Sons of Monarchy I: Mansa Musa

Giant Wolfman

Warlord
Welcome to Sons of Monarchy: Round I

Our first game will feature Mansa Musa of Mali

Mansa is:
Financial: +1 :commerce: on tiles with 2 or more :commerce:
Spiritual: No Anarchy in addition to Double Production of Temples & the Cristo Redentor Wonder

Very good trait combo to start us off with.

Mali's Starting Techs & Uniques:
Mining & The Wheel
Mint: A Forge that also gives +10% :gold:
Skirmisher: A 4 :strength: archer and 1-2 first strikes (instead of 1)

Skirmisher is a very good, resourceless unit that opens up the possibility of a skirmisher rush. The mint is a solid UB that synergizes well with Financial. More gold is never a bad thing :p

The Start:

Fractal Map, No Huts, All Other Settings Standard (Events can be turned off by loading the game through the Custom Scenario screen and selecting No Random Events).
Spoiler Map Details :
Second map generated (First had terrible land distribution between AIs). Switched our closest neighbor to facilitate a skirmisher rush for those interested. Originally was
Spoiler AI :
the Protective Saladin. I wanted to make a skirmisher rush possible for those of us (myself included) who have never done it.
No other map edits

To play: I am using the same process as the Noble's Club so those familiar with that excellent series just do the same thing. Download the attached zip files & unzip into your BTS/Saves/Wordbuilder folder. Go to Custom Scenarios, select the SoM Save corresponding to your desired difficulty level, and customize game settings as desired. I have not included saves for Prince and lower difficulties. If the demand is present, I can start adding them. If you are playing Monarch or higher, you will need to add archery to barbs. To do so, zoom all the way in, open worldbuilder, and add the archery tech to the barbarian civilization.

Posts should include: Thoughts on start/where to settle first and what initial tech path. Later saves can include position at 1 AD, liberalism race as a midgame checkpoint, and the final result. Players are encouraged to post as much as they desire, though screenshots/saves make receiving help easier. Spoiler details about the map and your playing for all details except regarding the opening screenshot.

Good luck, and happy civving!

Attachments

• SOM I Mansa Musa.zip
    80.8 KB · Views: 260
Really hoping there's a good way to get that gold in the BFC. Lots of trees for chopping and hillpigs are nice anyway!

P.S. When we do a British game it should be "Monarchy in the UK."

Singing in, interesting start, Maybe we could settle on the pig to get the gold in the bfc and the extra production+food from the tile itself? Nevertheless im going to try this on Immortal/Normal.

Custom scenario and turn them off :) assuming that zip contains WB saves :p

Singing in, interesting start, Maybe we could settle on the pig to get the gold in the bfc and the extra production+food from the tile itself? Nevertheless im going to try this on Immortal/Normal.

No hammer as its a Grass Hill not a Plains Hill, no Food as its a Grass Hill not a Flat Grassland. 1E keeps the same amount of hills from what we can see from SS, trading a Forested Grass Hill for the Plains Hill Gold

Capital and "our land" spoilers:

Spoiler :
That is downright icky actually, even settling 1E to get the gold. I hate capitals where one of the "food sources" is a flood plain, especially with Mansa, who wants to cottage spam and use that to win the game. The gold and forests are nice, but long-term, it's really blah.

The land to the northwest isn't really impressive, either, especially considering that it is--I believe--impossible to irrigate the northwest rice. Much better to head east and take land from Tyrannosaurus REX over there.

Spoiler :
Playing this on Immortal right now. I axe rushed my neighbour and am on 8 cities with room to expand to a few more and I'm ahead the other 2 civs on my continent tech-wise. Financial with riverside makes stuff like this so easy. :)

immortal, 1923 AD space

Spoiler :
I tried the skirm rush, twice. Second time I actually managed to kill Joao (from whom I stole 3 workers with initial warrior). Then I had half the continent just for me. Eventually I elepulted a few cities from Genghis, before AP forced me into peace. I came back for Genghis with cavalry and wiped him out. Then I got bored with warring and just automated everything and teched to space.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Will not play due to the worst troll in all off CIV being on.

Worst troll? To what are you referring? Our closest neighbor?

Capital and "our land" spoilers:

Spoiler :
That is downright icky actually, even settling 1E to get the gold. I hate capitals where one of the "food sources" is a flood plain, especially with Mansa, who wants to cottage spam and use that to win the game. The gold and forests are nice, but long-term, it's really blah.

The land to the northwest isn't really impressive, either, especially considering that it is--I believe--impossible to irrigate the northwest rice. Much better to head east and take land from Tyrannosaurus REX over there.

Spoiler :
Yeah, the surrounding land quality left something to be desired, and a hill food resource along with flood plains for the capital was less than stellar. I do, however, want to provide a nice variety of starts, some good and some bad. Not all capitals are going to have two wet corn and pigs

Spoiler :
Hey, Copper is close at hand and Joao's got a really nice commerce capital--won't hear any complaints from me. The map's pretty balanced all in all, but for some reason Pericles of all people was starting to run away with it during my play-through.

Random events are one of the dumbest additions to CIV ever. I don't understand why you would ever play with them on.

Will play at IMM/normal. Warrior 1 SE than SIP or settle 1E. I would love to reveal some grains as we can't tech AH right away.

Immortal/normal up to 325 AD

Spoiler :
Moved the warrior 1SE and found more riverside tiles, so settled 1E.
Spoiler Timbuktu :

Teched hunting -> AH to improve the pigs followed by BW and writing. I met Joao :sad: to the east, Sal and Genghis. As Joao is so close and my northern border touches desert I planned for a breakout. Djenne went west to secure the badly needed phants to stomp Joao.
Spoiler Djenne :

Built two more cities and prepared for war. Research went well due to gold mines and some cottages. At 1 AD I was almost ready to attack this annoying city spammer.
Spoiler Land at 1 AD :

Spoiler Stack at 1 AD :

Spoiler Tech at 1 AD :

Should be an easy war. Joao was busy spamming wonders and cities in the northern part of our landmass. He has metals and crossbows but no feudalism. The war plan was to snatch Oporto (holy jewish city) and Lisbon (wonders) and divide his empire in two parts as a certain roman commander suggested, than to take peace.
Spoiler Attack at t120 :

Did I mention the wonder spamming? Two turns later:
Spoiler :

Well, won't save you! Oporto fell next turn and gave me control of the jewish shrine which I didn't expect, but ... okay, I'll take it :lol:
Spoiler Oporto :

There was nothing to stop the superior mali army with its war elephants. Lisbon fell turn 125.
Spoiler Lisbon :
Before ...

... and after the attack.

After capturing Guimarães the war ended.
Spoiler Guimarães :

Both Timbuktu and Lisbon have an academy and some riverside land to cottage. This, the Temple of Solomon and Colossus should let me tech with lightning speed. Joao will be pleased by same religion and monarchy, and everyone will hate Sal. Next stop cannons.
Spoiler Acquired land :

Space 1930 AD

Spoiler :
For reasons that are not clear my screenshots disappeared. Whatever, I teched to rifling and steel and drafted an army to crush Joao (vassaled), Sal (vassaled) and Genghis (destroyed). So as the landmass was united I invaded India but got defeated as Isi daggered me. Had to fight a loooooong naval war against her but wasn't in serious danger of losing the game. When all new cities came out of revolt and built factories it was just a matter of time. Had > 2000 bpt in the end.

Spoiler :
I peacefully expended the west of the continent, cottaged and played pretty conventional tech race until Rifling. Built a bunch of temples and theaters, switched to Universal Sufferage and bought a bunch of Rifles at a rate of about 1/turn. DoW'd on Joao, who'd culture flipped two of my cities but never did nab the stone from my borders. He had Infantry by the time I killed him off. Diplo was ok and so I moved to Mass Media, built the UN and missed a diplo victory vote by about 150 votes. Genghis abstained at Pleased and Isabella did too. No one voted for India except India. I could have moved my Rifles on Genghis but that would have left me short another 30 votes or so (Sal was friendly). I gave up at about 1880, I didn't have the patience for a intercontinental war.

Top Bottom