1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sometimes I can't make people do stuff...

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by ramatheson, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ramatheson

ramatheson Chieftain

Sometimes, no matter how many times I drag/drop someone from the "garrison" to a place, they won't go there. It's happened with converted natives, elder statesmen, etc. They won't farm, they won't go to the town hall, they won't chop wood, they won't make cigars, and on and on and on. Every now and then, i drag and drop a unit within a town and it won't do anything. It just stays in the garrison.

I move them to another town, and they work just fine.

2. Volstag

Volstag Chairman of the Bored

I noticed this as well, and it was starting to weird me out. If I'm not mistaken, the unit has to have its full movement allotment (or a certain amount and better) before you can move it from the garrison to the settlement/field. Ending the turn always rectified it - for me. I definitely noticed this from the settlement screen -- not sure if it effects the unit on the strategic map when executing a "join settlement".

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

-V

3. misterslack

misterslack Chieftain

Yes, it's that the units can't have moved already this turn. I find this very annoying and I wish they hadn't put it in.

4. Polobo

Polobo Chieftain

On the strategic screen if you mouse-over the "join settlement" it will display in red why they cannot join that turn (already moved). Its been pointed out that the colony interface is lacking in tool-tips like this.

5. tour86rocker

tour86rocker Chieftain

I DESPISE this "feature". I hate it a thousand times, it pisses me off. In Civ4, "yellow" was never, in and of itself, an indicator that a unit was unable to do something useful, right? I thought that if a unit had simply used part of its movement points, the green turned to yellow.

Anyway...I have other problems in this game, but I for one have been tripped up by this mal-feature a dozen times. I don't care if the worker produces nothing for the turn, I want to assign him where I want to WHILE I am thinking about it, I don't want to wait a turn for other events to distract me and have to do the thinking twice.

And it's just unusual for Col. I almost wish I had no Col experience before picking up the game. I get tripped up in little ways like that.

6. ramatheson

ramatheson Chieftain

I also figured out that a person will not join a settlement if it is in "starvation" mode, with a negative food "income."

7. Polobo

Polobo Chieftain

I know they get kicked out if they actually starve (negative food per turn AND zero food in the warehouse) but didn't notice not being able to join them if the warehouse has food regardless of the food per turn.

8. ramatheson

ramatheson Chieftain

Yep...I took people out until it was no longer in starvation mode, and then I could get the previously non-working people to join the town. It's annoying having to move everyone out, then move everyone back in, but it works.

9. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

Yeah, you can't join anyone to a colony if it's losing food. Even if you're trying to add a farmer or fisherman who will solve the problem.
    It's really frustrating to have to shuffle everyone around to work around it.

10. Blackmantle

Blackmantle Chieftain

Simple partial solution to the movement problem (only singleplayer or in multiplayer by concent): play epic or marathon. Then those lost turns don't count all that hard and moving from a) to b) is not all that painful in lost yields. In Marathon it should be boderline nonissue along with some other things (youll have to play a bigger map to compensate though. Otherwise it might throw of balance badly if im not mistaken.).

I find epic more suitable to a non-rushed game anyways. Still fast enough to not feel drawn out and boring... (haven't tried marathon yet.)

The food thing sounds like it whould make sense. Sorts of. And the rest is micro. Which is the core of the game even if it is annoying in that instance to a certain degree. So for me thats in the frame of the game.
    But it should be documented better by far so its easier to grasp. It should be made clear since those worker-actions are so important... Especially on normal-speed and faster...

Still i whouldn't be against both of those things changeing outright. In gameplay-enhancement-mod or vanilla.

11. Alsn

Alsn Chieftain

Actually, spies were unable to conduct missions if they had moved on the same turn.

That's the one and only exception though...

12. nick-brown

nick-brown Chieftain

Re not being able to assign a colonist when they're yellow - I agree, this sucks - why give me the option to do something with them if I can't actually do something ?

Re adding colonists when you're on negative food, you can add them when you are in negative but you need to have a certain amount of food - I've not tested exactly how much but I would guess at a quarter of the warehouse allowance for that game speed. If you add more food, then they can join even if you're still losing food each turn.

13. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

This bugs the hell out of me too. What is so wrong about a unit not being able to absorb into a city, because it simply moved 1 tile space on a road?

14. dalgo

dalgo Chieftain

Apparantly it is being addressed in the first patch, although I don't know why it wasn't in the original release. On a positive note, in the original game when you moved someone out of a colony you had to wait a turn for him to be available. Here you can create a dragoon and send him to war immediately. Swings and roundabouts maybe...