1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Songhai

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Txurce, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I played Songhai on Emperor level with 7.4, intent on using Militia with Mandekalu Cavalry (MC) to achieve a warmongering culture victory. This plan didn't last long, since I found myself on an island with only Greece, Polynesia, and access to only one cultural CS and three Militaristic. (Later I found more CS behind Greece.) Instead I decided to go for Conquest victory, since I thought my cultural start made sense for it.

I went the NC+HE route, first hitting Tradition for the Landmark and free Mosque, then moving on to Liberty for the free settler. This worked out perfectly and from there I shifted to Honor. Given the planned Chivalry start I also built up my science quickly, and pretty soon was running second.

Polynesia attacked me after I settled close by, and I was at war from then on. My focus had been on garrisoning with scouts, using Chariots to pre-train MC, and then build Militia just as the MC were ready to roll. My six chariots did such a devastating job on Polynesia, though, that I just kept at it, getting more and more promotions. Before I knew it, Honolulu was about to fall to my chariots... and it was 800 AD, with the window for building Militia just shut.

I then converted the chariots to MC. They were, in a word, devastating. I tore through Polynesia and then Greece, converting to cavalry near the end. No siege units, no melee... just these highly promoted city killers. Despite my late start, I was ready to head to the other continent around turn 230.

By the time I got there I had artillery and the MC. Riflemen were being built back home. I took a CS I was still at war with as a base, moved into friendly Japanese territory... and was ambushed by a dogpile of every civ on the map except Japan. I lost a couple of units in the first turn, then proceeded to wipe out everything around me. The power of artillery and MC with blitz march and an extra move - upgraded to tanks! - was the most one-sided sustained experience I've had with Civ 5. I researched flight and eventually added fighters and bombers to the mix.

This was so one-sided that only happiness slowed me down. Taking four size 25+ cities put me deep in the red, depite being able to buy every single happiness building. I timed two big captures with Mass Media, then rushed stadiums to solve my problem. (In had no Piety SP's yet.) At this point it was turn 284, I was researching the Manhattan Project, and had three capitals to go - with only one fielding any sort of an army.

And then Siam, whom I had reduced to one city and forgotten about, won a culture victory. I burst out laughing.

Songhai worked very well in this manner, since I could have gotten off to a faster start. I enjoyed them so much that I'm tempted to forego the other civs I've been planning on using and playing the again... this time with less self-indulgence with my chariots!