1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soundtrack Revisions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Praetyre, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Praetyre

Praetyre King

I have made a few edits to the Civ4EraInfos file to rearrange the soundtracks of the early and late eras so that each era is truly unique in it's tracks, and that certain tracks better fitted to certain eras (ambience, bone instruments and chanting for Prehistoric, drums and wooden instruments for Ancient and horns and Greco-Roman instruments for Classical) were confined to those eras. It is a solely cosmetic change, but one that I feel greatly adds to the atmosphere of each era, and should have zero compatibility issues with any mod that doesn't directly alter that file. Would anyone wish to see this in the SVNs?

Secondly, I've a huge (600+ files) collection of mp3s I use for my C2C sessions, and a somewhat smaller (180 or so files) selection of those, and I'd be willing to trim them down to the reused Civ tracks (about 20 files) for public release if there's enough interest.

2. LumenAngel

LumenAngel King

I didnt change a lot actual track.
    Just add Forest of the Nopon - Xenoblade for ancient Era an Fire Field - F ZERO for Modern Era

But I m always intereted by more, even if some music can be too peaceful when you are in full war or too war-like when you are in peace ^^'

3. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Feel free to submit the era info file changes to the SVN.

For the collections: I'd say make that a music pack (or some of different size) which is downloaded separately from the main C2C download and then unzipped into the C2C folder. If they get unzipped into the PrehistoricNew and similar soundtrack folders then the MusicUpdate mod will integrate them properly into the era info file and the packs should stay compatible to different C2C versions.

4. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I loathe the early eras' music, but I always become really happy when I hit modern era as my head starts bopping away :D

5. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I'm the exact opposite, the early music brings me so much nostalgia. Please don't mess with it.

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Best thing to do, because MP3 takes up ALOT of room, and i mean ALOT. Make it a separate d/l for those that want it in the modmod area. Just like FfH2 and others have done already in the past.

I remember when Afforess put the Sim stuff in his mod, i got rid of them and FAST, i couldn't stand those sounds at all.

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I personally think the SVN should have all the extra tracks while the semi-monthly releases could have them as an optional supplement download.

8. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

No problem then as long as YOU maintain it then, hows that?:rolleyes::mischief:

9. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Ha! Nice try. :p Praetyre should do it. :p

10. Praetyre

Praetyre King

I've pushed the new track arrangement to the SVN; doubtless AstralPhaser will make a good testbed for how fitting the tracks are now. Now to get to producing a version of my mp3 files that only has royalty free and preexisting-in-Civ4-files music...

11. 12padams

12padams Prince

Awesome!!!! (I'm AstralPhaser for those that don't know)
    I've currently got the background music very low so I'll be sure to turn it up and point out how each era has a different "era themed" music. So does the music change once you have searched the first tech of a new era? E.g. Sedentary lifestyle?

Also is it one music track for each era or is it a group of different tracks for each era? I just wanna make sure I understand it so I can explain it properly because I'll be recording my next episode very soon ;)

12. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Yes, switching eras immediately skips the time between track delays and loads up the first song on thar era's playlist. What I've done is take the tracks already referenced in C2C and rearrange them so that each era has music that is both unique and fitting. There are at least 5 tracks per era, and much more than that in later eras (though I left those largely untouched). With the lite version of my soundtrack pack (still in uploading), you'll have 21 tracks total for the Prehistoric era alone.

13. Praetyre

Praetyre King

14. 12padams

12padams Prince

Nice timing... I was literally just loading up the game to start the next episode but I will install this first ;)

Edit: just confirming... This replaces all the current sound tracks? Because all the current folders are now empty and the new files (e.g. Prehistoricnew) have mp3s in them.

15. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Great.

Here are the installation instructions:
    1. Unzip the downloaded file into your Mods folder
    2. Start C2C and load any game or start a new one (this starts a music installation script)
    3. Restart C2C (the new music is now properly included)

16. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Those instructions are indeed correct. The tracks will not replace all of your current tracks, but add to them, with my SVN's era's file being the base for these new additions.

17. 12padams

12padams Prince

Ok I've recorded episode 4 now and it's got the music I downloaded and installed from here. Unfortunately it won't be up until a whole 12 hours from now since I need to go to bed, wake up, edit out the turns then upload it. I wasn't the best critic so I told the viewers to leave comments of their opinion of your prehistoric music which plays throughout the whole episode.

18. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

will it stay updated after each svn overwrite?

19. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I suggest adding them to your local SVN copy. Then SVN update will merge the files.

20. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Do you mean just unzip in my SVN copy?