1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soren Johnson Leaves Firaxis Games

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Apolyton reports that Soren Johnson, the co-lead designer on Civilization III and lead designer on Civilization IV, has left Firaxis Games on April 2nd, after nearly seven years working at Firaxis.

Soren Johnson has returned to the West Coast and joined California-based Electronic Arts. He previously worked there as a programming intern for sports titles Knockout Kings 2000 and 2001 for the PlayStation.

Currently, he is working on the cross-platform "Spore", which the game's designer Will Wright has referred to as a Massively Single-Player game.

Soren is a very talented game designer and made lots of truly significant contribution to the Civilization series. We wish him the best of luck at EA!

EDIT (11:39 PM): GameDaily contacted Firaxis and Firaxis Director of Marketing Kelley Gilmore confirmed Johnson is indeed leaving:

2. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

Well, now they have to replace Soren with Kael to make CivV as successfully as CivIV ;) :lol:

Well... good luck Soren.

3. Stratofortress

Stratofortress Warlord

Hope this change takes Civilization into new directions.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Chieftain

Let's hope not, shall we :)

Asmodean

5. Steve the Noble

Steve the Noble Noble

It's tough to know how much of Civ IV was Soren's vision vs. the whole team's, but Soren's talent is clear.

I've seen some previews for "Spore" and it looks very interesting - kind of a "Sim" game. I think Soren will have some great contributions for it.

I remember reading about Soren discussing a Civ IV improvement that I think turned out to be key: removing parts of the game that aren't fun. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with pollution and entire cities in revolt as in previous Civ titles.

6. Andy_Candy

Andy_Candy Chieftain

Left to work for EA?!!!!!? What a bloody waste of talent.... The world has become a poorer place, but good luck Soren!

7. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

Hopefully he makes spore even cooler than it already looks.

8. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

EA is the worst company to make any other gaems besides simulation and sports... they kick ass on making sports and simulation games, but suck at making RPG, Strategy, and so forth.

9. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

That guy was lead designer on the first Civilization game I haven't liked, so this is pretty good news for Civ 5, for me anyway.

@Andy_Candy: You clearly don't understand. He left to work on Spore, what will be one of the (if not the) most influential and greatest games to come out within the next few years. The sheer awesomeness that Spore will be cannot be described in my post.

10. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

This makes SPORE the best game of all time, or the biggest let-down of all the time. Let's hope for the first one.

11. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

even bigger news is that CivFanatics got scooped by Apolycrap... maybe a merger is in order after all

12. largedarryl

largedarryl Prince

Well that is a shame that he went to work for EA, a gaming giant that isn't able to accomplish anything good. (Every PC NHL game has progressively gotten worse since 04)

Hopefully he'll be able to make spore even better, or maybe he'll help improve the ambigous civilization stage of spore. Maybe it'll be a civ rip off.

13. HypnosTene

HypnosTene Warlord

Same here. No wonder we both have avatars from civ2 ;p

14. werdna

werdna Warlord

i disagree. i've played civ since version 1, but 4 was the one that really pulled me in. i've spent countless hours playing 1-3, but multiply that by 1000 for civ4

15. vyapti

vyapti Prince

I'll second that! So long as it doesn't pull Kael from FFH

16. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

I'm very saddened to hear that Soren will be moving on from the Civilization series; it was his vision, more than anyone else's, that made Civ4 what it is today. I had the pleasure of communicating with Soren frequently online and occasionally in person, and was always impressed both by his knowledge of complex inner game mechanics and easy-going personality. Firaxis is losing an extremely talented developer; I hope they can find a replacement half as good.

17. PGM

PGM Chieftain

I think we just lost the lead designer of the greatest Civ so far. The new key concepts were all his, plus the removal of all the annoying parts of micromanagement - that was confirmed many times by Sid and Firaxis.

I wonder if the crap they named "Afterworld" for the nest expansion is the new direction...

18. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

He's working on Spore! I was sad to hear he's leaving Civ behind, but to work on SPORE! :D Good luck, Soren!

SilverKnight

19. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

If I interpret Sulla's post correctly, it looks like Soren was already 'lost' for the expansions anyway.

20. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

That's really sad, I liked Soren

Maybe get Rhye in there too. Come on, Rhye is the king. >.>