1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sometimes I think the Military Advisor needs some perspective

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by 1940LaSalle, Dec 26, 2007.

1. 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle Warlord

OK: I'm Bismarck, and I have maybe a half-dozen panzers along with a couple of bombers/airports, and yet my dude in camo says I have a weak military with respect to the Romans--and those birds are well behind my technology curve (no motorized transport, for example). I'm guessing the mil advisor is keying on the fact that the Romans have the Legion, but somehow I have trouble rationalizing the concept that a Legion will stand up to an armored column. Is there some way to get a more realistic assessment of the overall situation, or is it based simply on what units I might have in proximity to another power (e.g., my armed forces would be judged to be weak if I don't have any panzers close to the Roman legions)?

2. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

If you can plant a spy and steal plans, you'll find out not only what units they've got, but where they are (at least for a turn).

3. 1940LaSalle

1940LaSalle Warlord

I understand your proposal but at this point I'm a bit reluctant to try that: thus far, I've been able to stand above any interlocking alliances while maintaining good relations with all, and enjoying a reasonable trading reputation--and there's a decided risk of damaging that reputation if a spy is caught. It makes me wonder, though, that if I moved a panzer to a city close to the Romans whether my mil advisor might change his tune?

4. Swiss_Mercenari

Swiss_Mercenari Comedic Jihadist

The Military Advisor has to be an evil un-patriotic snitch though! That's how he gets his dessert.

5. Padma

Padma the Absent Admin Administrator Supporter

You have six Panzers, and a few Bombers? You would be considered weak, if he has anything like 20 Legions, etc. Remember, the weapon *types* don't matter. This game is all about numbers. A couple dozen Legions can swarm over six Panzer units, and possibly even take them out.

I don't want to get into a discussion about whether a "Spearman can beat a Tank". That's been done to death, here. The Mil Advisor just compares attack numbers, and total amount of units, and reports based on that.

6. Aabraxan

I'm not sure what the effect on your trading reputation would be if your spy is caught. I know that the other leader "is not pleased," or some such. I also don't know how much you're making in gpt from trading with the Romans. But look at it this way: If you plant the spy and the spy is caught, you could get lucky and the Romans might declare war on you! Then you get war happiness, and get to find out if your advisor is right!

7. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

8. iambenben

iambenben Prince

i thought that no matter what units the opponant has, if they have more units then they will be stronger

9. EvilConqueror

EvilConqueror Warlord

I rarely pay much attention to the military advisor. Numbers aren't everything.

10. MAS

MAS Deity

Not really, the unit attack and defense values are also kept into account.

And att value is worth about 1.5 def value.

According to civ AI logic. 1 archer is stronger than 1 spearman:
    archer value is 2*1.5+1 = 4
    spearman value is 1.5+2=3.5
    But 2 warriors is stronger than 1 archer: (even though the shield investment is the same)
    1 warrior value is 1.5+1=2.5 so 2 warriors value is 2.5*2 = 5

The AI (and that includes your mil adviser) greatly undervalues artillery though. Artillery type units have an attack and defense of 0, but combined in a stack of other units, they can be a game breaker.

11. Nergal

Nergal Prince

It is hit point based as well, thats why Anicent Cavalry get such high ratings.

12. Empire Engineer

Empire Engineer Chieftain

That's interesting. So if one of the AI civs accumulates a horde of AC that hangs around until well into the industrial age, that might account for the military advisor's estimation being somewhat warped?

13. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

I think that 4 AC = 1 panzer. 4 legions probably equals 1 panzer, assuming everything is a veteran.

14. Gosnork

Gosnork Warlord

What size map are you playing, what level is the game on, and how big are you compared to the Romans?

Normally 6 Panzers is very weak.

15. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Build about 10 more Panzers and go smite them. The military advisor is the computer, thusly is all about numbers. If they are an era behind, they should be easy meat.

16. darski

darski Regent in Training

I only play at lower levels but I take the advice of my military advisor seriously... allowing for the fact that he wants every gold piece spent on Cavs:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Theryman

Theryman King

Also, the romans may have Cavalry, and probably do. A dozen cav can overrun 6 panzers.

18. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

Out of all the ******** advisors you pick this one?

19. Aabraxan

:lol:

Excellent advice here. I'm a big fan of smiting. ;)

20. Nergal

Nergal Prince

Just smite them .... and then smite them some more until they give up and lie quivering in their beds having bad dreams about being smited ...