1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sons of Monarchy XI: Washington of America

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by klonoklown, Dec 3, 2012.

1. klonoklown

klonoklown Civ Junky

Welcome to Sons of Monarchy: Round XI

Our eleventh round will feature Washington of America

Washington is:
    Expansive: +2 :health: in all cities, 25% faster production of worker, double production speed of granary and harbor
    Charismatic: +1 :) in all cities, -25% XP needed for unit promotion, +1 :) from monument and broadcast tower

Remember the 25% faster production of worker counts towards hammers only, NOT food. IMHO this is a good trait combo for fast and early expansion. Then a good combination for warring as well, faster promotions and ability to whip granaries quick.

America's Starting Techs & Uniques:
    Fishing & Agriculture
    Mall: A supermarket that gives an +20% :gold: & +1 :) from Hit Musicals, Singles, and Movies.
    Navy SEAL: A marine that gets 1-2 first strikes & starts with the March promotion.

IMHO the UB and UU for america comes very late and in most cases you have already won the game, or in a great position to win. They can be nice in very rare occasions, but by no means are they a top tier UB and UU.

The Start:

No Huts, No Events, All Other Settings Standard
    Spoiler Map Details :
    Lakes Map, High Sea Level, No edits

To play: I am using the same process as the Noble's Club so those familiar with that excellent series just do the same thing. Download the attached zip files & unzip into your BTS/Saves/Worldbuilder folder. Go to Custom Scenarios, select the SoM Save corresponding to your desired difficulty level, and customize game settings as desired. You will need to add techs to barbs. To do so:
    Spoiler :
    zoom all the way in, open worldbuilder, and add the appropriate techs to the barbarian civilization. This means archery at monarch or higher, hunting at emperor or higher, agriculture at immortal or deity, and the wheel at deity.

Posters are encouraged to include: Thoughts on start/where to settle first and what initial tech path. Later saves can include position at 1 AD, liberalism race as a midgame checkpoint, and the final result. Players are encouraged to post as much as they desire, though screenshots/saves make receiving help easier. Spoiler details about the map and your playing for all details except regarding the opening screenshot.

Good luck, and happy civving!

Attached Files:

2. klonoklown

klonoklown Civ Junky

Not sure to move the warrior 1NE or 1SW. Unless something good shows up I'll SIP.

3. Smilingrogue

Smilingrogue Raging Barbarian

I would move the warrior 1SW and if the empty green tiles down there have food, would seriously consider settling 1S of the gold. I really hate wasting a riverside green hill. A city on the Plains hill 2N of the gold is likely going to pick up a lot of flood plains and may not be a bad choice to be a capital down the line.

4. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

Move warrior 1NE, settle 2N1W.

5. klonoklown

klonoklown Civ Junky

Could you elaborate? One thing I struggle with is optimized city placement.

6. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

You get Corn, Gold, and more FPs.

7. MrKlew

MrKlew Warlord

Won't you lose the fresh water bonus and end up with a really low health cap?

8. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

Hardly matters, you can get more than enough health from resource trades, and the granary. It will really only start to matter very late in the BC, or mid ADs. By then you can build Aqueducts, and you should easily get tons of health from your friends.

9. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

Boourns to no convenient PH to settle with an expansive leader.

10. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

And a forested PH that can be worked immediately to get your worker out faster.

11. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

That is an added bonus, I didn't even think about that. :p

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I hate settling on green river hills, but I think SIP is fine here. Moving doesn't buy you much and does not give you more FPs.

13. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

I've already played, Immortal till around 500 AD and SIP worked fine for me. Besides, moving your Capital loses automatic trade routes with potential cities not to mention a big loss of production. I can see either route working just fine but I didn't even consider moving. Will post some screen shots in a bit.

14. admtanaka

admtanaka Warlord

For me, to move with such a strong SIP start seems counter-intuitive. With a start like this, I'll take what I can see rather than move and take what I get.

15. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

I settled on the forested plains hill. I like it.

Spoiler :
    Double gold!

EDIT: Ragequit the crap out of this one.

Spoiler :
    Shaka peacevassals to Sury and forces me into a long, miserable war, then I get pulled out by the AP after wiping out Shaka before I can actually make any real gains against Sury? Yeah, I can do that once.

Doing it again after Mehmed declares war on me? Eff. And. No.

16. vranasm

vranasm Deity

i would kinda settle 1N killing that flood plain, but retaining river, irrigating corn from city tile and still tons of grass hills and oasis

settling as ZZZ said kills 1 FP too so maybe that's ok settling 1N

very nice bureau cap... washington is fun leader to me. exp+chm even if not maybe the best combo usually means good early game thanks to the higher happy cap and cheaper workers.

17. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

game update. Immortal to 780 AD
    Spoiler :
    SIP. Tech path; Min > Wheel > Pot > Bw > Myst > Wrt (academy 1xGS) > Alpha > Math > Currency > CoL (750 Bc ish) > Cs (475 Bc ish) > Philo (1xbulb) Aesth > Lit > Drama > Music > Nationalism > Paper > Edu (2xbulb) > Comp > Lib (560 AD) (1xbulb) (MT) > Gunpowder > Guilds > PP (1xbulb) > Chemistry. Everything else was traded for.

Build order; worker > warriors to 4 pop > settler > worker (1xchop) > worker > granary > then grew to happy cap while making warriors and 2 Axe > 2nd city to the west on PH and took 2 workers to chop out SH (2040ish) > Founded 2 more immediate cities, one on a GH (blocking Shaka) with sheep/marble, and the other next to stone/cow. With Math in made a couple of chops to help finish Mids (875 BC).

I founded Conf and it spread to Shaka so I had him pleased most of the game. Switched into OR pretty early and from here I began expanding into 3 more cities (and 1 barb city) while getting a larger worker force (13 in the BCs). Finished expanding in the 500 BC range and used big food (irrigation/luxury) to quickly grow and whip infras while using REP scientist to power research. I grabbed MoM > Parthenon > TGL > Taj > and a NE and a HE city in the process.

Used my Ga from Music to start my 1st GA and switched civics to PS > Bureau > Caste > none > Pacifism. I built a Theater in Capital and Tartar so I could use the culture slider for happiness while running PS. During my GA every city excluding my Theater cities would be "building" HAs (PS/GA +:hammers:/and I began laying down ws'). I built a total of 34 HAs, 30 of which I would upgrade to Cuirs (5100:gold:).

Sometime after my 1st GA I finished the Taj and began my 2nd, in the 700 AD range. I stayed in Caste and Pacifism from like 25 AD until present, while switching back into REP one turn before my 1st GA finished. Benefits of staying in caste are more hammers via workshops which are "respectable before guilds/chemistry only because of GA:hammers:. Additionally you're able to generate quite a few more people, albeit, by staying in Pacifism you pay some maintenance, but imo, well worth the extra 4-5 GP you can get. Also, and another great benefit, you maintain the ability to power more research and get to other key techs quite a bit faster because you have higher population and more great people (caste/pacifism). Whipping is great and I do it a lot but transitioning to hammers quite early can be just as strong if not stronger....every situation and map dependent.

When my 1st GA started I actually used 3 cities as GPFs, although briefly, at which point only the Capital and Tartar would be in pretty much non stop GPP generation. Brief pause for a Colosseum in Tartar and University in Capital. As you can see in my screen shots I have already got 9 great people, 3 GM and 6 GS and within the next 10 turns will have gotten 2 more GS which will 2xbulb SM.......during which time I will have finished researching Chemistry > Banking > and Economics (yet another free GM to power research or upgrades) and then Communism should be finished right around 1030-1050 AD.....perfect timing for SP to save maintenance on conquered cities, keep research higher, and have supercharged WS'.

Edit: I've already played this to an early Victory a couple days ago. Will post some more screen shots in a few days. Tried to find the save but all I have is Pepe26 Miracle Gandhi start lol. Lost my damn Pericles save too. Silly Gandhi!!

18. martin.vojtisek

martin.vojtisek Chieftain

Hi this is my try of the game on monarch difficulty. I mostly struggle on monarch, particularly in the mid-game. I settled in place, started worker. Research was mining, pottery, bronze, writing, alphabet, currency, CoL. traded for the rest. I lost one warrior to barbs. Probably havent done enough whipping and worker building. most workers and settlers came from the capital.

I would very much welcome any suggestions as what to improve (tile and city improvements, city placement, research, unit builds...) and where to go next. expand peacefully, or try to elephant rush shaka?

Thank you very much

map:
    Spoiler :

techs:
    Spoiler :

diplo:
    Spoiler :

cities:
    Spoiler :

anyway, domination in 1826

Attached Files:

19. pepe26

pepe26 Lacrosse Enthusiast

Why would you do that when you have to give up the corn for it?! The extra hammer does not seem to be worth it in my eyes not even with an EXP leader

20. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

To be honest...

Spoiler :
    I forgot to zoom in all the way when giving Archery to the barbs and I saw the extra gold. :( So yeah, cheaty. But to be fair it was a miserable game and it certainly wasn't the best place for my first city, so it's not like I didn't pay for it.