1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Source for Minor City-states

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Chris Stalis, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Chris Stalis

Chris Stalis Chieftain

So, everyone and their brother has an opinion about the list of civs that is going to be in Civ5, but I'm curious what these "minor factions" are going to be. Who counts as a minor? Is it going to just be city names taken from the majors that don't roll in on the civilization stage? Or... will Zululand appear as a single city entity and demand you start handing over all your spices :rolleyes:

Personally, I think it'd be cooler if Switzerland were added in so that you had a reasonably good idea of "don't shoot them, and they'll be nice to you" or whatever than if you suddenly encountered Chicago all by its lonesome, and started to make a check list of who WASN'T a major concern because you'd already found them as a minor power. It also means minor powers wouldn't be a limited list or that you'd have constant repeats of minor cities (Chicago and New York both claim to be Americans, but they don't recognize each other as being related... riiiiiiight).

If we assumed that the minors can be anyone not on the Big 18... who would you want to see as a minor power, and what sort of mission do you think they'd have you to do earn their trust?

2. snapple232

snapple232 Warlord

Singapore has been confirmed as one of the city-states. So presumably they'll all be states that have had some historical impact, but not enough to be counted as a civilization in their own right.

3. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Then again, I believe Rio de Janeiro was as well, so it appears to be a mix of important city-states (Florence and Sidon are confirmed) and important cities of states that aren't going to make it as civs.

5. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Well Singapore was and remains a city-state.

6. Theon

Theon Chieftain

I'd say city states are basically prominent/historical cities that do not belong to any of the currently playable civilizations, and probably wont be part of any future civs(Having Babylon as a city state would not allow the Babylonians as a playable civ in an addon, unless they change it).

What interests me the most is that all city states grant certain bonuses to their friends and allies. I hope these bonuses would be linked to their historical past.

Here is a list of city states I would like to see and their specialty, which determines the kind of bonus they would grant.

Confirmed city states:
    Singapore - Commerce
    Rio de Janeiro - Population growth(health? I dunno)
    Budapest - Science
    Florence - Culture
    Venice - Trade routes

City states I'd like to see:
    Geneva - Diplomacy
    Bruges - Commerce
    Troy - Military(?)
    Milan - Production
    Luxembourgh - Gold(interest on gold reserves)
    Dubai - dunno really :p
    Vatican City - Culture
    Jericho - Health
    Cape Town - Trade routes
    Brussels - Diplomacy
    Taipei - Commerce
    etc.

It's tough to think of cities that were notable mostly for a single aspect, since they nearly always belong to a playable civilization(Athens - Science or Sparta - Military for example)

7. CivX

CivX Chieftain

Jamaica - culture
    Vietnam - military

coool

8. Erufailon

Erufailon Chieftain

Of course, this feature will make for interesting mods, assuming you can place city states non-randomly that is...

9. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Kingston - offers cocaine and hit music resource !

10. Willem

Willem Deity

You might want to qualify that with Kingston Jamaica. Kingston Canada isn't nearly as interesting. Unless you're really into maximum security prisons.

11. Herrhals

Herrhals Warlord

it just so happens...I am!

12. Swashbuckler.

Swashbuckler. Chieftain

I think Jerusalem will be city state.

13. GigaNerd

GigaNerd His Nerdiness

My big guesses are Havana, Prague, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Jakarta, Jerusalem, Nairobi, Mexico City, Kathmandu, Warsaw, and Bangkok. :goodjob:

14. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

That would be interesting. Perhaps the inclusion of (some) Holy Cities as city states could go some way towards making up for the absense of religion?

15. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

Then they should add in Poland right? I mean, that would be a great idea :mischief:

16. Erufailon

Erufailon Chieftain

Sounds good to me. You invade Poland only to have it reemerge a hundred years later... three times!:crazyeye:

17. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

Yeah Warsaw would be an interesting one.Either strong culture or somekind of ability to make alliances easier to attain with allies.Alliance at pleased instead of friendly?

Poland did have many allainces throughout its history.

18. Momma Birdflu

Momma Birdflu Chieftain

I want to see Monaco, San Marino and Honolulu.

19. Erufailon

Erufailon Chieftain

I'd like to see some Mesopotamian city states, like Uruk, but I like the idea of having small countries (like Panama) represented by city states

20. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

ok so here is the deal, i think jerusalem should be in here, what city is more controversial in the world than jerusalem? if the people in charge are reading this than i gotta tell you, besides it being part of the roman empire ive never seen jerusalem in any civ games and its really ridiculous, so... put the damn city in there.