Sounds of Silence(Combat)

Scouse

Chieftain
I got Civ3 a little while back. Everything seems to be okay, except for the sound effects..... I get all the pre and post fight noises from units, but there's only silence during the second or two of actual combat - I can see smoke from cannon and rifles, see recoil etc, see swords slash and all that, but all in silence.. but then sound returns as units fall (aargh) ships sink (creak-spadoosh) artillery shells land (boom)....... you get the picture!!!!
I posted this query on the general Civ3 support forum, and got the sensible advice to try a re-install. And I did, but the result was the same - no combat sounds. I've examined some of the games in conquests, too, but find the same result.
I'm running Civ3 on a G4 Powerbook, and all other aspects of the game appear to be fine.
Has anyone out there experienced the same thing? I guess I'll have to try Aspyr if there's no luck here.

Download it here and run it to update your copy of Civ3 Complete. I don't know whether it will fix your specific problem, but it does sort out several others.

As a general rule, check with the publishers' web sites to see if there are updates whenever you buy a "new" piece of software, as CDs sit on vendors' shelves gathering dust, and the software publishers don't re-burn them very often.

Download it here and run it to update your copy of Civ3 Complete. I don't know whether it will fix your specific problem, but it does sort out several others.

Okay... thanks for that, Al. I got the patch downloaded and installed. It worked to a small extent.... I got the sounds of ships exchanging gunfire, and artillery pieces, cannons and so on - but, still silence when individual 'human' units engage - from spearchuckers to machinegunners.
Some odd things with the patch.... in a city's 'build' panel, it now takes some 5-6 seconds for a response from the screen after making a build selection... that's a bit tedious!
Also, unit movement on the screen was noticeably 'sticky'... and by the time a game got to around 1000AD, it was getting much
'stickier' and rather annoying.
All in all, the small advantage gained from the patch just wasn't worth the extra problems it brought with it, so I dumped the lot and reinstalled the original game.
Thanks for the try, anyhoo.... maybe I'll ask Aspyr, and see if they're got any clues (it does seem a weird problem to have).

Top Bottom