1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

sorry for been elitist but....

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aspon, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aspon

Aspon Warlord

can we have some comment forums for immortal plus players only or something. I am aware that my way may not be the only way but it seems silly if people who play warlord difficulty are trying to give me advice or correct my strategy. as there are a lot of basic strats and ideas that work on the low difficulties which clearly would not work on the higher ones.

I just would be curious if some of the disagreements i receive from my posts are coming from people who play low level or high level. such comments as "china's UA is weak" yeh 15% boost for all units is in effect weak sure yeh.

just I know sometimes in the past immortal beaters have disagreed with some of my comments however a lot of the time its players who cannot beat king. now I don't mean to be harsh but if people cannot at least beat emperor they are not really qualified to give strategy advice.

2. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

Really dumb idea.
    How you wanna check who's immortal? They have to upload replays? What if they cheat, since this has been a huge problem for Civ4?

Also, the post makes you sound like a pretty major jackass, if your such a good player, why can't you easily filter out who's 'good' or not?
    And as far as Civ's strenghts go, everyone has their favourites, generally for reasons somewhere between liking the playstyle, general strength (ie: noone will ever go for Lizzy or Suli) and sentimentalism, saying Wu is weak might not be a fair statement but it's a damn forum, they're just as much entitled to their opinion as you are, instead of comming here whining you could try, y'know, actually discussing it.
    I'm sure there's some 'pro' chatbox on steam or whatever where you can chat with other elitist jerks who think they're too good to be in the same url as players below them.

Also, no mention of Deity? You can't even beat the hardest dificulty and it's already getting to your head?

3. tnavres

tnavres Chieftain

I agree. Nothing is worse than following a guide to improving your own game play, then realizing the author is playing on settler mode.

I don't offer strategies (currently playing on Emperor).

p.s. The moderators should also prune outdated threads and the players should post concise subject titles. "I need help," is not a good title. Better titles will help newer players find exactly what they are searching for.

4. chgrogers

chgrogers Prince

Disagree I don't like wanton censorship in a forum. There is a place for everything but telling a player your not good enough to post or comment does not breed discussion and they will go somewhere else to get better.

5. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

after spending some time in these forums you pretty much know whos posts are worth reading (like 5 guys) and whos not (like 995 guys).
    This ratio fits for general forum part - for strategy and mp section its better.

6. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

Ofcourse, the moment you see the word elitist you jump in to see if there are more people you can piss off by being pompous.

Moderator Action: Trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

If everyone just remembered to include the difficulty level in their posts either asking for or giving advice, that would pretty much solve the problem.

There's also the problem that it's impossible to ascertain the level of forum players.

8. torfish

torfish Chieftain

I agree with this. If you are giving advice or asking for it, you should be stating your level of play.

9. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Why put it in every post, you can set it in your profile (it shows in the 'about me' tab).

10. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

That's true, I forgot about that. I just had to go change mine it had been so long...lol.

It still makes sense to mention it though...it can't really hurt. I suspect most people would prefer to avoid the extra clicks as well.

11. Selous

Selous King

are you people being serious? have delusions about yourself?

the point of a forum such as this one is to provide a community hub for people to come for help and enjoyment, to share and disguss ideas and strats (and a bunch of other reasons)
    once apon a time, you to were also noob and i hope there was a place such as civ fanatics to help guide you in the right direction and gain much more fun out of the civ series

stop being elitst jerks and share your experience and wealth of knowledge with the new players rather than chastise them for being new

12. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I'm just going to make up the difficulty if that's what you want. And people who play on lower difficulties than I do are probably better than me either way. Also, you can ignore them if you like.

13. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

I'm an immortal player as well and to be honest, most players who actually think they know everything about the game think in absolutes only.

Like "this is the way to go and I don't accept alternatives". What's the point in discussing something when you already know your personal true answer? People who can think outside the box are just as important for a good discussion as people who, for example, focus on mathematical evidence.

Everybody has to learn the game at some point and during this time people might give false advice which is only human. So really, what's the problem? As an experienced player, you can easily tell if it's interesting to read or not anyway.

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: I can't see this thread going anywhere remotely productive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.