Sorting Songs By Genre

How Do You Sort Your Songs By Genre?

• I don't sort my songs by genre.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I keep the default genre from where I got the music from.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I use only the broadest categories ("Rock", "Classical", "Pop")

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I use somewhat more specific categories ("Rock", "Metal", "Pop", "Classical", "Romantic")

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I use specific categories ("Progressive Rock", "Symphonic Metal", "Brit-Pop", "Late Classical")

• Other (explain below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have all my songs' genres as downtown.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am somewhat OCD about the genres my songs are listed as in iTunes. I would like to know how you determine the genres of songs in your iTunes or other music playing program and how specific you like to be. Thanks.

I keep the default genre and sort by artist, album, or playcount.

This could use an explanation for people who don't use itunes, never did and never will.

FWIW i sort my music in somewhat specific categories folders in my computer.

I use iTunes cause I'm not hip enough to use anything else, it's free, and it's also incredibly convenient. You probably end up putting more effort categorizing your music than me and I respect that. :)

Yeah, I don't worry about genres. Sorting by artists is the way to go. If I want something more specific, then that's what playlists are for, so I don't really see the need for more criteria.

I don't care too much about genres as the boundaries can be extremely blurred. Generally I just search by artist or album.

I have music sorted in my music folder by artist then by album. In Windows Media Player I do use specific genres. One time I did use more broad genre terms but then I offended someone by saying that some genres could be similar to others, so now I used more specific names.

alphabetical order by artist is the only way to go. anything else is just silly.

Same here - I don't pay any attention to the genre label that some software applies to my music. It's almost always wrong or too generic anyway, and I don't think in terms of genres anyway. The categories don't really exist as far as my music listening habits are concerned; I tend to think of music in terms of moods or emotions. If I want to listen to something upbeat and energetic, I might pick a bluegrass album, a dubstep tune, some classic rock, or a jazz standard. That's just me, though. :)

I don't use iTunes or any programs like that. I just stick all my music in a massive folder, sorted by artist, then by album.

I do use iTunes, I just disable the "Genre" column. I list by artist name first and album second.

Do you guys use random / shuffle at all? I just... can't, drives me nuts. My brother does all the time, so we'll hear Norah Jones and then Wu Tang Clan and then Metallica and then Simon & Garfunkel all in a row. And I like all those artists, but I don't want to hear them all that the same time.

I do use iTunes, I just disable the "Genre" column. I list by artist name first and album second.

Do you guys use random / shuffle at all? I just... can't, drives me nuts. My brother does all the time, so we'll hear Norah Jones and then Wu Tang Clan and then Metallica and then Simon & Garfunkel all in a row. And I like all those artists, but I don't want to hear them all that the same time.

I love shuffle on my ipod! Though, I can't do it often. Sometimes its just the thing I need when I cant decide on an artist. Nothing like hearing Sonny Rollins and then Rollins Band back to back by fluke.

I love shuffle on my ipod! Though, I can't do it often. Sometimes its just the thing I need when I cant decide on an artist. Nothing like hearing Sonny Rollins and then Rollins Band back to back by fluke.

HAHA, that's a nice combination eh?

I guess once in a very long while I actually can't decide what I want to listen to, and I do fall back on shuffle. But it's very, very rare. I almost always prefer to choose, and generally do listen to entire albums at a time, if I can. I do make mix playlists just for variety sometimes, and will play one of those rather than using shuffle.

With my brother, it's like everything is on shuffle by default. He just doesn't care. *shudder*

I don't use iTunes or any Appl€ products, I'll stick to my Microsoft and third party products, thank you very much. :smug: :self-righteous:

That being said, I arrange all my music into (roughly) broad genres, and then into more specific genres, usually depending on how many artists I've got to separate it from a broader grouping.

Sometimes (vary rarely now) I'll queue a lot of music up and shuffle it, although I have no set playlists for this, and I wouldn't dare do it for all the music I have!

This could use an explanation for people who don't use itunes, never did and never will.

FWIW i sort my music in somewhat specific categories folders in my computer.

Why would I need to listen to music in any other way? When I listen to music, I very seldom select out individual songs. I listen to music by albums, and so I really have no reason to do any sort of specialized sorting that other people here are talking about.

Top Bottom