South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the legal restrictions on them are gone. If they can afford to live in a nice house in a neighborhood that used to be White, they can. There's no one stopping them anymore.
Apparently me repeating myself doesn't lead to any new breakthroughs :D

You don't understand it, that's not my problem. You can declare it over as much as you want, but your opinion is ultimately misinformed.

ANC is cancer they need to go but will win anyway.

Rather than seize land they should probably use a combination of higher taxes and things like inheritance tax to break it up.

That would require a government that's not corrupt as hell though.

South Africa is the setting of one of my favorite books of all time, The Power of One.

Please don't watch the movie version though, they make it about a chick (added stupid love story sideplot)

Apartheid killed ~500 people a year, it doesn't remotely compare to things like Nazism, Communism, etc...
Death comes one to each of us. Is someone who dies by violence any more or less dead than someone else who dies by violence in a different setting? The answer is either yes or no.

Because you are so unique that nobody else can understand anything about you. I have a couple relatives with similar views to you. I am as appalled by their views as they are by mine. Most of my friends share my views. I don't need the right to "'splain" your mother to you. You are not in any position of authority over me, you cannot tell me what I can and cannot do.
Actually, I am a rather unique sort of person, or so some have told me. And yeah, some of these people find me hard to understand because they've lived a kind of life I have no experience with, and vice-versa.

As for you being appalled by your relatives whose views are similar to mine, I'm not surprised. You appear appalled by anything that smacks of treating everyone with decency and respect.

As for my mother... she died 8 years ago. I do not miss her, but the point is that she was MY mother. Not yours. There are things about her I've never mentioned here, and I've been more open about my life on this forum than anywhere else online. Do NOT presume to 'splain her to me because you lack the information and the life experience to even begin to understand.

I merely extrapolated from my own experience in having relatives who believe in leftist ideas. It's not your place to tell me what I can and cannot do, say, or type. I'm not a child, and I'm definitely not your child.
Translation: "You're not my mom!" p~~~~~~~~~!

Should I be impressed? :rolleyes:

So I was one year off. Big deal.
No, you made an assumption without gathering freely available facts, made erroneous assumptions, and proceeded to pontificate about the elderly - a demographic you obviously have little familiarity with. I was raised by my grandparents, so I know first-hand that any "grand-generation", whether it's grandparents or great-aunts/uncles, are simply individuals who have lived longer and have more years of life experience. Age doesn't necessarily grant wisdom, but it does grant experience.

William Shatner's hair was fake. He wore a toupee.
So what? The point I made was that my grandfather didn't realize that when he was ranting about how awful Jews were, he was including one of his favorite actors in that condemnation. Shatner's hair has zip-all to do with this. How shallow.

In the immortal words of Queen Victoria, "We are not amused."
Frankly, I don't give a damn if you're amused or not. I guess my explanation was too hard to follow? I've noticed that about a lot of right-wing supporters. Connecting the dots isn't their forte.

You arguing with someone 3+ decades younger than you who lives halfway around the world on the internet?
Do you get the impression that most of us here actually care how old our fellow forum members are? There are some very smart people here who started out on this forum as young teenagers and I would never have taken them for being 15-16 years old if they hadn't told me. There is enough of a span of years in people's ages on this forum to account for about 4 generations. Nobody asks "how old are you" before deciding whether or not the other person is worth talking to.

Well, almost nobody. I did infract someone one time, years ago, who threw a fit because he thought I was a teenage mod on a power trip and was livid that I had the bad manners to address him by his username. He demanded, based on his age, that I call him "Sir."

Well, I checked his profile and nearly fell off my chair laughing. I replied that he should have checked my profile before going off on his rant, because I'm a year older. So if he wants me to call him "Sir" then he'd better address me as "Ma'am."

There's a difference between being hip and needing a hip replacement.
I could make a comment using the word "obnoxious" but it would probably cross a line, so I won't. You get the point, though, right?

Their cultures were incredibly primitive and unfit for the civilized world, but Macdonald and Langevin saw the valuable person underneath that and wanted to save the person, civilize them, and enable them to live happy, functional, productive, and modern lives. Several assimilated Amerindians went on to do great things...Charles Curtis became the Vice President of the USA in the 1920s, at the same time, Will Rodgers was the highest paid entertainer. He even came to South Africa, where he was treated as an equal.
bs-flag.gif

This is so much utter baloney. There were no good intentions involved. The indigenous people were seen as a problem. That was true in the 1860s, and there are politicians who still see them as a problem. Some of them flatly deny the evidence that's plain for everyone to see.

Do you think that because some were able to excel in various fields (politics, entertainment, etc.) that this made the atrocities okay?

It's not like we didn't have residential school survivors who did well later on - thanks to Elijah Harper, Lyin' Brian's Meech Lake Accord didn't go forward. He refused to allow unanimous consent in the Manitoba legislature, and that was enough. But Elijah Harper also attended residential school and had lifelong consequences of that. His life was not easy.

The goal (assimilating them to Western culture) was noble, even if the methods weren't always noble.
Kidnapping children from their loving families and selling them is never "noble."

I'm not Catholic. I don't care what Pope Francis says. He has no authority over me.
You both claim to follow Jesus/God. It took years of lobbying to get Francis to get off his entitled backside to come to Canada to formally apologize, but he finally did. One of the big questions was whether or not he would recognize the Catholic church's actions as a cultural genocide. He finally did.

There were unfortunate excesses, yes, but the goal was a noble one that should never have been abandoned.
OM🤬G. SERIOUSLY?

You think those places should STILL exist?

The last one closed in 1996. That's not even 30 years ago. Just what is it about the indigenous people of Canada that you find so "primitive" that you think they still need to be rounded up, kidnapped from their families, and imprisoned in these places to "civilize" them?

The idea that the Residential Schools were a noble idea is pure, unadulterated and utterly rotten white supremacism. The Residential Schools were a cultural genocide, and defending them is defending genocide.

Last edited:
It's well known that having your power to have others below you taken away is the worst form of oppression there is.

I have a couple relatives with similar views to you. I am as appalled by their views as they are by mine.
When they contain Alt-right and white supremacst talking points, it’s no surprise your relatives are appalled by your views.

God forbid you treat people like human beings with dignity and respect.
I merely extrapolated from my own experience in having relatives who believe in leftist ideas. It's not your place to tell me what I can and cannot do, say, or type. I'm not a child, and I'm definitely not your child.
Then don’t be supprised that you become a social pariah around these boards. If you want to make yourself a laughingstock of the forum, go right ahead. You claim that you’re not a child, however the tone of your posts says otherwise.
You arguing with someone 3+ decades younger than you who lives halfway around the world on the internet?
No one gives a damn.
I'm not Catholic. I don't care what Pope Francis says. He has no authority over me.
“I’m a Christian, but I don’t care what that other Christian said. My way is better!”

Trolling and Advocating Inappropriate Activities.
Apparently me repeating myself doesn't lead to any new breakthroughs :D

You don't understand it, that's not my problem. You can declare it over as much as you want, but your opinion is ultimately misinformed.
All of the apartheid laws were repealed in the 90s.
ANC is cancer they need to go but will win anyway.

Rather than seize land they should probably use a combination of higher taxes and things like inheritance tax to break it up.

That would require a government that's not corrupt as hell though.
The ANC is kind of like forcing yourself to vomit when you ate something poisonous...unpleasant, and bad for you, but far better than the most likely alternative. (I never voted for the ANC, though, but they are better than the EFF).
Death comes one to each of us. Is someone who dies by violence any more or less dead than someone else who dies by violence in a different setting? The answer is either yes or no.
Someone who kills 20 people is worse than someone who kills 2.
Actually, I am a rather unique sort of person, or so some have told me. And yeah, some of these people find me hard to understand because they've lived a kind of life I have no experience with, and vice-versa.
You are not so unique that no one else could possibly understand you, or "'splain" anything to you.
As for you being appalled by your relatives whose views are similar to mine, I'm not surprised. You appear appalled by anything that smacks of treating everyone with decency and respect.
Why should we respect them if they don't respect us?
As for my mother... she died 8 years ago. I do not miss her, but the point is that she was MY mother. Not yours. There are things about her I've never mentioned here, and I've been more open about my life on this forum than anywhere else online. Do NOT presume to 'splain her to me because you lack the information and the life experience to even begin to understand.
I know what it's like to be a right-winger with leftist relatives. That's all I needed to know to make the assumption (which even you admitted was mostly accurate) that your mother was unhappy with your worldview. Once again, you aren't so special that no one else can even "begin to understand" you. You've met your match in me, D'Ur, and I'm less than half your age.
Translation: "You're not my mom!" p~~~~~~~~~!

Should I be impressed? :rolleyes:
You're just embarrassed that you were defeated in an online argument by someone young enough to be your son.
No, you made an assumption without gathering freely available facts, made erroneous assumptions, and proceeded to pontificate about the elderly - a demographic you obviously have little familiarity with. I was raised by my grandparents, so I know first-hand that any "grand-generation", whether it's grandparents or great-aunts/uncles, are simply individuals who have lived longer and have more years of life experience. Age doesn't necessarily grant wisdom, but it does grant experience.
I still have two living grandparents, so yes, I am familiar with the elderly.
So what? The point I made was that my grandfather didn't realize that when he was ranting about how awful Jews were, he was including one of his favorite actors in that condemnation. Shatner's hair has zip-all to do with this. How shallow.
When did I ever say anything against Jews? In fact, I have praised Israel for being an outpost of Western civilization in the Middle East...a "villa in the jungle", as Ehud Barak once said.
Frankly, I don't give a damn if you're amused or not. I guess my explanation was too hard to follow? I've noticed that about a lot of right-wing supporters. Connecting the dots isn't their forte.
Actually, I have a very high IQ.
Do you get the impression that most of us here actually care how old our fellow forum members are? There are some very smart people here who started out on this forum as young teenagers and I would never have taken them for being 15-16 years old if they hadn't told me. There is enough of a span of years in people's ages on this forum to account for about 4 generations. Nobody asks "how old are you" before deciding whether or not the other person is worth talking to.
Well, I am not a teenager...if I was, I would have said that you were old enough to be my grandmother instead of merely old enough to be my mother.
Well, almost nobody. I did infract someone one time, years ago, who threw a fit because he thought I was a teenage mod on a power trip and was livid that I had the bad manners to address him by his username. He demanded, based on his age, that I call him "Sir."

Well, I checked his profile and nearly fell off my chair laughing. I replied that he should have checked my profile before going off on his rant, because I'm a year older. So if he wants me to call him "Sir" then he'd better address me as "Ma'am."
I think I would be a very good mod, maybe some day I can achieve that status.
I could make a comment using the word "obnoxious" but it would probably cross a line, so I won't. You get the point, though, right?
Many of your comments remind me of an unsharpened pencil in that they have no point to them.
Thanks for finally admitting what your posts are.
This is so much utter baloney. There were no good intentions involved. The indigenous people were seen as a problem. That was true in the 1860s, and there are politicians who still see them as a problem. Some of them flatly deny the evidence that's plain for everyone to see.
Their primitive culture and obstinate desire to remain tribal was a problem. The people themselves weren't.
Do you think that because some were able to excel in various fields (politics, entertainment, etc.) that this made the atrocities okay?
I think that because it reduced the amount of tribal culture, it was a positive good.
It's not like we didn't have residential school survivors who did well later on - thanks to Elijah Harper, Lyin' Brian's Meech Lake Accord didn't go forward. He refused to allow unanimous consent in the Manitoba legislature, and that was enough. But Elijah Harper also attended residential school and had lifelong consequences of that. His life was not easy.
I had to google him. He still achieved more than he would have as a hunter-gatherer living a tribal lifestyle.
Kidnapping children from their loving families and selling them is never "noble."
Had the parents embraced Western culture, there would have been no need to separate them from their children.
You both claim to follow Jesus/God. It took years of lobbying to get Francis to get off his entitled backside to come to Canada to formally apologize, but he finally did. One of the big questions was whether or not he would recognize the Catholic church's actions as a cultural genocide. He finally did.
Part of the reason I have no respect for him. He shouldn't have caved.
OM🤬G. SERIOUSLY?

You think those places should STILL exist?

The last one closed in 1996. That's not even 30 years ago. Just what is it about the indigenous people of Canada that you find so "primitive" that you think they still need to be rounded up, kidnapped from their families, and imprisoned in these places to "civilize" them?
Once all the Amerindian languages, cultures, cults, etc...were gone and the Amerindian descendants were all assimilated, the schools would no longer serve a purpose.
The idea that the Residential Schools were a noble idea is pure, unadulterated and utterly rotten white supremacism. The Residential Schools were a cultural genocide, and defending them is defending genocide.
There's no such thing as "cultural genocide". Genocide is the mass murder of an ethnic group, and using it metaphorically to describe assimilation cheapens the term and insults victims of ACTUAL genocides.
So to sum up:
White South Africans: we used to own everything and could do whatever we wanted. Now, there are some things we can't do. Waaahhh!
Non-white South Africans: we still don't have much of anything and still don't have access to the white economy.
There are very wealthy non-Whites in South Africa, such as the Gupta family.
It's well known that having your power to have others below you taken away is the worst form of oppression there is.
Ask Inspector Javert how it felt to owe his life to the escaped convict Jean Valjean.
When they contain Alt-right and white supremacst talking points, it’s no surprise your relatives are appalled by your views.
I have said many times that I am not a white supremacist.
God forbid you treat people like human beings with dignity and respect.
Respect's not given, it's earned.
Then don’t be supprised that you become a social pariah around these boards. If you want to make yourself a laughingstock of the forum, go right ahead. You claim that you’re not a child, however the tone of your posts says otherwise.
I am not a child (12 or younger) or a minor (17 or younger). I am not even a teenager (13-19). I am in my 20s.
No one gives a damn.
OK Boomer.
“I’m a Christian, but I don’t care what that other Christian said. My way is better!”
Catholicism is a syncretic religion that combines Christianity and Paganism.

Rafael Lemkin, the Polish man of Jewish origin who coined the term genocide in 1944 created the concept refer to deliberately wiping out a people *as a people* (that is to say, ending their existence as a distinct group or people), not limited to the murder of the individuals who make up the group.

And that's what's written in International law, where forcibly removing children from their group with the intent to end the group is explicitly listed as a form of genocide in both the United Nations Statute on Genocide and the Rome Statute. The term "Cultural Genocide" is also what the Chief Justice of the Canadian Supreme Court herself labeled the Residential school.

All of these are more competent than you at defining genocide . The last is pretty much the final authority on whether or not something is a genocide in Canada.

Just because popular culture has fixated on one specific form of genocide, doesn't mean it's the only one that exists, and the Residential Schools were very much a genocide.

Last edited:
Rafael Lemkin, the Polish man of Jewish origin who coined the term genocide in 1944 created the concept refer to deliberately wiping out a people *as a people* (that is to say, ending their existence as a distinct group or people), not limited to the murder of the individuals who make up the group.

And that's what's written in International law, where forcibly removing children from their group with the intend to end the group is explicitly is explicitly listed as a form of genocide in both the United Nations Statute on Genocide and the Rome Statute.

Just because popular culture has fixated on one specific form of genocide, doesn't mean it's the only one that exists, and the Residential Schools were very much a genocide.
I don't care what Lemkin said. Lemkin sounds like Lemmiwinks, anyway.

You do not know better than the man who invented the term.
You do not know better than the people who wrote the term into international law.
You do not know better than the Supreme judician authority of Canada who stated the term applies to residential schools.

Their voices speak with a million time the authority and strength of yours.

But I suppose you mocking the name of Jewish man is par for the course for this thread. And others.,

Who are you to decide that?

You seem to see your opinion as god even more than your average interneter.
Because Westernization is the best thing that could happen to Iron Age/Stone Age tribesmen.

You do not know better than the man who invented the term.
Anyone can invent a term.
You do not know better than the people who wrote the term into international law.
International law has had an anti-Western bias for decades.
You do not know better than the Supreme judician authority of Canada who stated the term applies to residential schools.
The Canadian government has been taken over by SJWs.
Their voices speak with a million time the authority and strength of yours.
My voice speaks with a million times the authority and strength of yours.

Moderator Action: No, your voice does not speak with any more authority than anyone else. Please stop trolling. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Your voice does proclaim who you are far more loudly than I ever could.

You've met your match in me, D'Ur, and I'm less than half your age.
#Savage

Anyhow, let's talk about how South Africa was defeated at Cuito Cuanavale.
Or South Africa's nuclear weapon program.
Unlike Canada, those are on topic.

"You won't let me express my bigotry toward the people I hate! You're PERSECUTING MEEEEEE! :cry: "

said every bigot who fussed over a cake, a marriage license for a same-sex couple, funding over LGBT-intolerant youth summer camps, Adriana LaGrange when 95% of the school boards in this province refused to pilot her curriculum that among other things contains egregiously erroneous information about indigenous people, and now whining over the consequences of colonialism in South Africa.

It's a fortunate thing that CFC's ways are more tolerant. The conversation would never have gotten this long on a lot of other sites. One of the TrekBBS mods (another Canadian) was flabbergasted when I mentioned it in the Canadian politics thread.

Someone who kills 20 people is worse than someone who kills 2.
WHOOSH!

You are not so unique that no one else could possibly understand you, or "'splain" anything to you.
I'd ask if you understood how rude and sexist that is, but you obviously don't. The family life I had resulted in putting me very out of step with most of my age-peers in a number of important ways.

Why should we respect them if they don't respect us?
You don't appear to be earning much respect here. In fact, I've yet to see anyone supporting your revolting worldview, or even your treatment of fellow forum members - who did accord you the courtesy of interacting with you.

I know what it's like to be a right-winger with leftist relatives. That's all I needed to know to make the assumption (which even you admitted was mostly accurate) that your mother was unhappy with your worldview. Once again, you aren't so special that no one else can even "begin to understand" you. You've met your match in me, D'Ur, and I'm less than half your age.
:lol:

:lmao:

:rotfl:

OMG, you are so full of yourself! No, you don't get to presume that you understand me or my family. My mother did have her good points as well, though she had a way of doing a 180-degree turn on a dime between being pleasant and being verbally abusive when I was older and physically abusive when I was a child. That's why I've said my parents' divorce was the best thing that could have happened and I didn't have to live under her roof anymore.

Ooh, you're last-naming me? Wow, how tough you are! How wonderfully masculine! How powerful! :bowdown:

:lol:

How juvenile! :rotfl:

If you can't be bothered with my full name, everyone here calls me "Valka". But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with my name being tainted by your filthy keyboard, so maybe you should just call me "Ma'am". Seeing as how I'm so much older than you.

You're just embarrassed that you were defeated in an online argument by someone young enough to be your son.
LOL. What a revolting idea.

Smarter people than you have tried to defeat me over the years, either in threads or by other behaviors that at times made life here a bit on the hellish side. Guess what - either they left voluntarily, were permabanned, or gave up, and I'm still here. I will continue to be here, long after you're gone.

I still have two living grandparents, so yes, I am familiar with the elderly.
I get the impression that you don't have much respect for either them or their age group, though, do you. There's a difference between occasional visits and living with them every day for many years, interacting not only with them but also their age-peers. People my age thought it weird to live with my grandparents and couldn't understand why I myself didn't hate it. Well, it wasn't perfect (I've mentioned the bigoted, patriarchal views of my grandfather), but it was better than wondering every day if my mother was going to hit me, or make some nasty comments intended to hurt.

Oh, well. I guess I have to consider the above paragraph to be typing practice, as you couldn't possibly understand it.

When did I ever say anything against Jews? In fact, I have praised Israel for being an outpost of Western civilization in the Middle East...a "villa in the jungle", as Ehud Barak once said.
I was talking about my grandfather, not you. You were on a pointless side-tangent about William Shatner's hair. Try to keep up.

Actually, I have a very high IQ.
It's not that high if you have to stand on a chair to reach it.

Well, I am not a teenager...if I was, I would have said that you were old enough to be my grandmother instead of merely old enough to be my mother.
Some years ago, one of the guys on the forum who was in his late teens at the time paid me a compliment. He said that I would have been a cool mom for teenage kids to have because I never condescended to the younger members here and I never lost my sense of humor. I don't consider gaming to be something only kids do, and I don't think I know everything just because my college years are long behind me.

As for grandmothers... some grandmothers are cool. The one I lived with was. Some of her friends were. A couple of them were like honorary grandmothers to me.

As for you not being a teenager... yeah, I've been mentally revising your age a couple of times over the course of these two threads you've been part of. Are you sure you don't need your parents' permission to register here? Is COPPA still a thing for forums?

I think I would be a very good mod, maybe some day I can achieve that status.

You haven't noticed that multiple active moderators have been reading and posting in this and the other threads you've been in?

Maybe on some white supremacist site that you start yourself. You don't have what it takes here.

Many of your comments remind me of an unsharpened pencil in that they have no point to them.

Thanks for finally admitting what your posts are.
Based on the number of likes received, it would seem that there are other people who get my points just fine.

Their primitive culture and obstinate desire to remain tribal was a problem. The people themselves weren't.

I think that because it reduced the amount of tribal culture, it was a positive good.
Why was it a problem? "Primitive" is a relative term, btw, or so my anthropology instructor told us in college. A major part of the courses I took focused on the North American indigenous peoples, and the fact is that they had every basic thing we have, though at a lower technological level.

And it's actually hilarious to see you pontificate about tribal culture being a bad thing, because your insistence on marrying someone like you is a basic trait of tribal culture.

(good luck with that, btw; I think you'll be single for a very long time unless you find someone willing to be your doormat)

I had to google him. He still achieved more than he would have as a hunter-gatherer living a tribal lifestyle.
Not long after the events I mentioned, "Elijah Harper for Prime Minister" bumper stickers became a thing. People respect that he stood his ground over Meech. It doesn't erase the hell he went through in other aspects of his life, though, or the hell his peers experienced.

Had the parents embraced Western culture, there would have been no need to separate them from their children.
You're unbelievable. These children weren't stolen from teepees. They were kidnapped from houses, sometimes in the middle of the night, and then sold in black market adoptions. The Sixties Scoop was CRIMINAL.

Part of the reason I have no respect for him. He shouldn't have caved.
Oh, don't worry. :pat: The Catholic church mishandled it the way they mishandle so many things. They went around to various indigenous groups, asking doctors to "volunteer" their time to deal with any medical emergencies that might come up with so many people in attendance (newsflash, Catholic church: doctors in Canada get paid unless they freely offer their services for no pay). The bishops went around asking for "donations" to offset the "cost of travel"... as though the Vatican isn't insanely wealthy and crammed with costly doodads and brimming with money and accounts and property tucked away. And Francis didn't utter the words "cultural genocide" while on Canadian soil. He waited until he was in his plane, on the way back to Rome. So even though he came, it wasn't an overall respectful event.

Once all the Amerindian languages, cultures, cults, etc...were gone and the Amerindian descendants were all assimilated, the schools would no longer serve a purpose.
You really don't value culture at all, do you? You'd be happiest on a deserted island, where everyone there would think and behave exactly like you. Well, you're welcome to it.

There's no such thing as "cultural genocide". Genocide is the mass murder of an ethnic group, and using it metaphorically to describe assimilation cheapens the term and insults victims of ACTUAL genocides.
I guess you didn't bother to read the article I linked. "Kill the Indian in the child", and so forth.

I have said many times that I am not a white supremacist.
I doubt anyone here believes that, at this point. You make it plain with every single post that you are exactly that.

Respect's not given, it's earned.
How much do you think you've earned here? I suspect it can be expressed in a single round number.

I am not a child (12 or younger) or a minor (17 or younger). I am not even a teenager (13-19). I am in my 20s.
Most people express age in years, not months.

OK Boomer.
:lol: You really should do homework before attempting to insult people. GenMarshall is not in that age group.

Because Westernization is the best thing that could happen to Iron Age/Stone Age tribesmen.
I'd ask for a serious, non-bigotry-laced explanation for this if I thought one would be possible.

The Canadian government has been taken over by SJWs.
I guess you'd have preferred that we continue down the road to fascism that Harper was gleefully setting out and that his lapdog Jason Kenney has been determined to put in place in my province?

It's actually hilarious as to why the federal election of 2015 turned out like it did. If Jason Kenney (then in the federal cabinet, with citizenship being one of his portfolios) hadn't been so stubbornly against letting one woman wear a niqab to take her citizenship oath, that election might have gone the other direction and the Dark Decade wouldn't have ended.

I'd lay it out for you, but as I said, the far-right usually have a hard time connecting the dots, so I'll let you figure it out yourself. Or you could search my posts, as I've laid it out elsewhere in OT.

My voice speaks with a million times the authority and strength of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom