Soren Johnson's Old World

Anyone else noticing that you can end up at war at the drop of a hat and not really realize at many times? And also many times, nothing happens in said war and the belligerent just suddenly reaches out and says 'peace would be a good idea'? Still loving it so far, there's still a lot I don't understand or know how to do yet.
Rome keeps declaring war on me, destroying my entire (minimal, tbf) army and then buggering off. Then coming back, repeating. It's a bit tiresome.

Also... check this out for a chuckle.
upload_2020-5-7_19-31-46.png

Kinda hard to build up when everything takes turns to do, and Rome is throwing four/five units of spears and some horse dudes at me.

This is still my first game and OMG it is hard, even on the lowest difficulty.

I am on my first play - Is there a way to display resource icons on the tiles so I can see them?

It doesn't work like that I don't think. When you are in your city view you can see what they times produce. If you want to see what a worker can do I think you can hold CTRL and hover over tiles to see what yield you might get. I can't confirm at the moment.

I should also mention I'm on the test branch. I have two on my Epic Launcher, EA and Test Branch EA.

Kinda hard to build up when everything takes turns to do, and Rome is throwing four/five units of spears and some horse dudes at me.

This is still my first game and OMG it is hard, even on the lowest difficulty.

Yea, it's pretty challenging. Gonna take a few games to get used to the pacing and when to get a bigger military. My understanding is you always want a strong army.

Yea, it's pretty challenging. Gonna take a few games to get used to the pacing and when to get a bigger military. My understanding is you always want a strong army.
So far the "strafing run" nature of war really bothers me, but yeah, I get the feeling that each city needs a standing army of 3 or 4 units each to be safe.

Was there an event where you took his rattle?
There was not, funnily enough. 47BCE was a bad year for Bomilcar... He lost his mother, Dido, to illness and his son died after an event in a tavern. He ascended the throne, had to deal with Rome being Rome, and I forget what else happened...

It doesn't work like that I don't think. When you are in your city view you can see what they times produce. If you want to see what a worker can do I think you can hold CTRL and hover over tiles to see what yield you might get. I can't confirm at the moment.

I should also mention I'm on the test branch. I have two on my Epic Launcher, EA and Test Branch EA.

Perhaps I was not clear: I want icons on the tiles that have harvestable resource, like marble, olive, gems, etc...

Anyone else have the 'Conduct 3 Inquiries' quest fail to recognize when I complete inquiries? I did about 7 or 8 in the allotted time and none of them were recognized.

I think, the shield icons of the units would be better recognizable/readable, if the background/civilization color would have more weight/area - (the same color can seem different in context of adjacent color).
For this the service branch symbol in foreground/family color could be daintier/smaller as well as the shield icon border thinner or just consist of the same tiny symbols (dot, plus, triangle etc.) used for city borders.

Maybe the intensity of events could be made configurable? Few, medium, many. Perhaps less important ones ("25th grandchild education") distributed evenly among categories over time or chosen randomly each time for players, who want not so much events. And "open end" for those players, who just cannot have enough ...

In role playing mode I'd like the option to skip the notification of the resulting effect.
In standard mode I'd like the option to show directly the resulting effect (without mouseover). Maybe in different color and/or typeset. Regrouped text, the common part of the effect in the main text body - in the choices just the different part of the effect.

Played two games to about the 100 turn mark. I like the economy side of things, but everyone just declares war on you all the time, to the point where it just feels like the game is designed more as a 6v1 game and not a 1v1v1v1v1v1 game (if that makes sense). A few examples

I receive word of a barbarian raid near Ecbatana. Okay cool, there is fog of war directly to the east, to the south east there is the Thracians (at peace, somehow) and to the north east there is Carthage (war). Expectation - barbs will come from the east. Reality, barbs will march alongside (literally next to) Thracian units, neither side will attack the other, right up to my borders. Like, if they are barbarians they should be attacking each other ?

Carthage and the Gauls are both at war with me and each other. Elephantine (I think that was the city) borders both, Carthage to the south east and Gaul to the east. I get overwhelmed fairly quickly and lose the city. Gallic units, rather than attack Carthage (who they are at war with) proceed to chase my retreating units (not getting any attacks on me off) rather than deal any damage at all to Carthage (Who also, decide to do the same thing). I end up fighting an enemy supposedly at war with one another but banding together to take me out.To the North east, I lose two archers, that were sandwiched between a group of barbarians and Carthage. Once the archers are killed, the barbs just peace out Carthage I guess ? Because I can see their units are taking no damage afterwards.....

I think the penalty for ranged units attacking from far away needs to be a lot higher. At the moment war is basically magic archer carpet appears out of the fog of war, takes out one unit with focus fire. Then it's your turn and you do the same thing to them. Rinse and repeat. Melee units, as far as I can tell, are useful in zero situations.

Played two games to about the 100 turn mark. I like the economy side of things, but everyone just declares war on you all the time, to the point where it just feels like the game is designed more as a 6v1 game and not a 1v1v1v1v1v1 game (if that makes sense). A few examples

I receive word of a barbarian raid near Ecbatana. Okay cool, there is fog of war directly to the east, to the south east there is the Thracians (at peace, somehow) and to the north east there is Carthage (war). Expectation - barbs will come from the east. Reality, barbs will march alongside (literally next to) Thracian units, neither side will attack the other, right up to my borders. Like, if they are barbarians they should be attacking each other ?

Carthage and the Gauls are both at war with me and each other. Elephantine (I think that was the city) borders both, Carthage to the south east and Gaul to the east. I get overwhelmed fairly quickly and lose the city. Gallic units, rather than attack Carthage (who they are at war with) proceed to chase my retreating units (not getting any attacks on me off) rather than deal any damage at all to Carthage (Who also, decide to do the same thing). I end up fighting an enemy supposedly at war with one another but banding together to take me out.To the North east, I lose two archers, that were sandwiched between a group of barbarians and Carthage. Once the archers are killed, the barbs just peace out Carthage I guess ? Because I can see their units are taking no damage afterwards.....

I think the penalty for ranged units attacking from far away needs to be a lot higher. At the moment war is basically magic archer carpet appears out of the fog of war, takes out one unit with focus fire. Then it's your turn and you do the same thing to them. Rinse and repeat. Melee units, as far as I can tell, are useful in zero situations.

I hope Soren reads this forum... but you could post it on Discord, too:
https://discord.com/channels/703016545953251379/703016546380939366

Fully agree! Well said.

After playing a few more times, I can't seem to figure out what actually determines how long it takes a city to complete a unit, project, etc.

Anyone have some insight?

This does look good, but I try to avoid investing in games outside of GOG these days. Maybe it'll become something spectacular during early access.

After playing a few more times, I can't seem to figure out what actually determines how long it takes a city to complete a unit, project, etc.

Anyone have some insight?

Units cost different things (growth, civics, etc) and are built with the rate the city they are built at gains the respective resource (say a 100 growth settler will take 13 turns for growth +8 city)

Top Bottom