Sorry stupid Alpha Centauri question original game

Modeltrainman

Warlord
I have a question about Alpha Centauri, (the original game, not Alien Crossfire,) can the Firaxians be used in the original game? if so how? I don't have Alien Crossfire. Thanks

No. The Firaxians can only be used in Alien Crossfire.

Thanks for the help.

No problem. Merry Christmas. :D
Merry Christmas to you, one more question, did the Firaxians do anything super special or interesting, or am I not missing anything, with just Alpha Centauri and the Lord's Believers? I have to admit, I was pretty bummed to find out that you couldn't use them in AC. Oh well.

Merry Christmas to you, one more question, did the Firaxians do anything super special or interesting, or am I not missing anything, with just Alpha Centauri and the Lord's Believers? I have to admit, I was pretty bummed to find out that you couldn't use them in AC. Oh well.
Thanks, and they didn't really do anything. According to the Wikipedia page, it's really just a faction for the beginner, since they get singularity reactors at the beginning of the game and stuff.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas, to you and yours!

Modeltrainman,

If you could get the following files from Alien Crossfire: sid.flc, sid.pcx, sid.txt, sid2.pcx, sid3.pcx (or brian.flc, brian. pcx, brian.txt, brian2.pcx, brian3.pcx), you could play the firaxians.

You would have to put those files in your Alpha Centauri directory.

You would also have to modify your alpha.txt file under #FACTIONS by replacing one of the 7 factions with

SID, SID

If you can get those files, I would be willing to work with you to get it to work, but I would prefer to do it in the AC Creation forum at Apolyton.

Modifying the alpha.txt file is better discussed in that forum than here. And there would be other people with the necessary expertise there.

Provided you can get those files, I don't see any reason why you can't play the firaxians in the original game. The faction file sid.txt does not have any SMAX only characteristics.

There are some paragraphs at the end of sid.txt that only apply to SMAX

#ALIENFACTIONTRUCE and #ALIENFACTIONTREATY

but these were added to the original SMAC 7 for SMAX, so I'm sure they could be taken out so they are compatible with SMAC.

Modeltrainman,

If you could get the following files from Alien Crossfire: sid.flc, sid.pcx, sid.txt, sid2.pcx, sid3.pcx (or brian.flc, brian. pcx, brian.txt, brian2.pcx, brian3.pcx), you could play the firaxians.

You would have to put those files in your Alpha Centauri directory.

You would also have to modify your alpha.txt file under #FACTIONS by replacing one of the 7 factions with

SID, SID

If you can get those files, I would be willing to work with you to get it to work, but I would prefer to do it in the AC Creation forum at Apolyton.

Modifying the alpha.txt file is better discussed in that forum than here. And there would be other people with the necessary expertise there.

Provided you can get those files, I don't see any reason why you can't play the firaxians in the original game. The faction file sid.txt does not have any SMAX only characteristics.

There are some paragraphs at the end of sid.txt that only apply to SMAX

#ALIENFACTIONTRUCE and #ALIENFACTIONTREATY

but these were added to the original SMAC 7 for SMAX, so I'm sure they could be taken out so they are compatible with SMAC.
Thanks, but I don't want to do anything illegal, because I don't own SMAX.(That's what everybody here calls Alien Crossfire, right? Also, I don't have an account at Apolyton. Merry Christmas, Vyeh!

There is an implicit license for game modifications. What I have done is modify a SMAC gaian file (the firaxians are based on a SMAX gaian file) to perform the same way as the firaxians (same factional characteristics). Since this is well within the license granted by the makers of SMAC and I own a copy of SMAC, I am not violating any laws.

Since you own SMAC, you wouldn't be violating any laws to use this modified Gaian file in playing SMAC.

Between the license granted by the manufacturer to modify game files for personal use and copyright fair use, neither of us (nor civfanatics -- else they wouldn't host an extensive Civ IV modding forum) will be violating the law if you use the modified Gaian file to get the gameplay experience of the firaxians.

Consider this a Christmas present. By the way, accounts at Apolyton are free.

To encourage you to visit Apolyton, your present is under a tree in the AC Creation forum at Apolyton.

Top Bottom