1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soren Johnson's Old World

Discussion in 'Old World' started by Casworon, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Hi @Casuality of war, you might want to use the existing thread regarding unit movement (especially during combat) for your related feed-back. I feel that a more focused discussion is more helpful to Soren than the necessity to gather opinions about a topic all over the place. :) Your proposal about movement effects in own territory is worth a consideration, but here it might get lost ...

2. Shadowhal

Shadowhal Warlord

Thanks Soren, that sounds exactly right. Always running short of just a few to do all you want to.

Maybe allow some limited stockpiling of orders? I imagine that you will need a lot more, once you are fighting a major war (or multiple ones). It is right that a war comes at the expense of internal development, but it seems hard to find one value of orders that it is adequate for all reasonable circumstances. I recall some later tech or trait allows storage of orders, so maybe something very simple, like 1-2 orders can be stockpiled per turn up to a reserve of … dunno. Something around 20-50. The trait can then make it more powerful.

A slightly wacky idea on later-game micromanagement: could it be an idea to introduce smart automation features in return for orders? Like, task workers to improve city X by focusing on natural resources and this won't require orders. Or set that at city level. You know, some way to delegate control later on when those smaller decisions matter less, in favour of having more orders for important stuff like diplomacy, laws, warfare etc.?

riddleofsteel and tedhebert like this.
  3. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Exactly @soren, NOT QUITE enough do to ALL you wanna do is exactly right ;-)

riddleofsteel likes this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

A tip for people:

Religion isn't like Civ VI. You adopt it like you do a law, using the same resources but using the religion menu.

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I'm finally getting on top of how resources work so I guess religion will be next. I got one in one of my starts but I didn't really know what to do after that.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Yeah, pretty much the same here. I found it by clicking the Religion menu after I got an ambition to have a state religion. You need 400 civics (I think - the Gavel/Hammer symbol) in order to make it your state religion, or at least that was the cost for me playing as Egypt.

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

I've kind of hit a wall in terms of gameplay here. Are you supposed to be out there actively waging war and destroying other civs and tribes? I find that once I get a third city, I'm completely hemmed by the other nations with no room to expand. I'm sure I'm just not getting something, and falling back to Civ instincts.

8. Starwars

Starwars Prince

Yes, you can't really play a peaceful game like you can in Civilization if you want to win. Once you've claimed as many of the "free" city spots as you can, you'll likely move on to clearing Barbarian camps, then likely move on to identifying which tribe will be the most beneficial to war against. And of course, somewhere in all this, seeing what other nation you can take on.

riddleofsteel likes this.
  9. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I have a problem with the way the cities are represented on the map, more precisely as far as easily being able to tell who the cities belong to. First, the city caption is not very clear nor informative. But more importantly, the city limits coloring are confusing, in that
    the border coloring are different inside the same civ depending on what family you chose for each specific city. BUT, then, the SAME coloring could be used for a DIFFERENT civ. Here's an example:

upload_2020-5-12_16-6-4.png

In this example, both ANSHAN and ECBATANA belong to me, the PERSIAN civ. but PI-RAMESSES on the right, belongs to the EGYPTIAN civ, but is almonst exactly the same color as ECBATANA.

To make things worse, the family logo for the two cities are almost the same (horseshoe)

it makes it verydifficult to tell one from the other, and in my mind, it should be so apparent as to be reactive.

my 2 cents

10. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I find also that I have trouble remembering, when I go to the city screen, what that city was building/doing, what it just completed. I can't seem to find the info on the city screen. Am I missing something ? If not, then it's really a missing piece because with 6 cities, it's already hard for me to remember what
    each of them was working on. I DO find the info BEFORE it's completed, the top-right city icon give you the list and what it's currently working on, but when it's completed it just shows a big question mark.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  11. Starwars

Starwars Prince

I can't open the game at the moment so I can't tell you exactly where it is from memory now but the city screen does show you what you've just finished building. I will agree though that it doesn't exactly "pop out" and I missed it for quite some time before I went... " oh, *there* it is."
    But yeah, it is there.

tedhebert likes this.
  12. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I agree. There are a number of graphical problems that make it hard to discern what is what but I'm pretty sure the graphics are nowhere near complete. That may be the last thing they figure out after all the substantive stuff is finalized. (Btw I think FINALLY figured out how to tell if a unit is mine or not - you look at the field of the shield, not the border, instead of me clicking randomly on units to see which ones are mine).

tedhebert likes this.
  13. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

No you're not missing anything. Why do 4X games always leave out the "you just built X" notification LOL? Remember in Civ VI that wasn't even put in until after release. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

On a separate note, when you make decisions, it would be nice to see text on what just happened from a role playing perspective. Like if i pick a choice that causes a family to hate me, there could be some indication, AFTER you picked the choice, of the family saying such and such. Instead of just deciding and then nothing happens on screenBut I also get that you want to minimize pop ups and clicks so maybe that's not a great idea.

tedhebert likes this.
  14. Soren Johnson

Soren Johnson Game Designer

Fixed in today's patch.

aieeegrunt, Casworon, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  15. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Thank you!!

16. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

thx Soren. Appreciate it.

Hope it's clear that I'm posting these messages in an EA or Beta tester feedback motion, and my aim is to be constructive. If this is not the right place to make my comments, plz let me know where to make them. I'm not used to EA at all, but I AM an IT professional, and a developper, so I KNOW :)

17. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Have you noticed anything that deters you from going Infinite City Sprawl (until spots run out that is)? Or is more absolutely better than less?

18. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Hi all, not sure if this has been discussed already or not, but I'm wondering what you think about the limited city placement. I have played around 5-10 hours and although i enjoy most of the mechanics, I feel that the inability to place cities where you want, which in civ for example is quite a strategic and interesting decision, remove a bit of the fun in exploring and adapting. Sure you have 4-5 choices, but you will always go with the one that grabs the most resources I assume. So basically you know exactly from the start where all your cities are gonna go, and you don't need to think about it even a second.

Furthermore i also noticed that what happens is that other players will leave an unit on hold on a potential city placement for multiple years, like someone would wait on a parking spot until their relative arrives with the car. Feels a bit strange.

19. rastak

rastak Emperor

Wasn't sure about the limited cities at first but I think the orders system and the limited cities is a very key part of the design and balance. I've grown used to it now and it would seem strange spamming cities everywhere and probably not very balanced.

Elhoim and SammyKhalifa like this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

This is probably a dumb question, but will this auto-update or do I have to go on and download?