1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soren Johnson's Old World

Discussion in 'Old World' started by Casworon, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Yeah, I'd be all over this like bronze on a doorknob but that Epic thing... it's not ok with me. I'll pass. Hard pass.

Icicle and Savoir10 like this.
  2. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Hey, 2K... now is the perfect time for you to make the game I've been suggesting for a decade - 'Ancient Civilizations'. Start in the early bronze age and go to the (so called) 'dark' ages.

3. Savoir10

Savoir10 Warlord

Another Epic exclusive. Then it's a big Yeah-Nah from me. Such a pity.

Aussie_Lurker, Icicle and Hawke9 like this.
  4. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

I like the look of the game and that they won't focus on the fluffy graphics like animated leaders. Hopefully the AI will be able to give the human player a hard time.

footslogger likes this.
  5. tiamats4esgares

tiamats4esgares Warlord

Same.

Hopefully Civ VI gets a new DLC soon.

679x and Savoir10 like this.
  6. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Competition is important to avoid complacency

7. Casworon

Casworon Prince

This also worries me. To keep the game Feeling fresh they are going to need to have alot of events. And I mean ALOT to provide enough variety.

I think I read somewhere they are planning to have around 3000 events in the finished product and for it to be open to modding so the community can add many more events.

Still even with so many events in the game after about ten games I'm sure you will have seen the same events many times before

8. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

Johnson's Civ4 had an events system which I did like. Sure, they keep repeating but it's like a favourite novel which you read over and over again: you know the story but you even more feel for the protagonists.

9. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Sounds like a great game, but I won't do business with Epic. Their policies are anti-consumer.

Krajzen, 679x, Savoir10 and 1 other person like this.
  10. criZp

criZp Emperor

Yeah, if anything there should be even more civ-competitors. Especially ones that take AI slightly seriously.

Civrinn and SirWill90 like this.
  11. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

The game does look really interesting and fun. Too bad it is not offered to MacOS users. That is my complaint and reason why I won't buy it unless it is offered in Nvidia's GeForce Now at some point. But, I wasn't aware of Epic Games until reading about it here. So, please, help me understand the negative reaction towards them.

nzcamel and Siptah like this.
  12. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This does look good but I have major misgivings as it's only on Epic. Maybe if it ever comes to Steam...

Elhoim likes this.
  13. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

A lot of entitled gamer rage towards a steam competitor - not just here but all over gaming forums. Specifically people are upset about Epic making games exclusive to their platforms but...that's business. Epic is a business trying to win share from Steam.

Whether they like Epic or not, Epic saved this game from dying outright. The publisher went bankrupt and the Epic in exchange for exclusivity put up the money to help them move forward.

So complain about it all anyone wants but in this case the game literally wouldn't happen without Epic. Put yourself in Soren's shoes - you're an independent developer and someone offered you all the liquidity you needed to move forward and it's not even contingent on sales! It's just money for agreeing to be exclusive! It'd be stupid to not do that.

Krajzen, Civrinn, Icicle and 14 others like this.
  14. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

Exactly this. The client is a free download, Epic gives away free games every month, and more competition in the PC space is good for all. Valve is not your friend. So sick of this ridiculous rage from all corners of the PC gaming world.

In other news, Soren's game looks interesting. Definitely looking forward to checking it out!

Icicle, Pure24, Haig and 2 others like this.
  15. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Let's not pretend that Epic is somehow on our side, here. What Epic did was essentially bribe developers by taking a lower cut on sales, but then forcing games to be Epic-only. So, games that were already up for pre-sale and beta on Steam were suddenly taken away and put on the Epic store. In the end, this is what we all got:

1. Yet another client and yet another company collecting data from my computer with their spyware.
    2. Epic exclusives, which takes away my choice as a consumer.
    3. Games still cost the same as always.

So, who's really winning here? Certainly not me. Certainly not the people who had already pre-ordered a game on Steam or were otherwise waiting to play it, but then couldn't. Certainly not anyone but Epic, really.

Anyway, I'm not going to post about Epic again. It's off topic and I'd rather not argue about it, anyway.

DemonMaster, Elhoim and Hawke9 like this.
  16. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

First, I don't think that encouraging exclusivity in the PC platform is a good move no matter the store. Second, Epic doesn't have good regional prices, so for many people Steam is MUCH cheaper. Third, client performance is horrible. Fourth, some people just prefer to have their game library in a single place.

And this is coming from a developer working with UE4, and that we'll probably release our game in Epic Store as well as in GOG and Steam.

In any case, the game looks very interesting and I wish Soren all the best.

Casualty of war and Icicle like this.
  17. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Your choice is not taken away. You just use a different web client to play your game. And no one pre-ordered the game on Steam because it was never announced. No one even knew the title until yesterday.

If Epic weren't offering favorable deals to developers then developers wouldn't be taking them. This is how capitalism works.

Atlas627, nzcamel and Killer Rabbit like this.
  18. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Epic didn't take *this* game from Steam, but they took many others when they launched their platform. And, yes, they are taking away choice from consumers. I have to use Epic's client to play Old World or else I don't play Old World. That's much different from allowing me to choose between Epic, Origin, Steam, GOG, or some other platform.

I guess I'm glad that developers get to keep more of their sales, but I don't see how any of this benefits me. It's not like games are cheaper now that Valve isn't taking their cut.

I'm done, though. Back to the game itself before we all get the thread locked!

Elhoim likes this.
  19. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

It benefits you because since Epic provided Soren and co. the money they need, their game gets released instead of cancelled and we all have another game to play and a competitor to Civ.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

So basically they are bad because they're taking it to Steam? Well Steam sucks too, so . . .