor make any factual statements about people poor or otherwise. I'm just opining that some of the stuff in that article was in (very) poor taste, and explaining my reasoning.

Anyhoo, I think I've gone as far as I can in arguing my case.

oldStatesman said:
In context in the article on a satirical website perhaps it may be humourous (though not to me - this is 2005 - isn't it about time the racial profiling comes to an end?) - perhaps the poster should have let us know he qouted it.

In his post, intentional or not, on a website that is not about satire, it just comes across as stereotypical prejudice.

With that in mind, I will bow out from this thread as I personally find the article (and the reffed site) itself fairly offensive in a lot of ways.

I dunno, the site is called "something awful"? maybe thats why its offensive? maybe thats why its funny to most of us, apart from the PC gang..

And its JUST a discription of the person

anyway why is it that:

if a black/asian/whatever attacks a white person its "just" assault (which will result in NO prison sentance)

but

if a white person attacks an black/asian/whatever its a racist attack? (which will result in a few years inprison?)

Overlag said:
if a black/asian/whatever attacks a white person its "just" assault (which will result in NO prison sentance)

but

if a white person attacks an black/asian/whatever its a racist attack? (which will result in a few years inprison?)
Not always no, but if the white attackers shout racist abuse at the victim and witnesses testify to that, then that counts as a racist attack.

oldStatesman said:
In context in the article on a satirical website perhaps it may be humourous (though not to me - this is 2005 - isn't it about time the racial profiling comes to an end?) - perhaps the poster should have let us know he qouted it.

In his post, intentional or not, on a website that is not about satire, it just comes across as stereotypical prejudice.

With that in mind, I will bow out from this thread as I personally find the article (and the reffed site) itself fairly offensive in a lot of ways.

Hmm, having a sense of humor and thick skin will get you further in life than getting your panties in a wad because, surprise, the article wasn't PC. Hmm, last time I checked there were riots in LA, and guess what happened? Minorities stole TV's, burned down stores and generally were barbaric, all because a court case didn't go how they thought it should.

Then we have the hurricane hit NO and people loot "supplies to survive", which is funny because last I checked a big screen TV, and other electronic's weren't necessary to survive, nor were 15 pairs of pants, yet anything that wasn't nailed down was taken in some spots.

So tell me, how does looting and rioting by a minority group solve or further their cause of equality, etc? It doesn't, but it -does- further perpetuate the stereotype since that's typically what happens when people react in a stereotypical manner. ;)

Benjie said:
Not always no, but if the white attackers shout racist abuse at the victim and witnesses testify to that, then that counts as a racist attack.

Heh, yet if a miority shouted something racist at the white victim then that's typically not punished as racism. I wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

1) as to Darwinism vs Creationism...both sides have devout, even fanatical, beleivers. Is Darwinism a science yes but in certain parts of the USA(and the world too) Science is regarded as an optional belief system. Religion is a very powerful force as it reflects the word of God(or wwhat God's interpreters tell us) whereas science is merely a work of man and is therefore evil in nature, the work of the devil. Now myself I believe God created man, using evolution as His work-tool.
2) there are many other minorities in the US besides Afro-americans...if you use the term minorities you are grouping them all together and thats not right.

Ozymandous said:
Heh, yet if a miority shouted something racist at the white victim then that's typically not punished as racism. I wonder why that is?:rolleyes:
Basically, that is probably due to that fact that most decent people consider it dispicable to punch down, and justified and ok to punch up.

joethreeblah said:
Basically, that is probably due to that fact that most decent people consider it dispicable to punch down, and justified and ok to punch up.

Where have you been the last 40 years?

You're taking me wrong I believe. When the white people complain that their racist jokes are not ok, but the reverse is ok (and similar things, I'm still too sleepy to think of better examples)... I feel ashamed for them because you can't dispute the greater socioeconomic challenges of the african american in the US

anyway, i'm not intending to argue this point, only that I'm afraid by your comment I was taken wrong

Benjie said:

blacks do this all the time around here, and it isnt racist..... infact its racist if the police DO anything to them. so basicaly they can do whatever they want. Oh and then you get the whites, that act as if there black... they are even worse.......:mad:

joethreeblah said:

im not sure what you mean here?

Top Bottom