1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soren Johnson's Old World

Discussion in 'Old World' started by Casworon, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

BTW, Dale one of the many things which annoys me about you is your tagline. Because you clearly don't want to bring happiness into another people's lives. You far prefer to laugh at them.

Just to bring the point out: your avatar is not about happiness either.

2. Athmos

Athmos Warlord

hey just calm down.

I'm glad he's not your employee, you just met the guy and first two interactions you threaten to fire him, take offense at a joke and even critisize him for his avatar, which is as caricatural an ad hominem attack as we can get over optical fibers.

talk about bringing hapiness...

Elhoim likes this.
  3. Dale

Dale Deity

Firstly, I apologise if my comment was in any way offensive. I was only trying to have a joke. My intent was not to laugh at people. But yes, I'm on the Old World team.

My avatar is a photo of me having a Sopwith Camel joy flight which was gifted to me from my family for my birthday. It was one of the happiest days of my life, spending time with my wife and kids, whilst having one of my dreams fulfilled (a Sopwith Camel flight).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    AbsintheRed, tedhebert and Elhoim like this.
  4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Ah, good point.

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

You can also try activating some options on your video card regarding antialiasing, instead of the ingame one.

6. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

@Dale
    Your reply was gracious and I accept your apology. Please accept mine too. I was stressed out last night and the way I worded things was way out of line.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

With modern technology even the exact same in-game settings are going to render differently on different systems depending on the power of their graphics hardware and CPU.

8. riddleofsteel

Yes, I'm well aware. Ryzen 2600X with 16gb of DDR4 and a GTX 1660ti, so I figured I was all set for requirements.

9. Dale

Dale Deity

You'll also find that the top level streamers get dedicated hardware from the PC manufacturers and game publishers, and custom built machines specifically for game and video streaming. And by the nature of streaming and video editing, you're much better off with a very high power graphical machine anyway, specially if your rendering video frames. So their machines do tend to put ours to shame.

riddleofsteel likes this.
  10. riddleofsteel

True!

11. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Can you say whether your comment means that antialiasing should be turned on, or off, on the video card; and then whether antialiasing should be turned on, or off, in the ingame one?

I will never know what antialiasing means and whether it's good or bad. (That's another suggestion - some games have mouseovers over graphics settings explaining what smtg means and you might want to do that in this game eventually.)

12. riddleofsteel

Anti-aliasing is an algorithm applied to video textures that smoothes out jagged edges on textures. It usually makes things look more crisp and detailed. If you disable anti-aliasing in Old World and force it on in your video cards control panel, say in Nvidia Settings, it might be more effective and slow things down less compared to using the game's built-in AA function.

Reckoner likes this.
  13. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Thank you!

14. rastak

rastak Emperor

That had to be cool Dale. You guys are doing a great job with the game and I for one appreceate it.

riddleofsteel and Dale like this.
  15. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Just FWIW, I don't know if others have been facing this but my latest game has had major performance lag issues around Turn 100 or so. I tried the trick of quitting when I see yellow text but the game still grinds to a standstill. This used to happen a few weeks ago; it got better and i was able to finish games, but now it seems to have gotten worse again.

16. Starwars

Starwars Prince

My problems usually start around turn 60-70 or so. That's when my games really starts to chug and I have to abandon them shortly after.

17. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

In my latest game it was at a standstill (7 ambitions out of 10, maybe around 125 turns?). But then miraculously, everything started running smoothly again until I beat it. At first i just thought my computer just can't handle it when there's so many units and cities but who knows.