Songhai: triple gold from "pillaging Cities"

InFlux5

King
So the Songhai UA says they get triple gold from "pillaging Cities". But you don't pillage cities, you raze them. You pillage tile improvements.

So is it triple gold from pillaging tile improvements? You don't even get gold for razing cities, right?

You get gold for capturing a city. Around 200-300 I think. So the Songhai would get a lot more

It's poorly worded regarding cities. It ought to say 'plundering' or capturing.

Razing cities gives nothing in terms of gold for the Songhai (can't remember now if anybody else does tho I don't think so). You can get a wee bit of gold from selling off buildings in cities you are razing (and you might as well sell one building per turn to get some slight extra benefit from the city before it goes *poof*)

It's daft that a razed city doesn't auto-sell the remaining infrastructure. Needless micro demand.

What are peoples thoughts about this Civ? Obviously its domination focused but a few wars to raze the odd AI city seems ok.
Plus you get triple gold from barb camps do 75 gold each.

Songhai is surely made for early game religion - get pilgrimage and holy warriors and buy loads of mandekalu cav. Puppet as many cities as you can - they'll all build free mud pyramids leading to more faith and thus more missionaries (for more faith with pilgrimage!) and more mandekalu cav.

Back it up with religious centre or choral music to make your mud pyramids even better.

Songhai is surely made for early game religion - get pilgrimage and holy warriors and buy loads of mandekalu cav. Puppet as many cities as you can - they'll all build free mud pyramids leading to more faith and thus more missionaries (for more faith with pilgrimage!) and more mandekalu cav.

Back it up with religious centre or choral music to make your mud pyramids even better.
Huh. I haven't ever tried playing them with quite that focus. But any religious synergies are quite accidental I would guess since Songhai's (Askia's) UA (Leader Trait) hasn't changed much at all from Vanilla.

What are peoples thoughts about this Civ? Obviously its domination focused but a few wars to raze the odd AI city seems ok.
Plus you get triple gold from barb camps do 75 gold each.

I've barb hunted my way to fabulous wealth before. Domination not required.

In my Giant Earth TSL Games (43 Civs), the Songhai (AI) are usually one of the stronger, expansionistic Civs, taking over West and North Africa, conquering Marokko, Carthago and Egypt ... They expand in Africa until they reach the borders of the Ethiopean Empire (East Africa) and the Zulu Empire (South and Central Africa) ...

With Songhai you can gather enough gold from barb camps to buy early settler, definitely one of the advantages, and obviously there will be no shortage of gold while in war if combined with Honor.
Their UB and UU are pretty decent as well.

I'm playing them for my first time on Emperor, Marathon, Continents.

Opened Honor then full Tradition. Barb gold paid for Granary AND Worker, chopped GL, NC, Oracle. Barb gold funded a large army, effectively eliminated all five neighbours by AD. Wanted to bring Elizabeth back to life, but when I eliminated Assyria by capturing Canterbury, UI bug meant 'liberate' wasn't an option.

Captured Stonehenge gave me a GP, followed by Hagia Sophia (beelined Theology). Waited to found religion until I'd captured Celtic city, bought a Missionary, and bought a Mosque & Pagoda.

No Settlers, just capitals, so Barb gold continues to be more than enough to fund five CS allies, army upgrades, caravan purchases (moar food) and buildings for capital. Currently filling Commerce for infinite happiness, teaching for renaissance/industrial army to take to the seas and steamroller the rest.

Kamehameha witnessed everything. He's first.

Songhai are, in my head, possibly the most "underrated" civ, in that they can be a ton of fun, make tons of money, are great at fighting, make filling out Honor worthwhile, and yet are rarely discussed. In many ways, they're basically a version of Assyria that's less flashy and way more dependable (also, in many ways, like a more-dependable version of Spain, for that matter.)

What I mean to say is that they simply will get early money, for doing stuff you want to do anyway, and a lot of it. Assyria might get a tech for taking a city, but likely not. Songhai will get tons of cash. Spain may find an early wonder and get all the cash for an early settler. Songhai will find numerous Barb camps and get that gold. I'm no expert at high-difficulty strategies, but it seems to me that Songhai fits them better than most civs do. It's just Vanilla and was never sexy, plus it's not Arabia or Mongolia or any of the other specialized ones.

Still, if you saw a DLC come out today that gave triple gold for taking barb camps and other civs cities, and it also gave units automatic Amphibious + War Canoe, and their temples came with +2 Culture, wouldn't you be excited?

Songhai is worth a try, is all I'm saying. They've recently become one of my favorites.

The temple uu is also really cool because its cheap that means that it costs no maintenance and not only that but the mud mosque also has culture per turn when it comes to its gains.

I'm going to come right out and say they're broken on Marthon. The Barbarian gold is scaled up to nearly 250, with an unaffected spawn rate and longer window of loads of unclaimed land. Every ten or so turns, you can buy another unit or CS friendship. And with all those units, you can bulldoze your neighbours - ensuring more barb spawns, which yield more than some happiness sink puppet city, and fund even more conquest and CS alliances.

I don't care too much for full Honour. Opener is enough for Barb radar & culture. The rest I put into Tradition, and Commerce. Maybe a couple of Patrnage or Piety, depending.

yeah, on an Epic/Marathon game, the Songhai UA tends to get scaled up a tick too much

Top Bottom