1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorting Songs By Genre

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Huayna Capac357, Feb 16, 2011.

?

How Do You Sort Your Songs By Genre?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2013.
  1. I don't sort my songs by genre.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. I keep the default genre from where I got the music from.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. I use only the broadest categories ("Rock", "Classical", "Pop")

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. I use somewhat more specific categories ("Rock", "Metal", "Pop", "Classical", "Romantic")

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. I use specific categories ("Progressive Rock", "Symphonic Metal", "Brit-Pop", "Late Classical")

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Other (explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have all my songs' genres as downtown.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

I should have been clearer. I didn't mean for this to involve iTunes specifically or that much. I just used it as an example. This is mainly about genres. For example, this could also apply to how you talk about genres to people, like "x is a y band" or "z is an a song". Sorry to get iTunes confused into it.

2. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Genre segregation is pretty lame. Its way easier to classify music by influence than something as subjective as 'genre'.

3. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

To the people that listen to whole albums at once: do you usually skip over what you'd consider the weaker songs on the album? how do you sustain your interest in the band and not crave anything else while listening to it? (might just be my puny attention span speaking here)

4. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I don't skip. And I sustain my interest by listening to bands who make good albums (not songs, albums)

5. de Maistre

de Maistre Comte

I neither sort nor tag music by genre; it’s not an exact enough science for my taste. If I had to I would do it broadly because I’d rather not wade through every sub genre in existance, but, conversely, using “classical,” “rock,” and “pop” doesn’t sound very useful. If I'm desperate for music to match my mood I’ll make a playlist.

6. Cashie

Cashie King

so now Microsoft is the poor struggling company and Apple is the evil empire? :p

Back on topic, I don't sort by genre: I normally sort by artist/album/year or manually work play-lists with a free arrangement with a complicated anal-retentive rules which I regulate, because I have nothing better to do with my time.

7. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Playlists are the most common way I organize my own songs, too. It's very unusual for me to just shuffle all songs on my iPod.

8. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

By listening to bands that make great albums. :)

I do sometimes skip certain songs on an album, if they're just too slow / too fast / too anything for that particular moment in time. Like yesterday I was listening to a jazz record while I was at work, and one piece on that album is really out - a little too atonal for me to listen to while working, as it was just distracting. So I do skip occasionally, but rarely because I just plain dislike the song.

9. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

This. Also, I make sure the songs are playing in proper order.

10. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Yeah. There is too many ambiguos songs in my library that fit into more than one genre.

How many genres are enough anyway?

And I also use playlists. It's a lot easier than to sort by genre. I have work out playlists, relaxing, driving, etc.

11. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

I stopped trusting itunes genre-labeling decisions when I bought The Stooges' Raw Power, and it was listed as pop.

And I make playlists that have more to do with the mood than genre.

12. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

What do you guys make playlists based on?

13. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I base them on activities I do while listening to music. A work out mix, a homework mix, a party mix, mix for when I drive, etc.

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I don't make playlists.

15. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

This. I only have one playlist, and that is a playlist full of my more popular music for barbecues and such.

16. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I don't have an i pod but I have over 4000 CD's and about 600 vinyl records ( mostly of stuff I can't replace as it's not out on CD. ( puffs out chest ;))

Definitely sorted by genre and I reckon I could find any given album in 15 seconds

17. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

I don't see the point of sorting by genre.

I use shuffle all the time - in fact when I listen to music on the iPod I almost always set it to shuffle, and then just skip through things I don't want to listen to until I get to something I do. This is because I rarely have anything particular I want to listen to. Music is just background for me - I never listen to it "actively" - so sticking it on shuffle is generally just right for me.

18. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I'm surprised given your wealth of knowledge and general passion for music that you don't actively listen ? Please explain ? You don't strike me as someone who views music as background

19. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

I don't really have a passion for music at all. In fact I don't really care much for music in general - I have a very bad ear, find it hard to distinguish between notes, and have great difficulty picking out individual sounds from the general noise (which is one reason I don't like bars). I almost never go to gigs or concerts or anything of that kind, I don't watch TV programmes that revolve around singing competitions, and one of the main reasons I gave up going to church was that I hated the hymns so much. I do like the blues and related music such as early rock and roll. It's hard to explain why, given my general antipathy towards music in general. I think that much, though not all, of what I like about it is the stories and the atmosphere. I certainly like watching it, because that adds a whole extra dimension, and I like to have it on while walking about or while performing some repetitive task or perhaps while sitting on the train, as long as the background noise isn't too high, but I almost never just sit down at home and actively listen to it. I think I used to more when I was younger, though.

I often put on music when I'm working, but never blues or anything like that - I would find it far too distracting. I always put on ambient music of some kind.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

This actually shows that you do have a passion for music ;)

Great to see there are still people who prefer listening to whole albums - a good album has a dramaturgy to it that mustn't be destroyed. Bands who compose excuse songs for an album around one good single are bad musicians.