South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
squaring the circle of believing in equality of opportunity, but that inheritable wealth is sacrosant.
Well, much of it is about framing.
Is one subjected to pay a high tax rate (incl. inheritance taxes) for common good? Because everyone can only eat a single bellyful of food and wear one suit at a time? Because that poor kid, if given opportunity, might cure cancer later in life?

Or is one's property seized because of crimes or "crimes" committed by his great-grandfather, for which he is now vilified?

Similar, yet very different situations...

you didn't refute his point though. you can play that game as short or far back in history as you want, but you're still playing a game that involves stealing from people in the present who didn't do anything wrong.

centuries old border changes are too far to justify in practice. territory change in that context is new conquest/expulsion, not "righting past wrongs".

most everyone here is operating in the bounds of governance that can very much utilize theft on you personally/directly, within a single lifetime, and where absent civil lawsuits you don't get to be a creditor (in a strange sense of getting back lost value) at all.

that's the legal framework under which we accept living, in most countries of posters here (if not all). talking about 100s of years old theft debt in that context is silly...it becomes legitimately difficult to even track and calculate financial harms at that point...not happening in the context of governments that have no interest in returning your stuff even when you very much can track the theft, directly.

only if the current taxpayers agree (assuming republic/democratic setup).

western society is spiraling down. it's a pattern similar to late roman decadence or end stages of other large several-century cultures/institutions.

edit: don't see anything wrong with assimilation. i also don't see how actively opposing via governing policy is meaningfully different from bigotry. it's different if people are making individual choices, but even there the line between "cultural tradition" and "discrimination" is often blurry and people treat similar behavior differently depending on who does it.

True about the if voters agree.

Still look at the violence in SA and USA compared to say NZ which is generally rated very high in safest countries in the world vs being shot to death in the US. SA is terrible there.

The murder rate is much higher in South Africa than USA. Maybe if you factor in individual cities like Chicago or St Louis or Detroit, I don’t know how that compares with Johannesburg or Cape Town.

that it could be read as being in support of a position that functionally depriving black South Africans of most reasonable expectations to ever own land (because personal property can only be held by one owner) is the wrong being committed today.
does south africa prevent its black citizens from purchasing land? that's the only way quoted doesn't follow a logic chain with unfortunate implications that i can see, but perhaps you can clarify.
Perhaps you could work on squaring the circle of believing in equality of opportunity, but that inheritable wealth is sacrosant.
lol, if you don't have property rights the concept of equality doesn't matter. in such a scenario, the "rights" go to the people physically capable of possessing the property and retaining it with violence.

best we can do is apply law equally/fairly between people. even in that metric, we're not even close unfortunately.
Still look at the violence in SA and USA compared to say NZ which is generally rated very high in safest countries in the world vs being shot to death in the US. SA is terrible there.
i don't think distribution of wealth from taxpayers is the important difference here, or predictive of violence one way or the other.

does south africa prevent its black citizens from purchasing land? that's the only way quoted doesn't follow a logic chain with unfortunate implications that i can see, but perhaps you can clarify.

lol, if you don't have property rights the concept of equality doesn't matter. in such a scenario, the "rights" go to the people physically capable of possessing the property and retaining it with violence.

best we can do is apply law equally/fairly between people. even in that metric, we're not even close unfortunately.

i don't think distribution of wealth from taxpayers is the important difference here, or predictive of violence one way or the other.

It's how you treat the underclass though.

Economic inequality breeds violence and extremism. NZ doesn't really have ghettoes like SA and USA. We've got our poor areas but not like that.

There's no shanty towns or equivalent of Compton in the 90's.

Economic inequality breeds violence and extremism. NZ doesn't really have ghettoes like SA and USA. We've got our poor areas but not like that.

There's no shanty towns or equivalent of Compton in the 90'

From the first paragraph of the Wiki page you've provided to us:

I've bolded some useful bits.
The important part is Afrikaner, not White. We want an Afrikaner ethnostate, not an "ethnostate" that is for anyone with White skin.
I find it baffling how you don't see the value of Cherokee for the Cherokee, while advocating so strongly for maintaining Boer culture yourself.
Also, I would argue that every language and culture has certain inherent worth, insofar as it represents an unique part of our shared inheritance.
Obviously, I don't agree with this.
It is not "conspiracy theory", it is simple math that a minority can and will be absorbed into a majority, unless either side consciously avoids this. "Should one care?/"Should it matter?" is an altogether different question.
And I intend to continue consciously avoiding this.
The existence of cultural assimilation as a concept does not negate the literal, named existence of said white nationalist conspiracy theory.
The conspiracy theory is blaming the Jewish people for it. It's not their fault. I am not an antisemite.
it's inconsistent but understandable seeing where he's coming from. he's being radically ideologically syncretic (even embracing contrary beliefs) because the principles invoked are not important. all that matters is afrikaaner nationalism.

as he literally said elsewhere, he's an ethnocentrist. when i told him his claims about minority rights and whatever was not a principle at all, but boiled down to his tribalism, he was like yea.

he doesn't care about the cherokee because he doesn't see them as having value.

all appeals he does, whether it's for cultural legitimacy of presence (as afrikaaners in SA and whites in NA) or against cultural legitimacy of presence (against everyone else in SA and natives in NA), whether it's for european civilization (as christian "bringers of civilization") or against european civilization (against most of western values of liberalism, against catholicism and against the dutch for some reason - against most of the west really), whether it's for majority ethnic rule in sovereign states (whites in european countries) or against majority ethnic rule in sovereign states (blacks in SA), it all boils down to that. he likes white christians and is indifferent to everyone else - save authoritarians in east asia, which to me just has two purposes - it's a token appeal to prove it's not about race or whatever, and it's to show that he's willing to enforce the plight of harsh conservatism (wording his worldview mildly here) through authoritarianism. as he said somewhere, the closest country to his ideal is either hungary or japan (hungary being not harsh enough for what he wants, and his idea of japan not being as liberal as japan actually is).

it's all stuff he's said. i'd do the work and dig up the quotes but the postings are honestly such a mess that it's hard to find. monarchy thread, his boer civ idea in the game forums, his posts in world history, this thread, the arab spring thread. he repeatedly brings up afrikaaner stuff everywhere, and even in the thread about a boer civ, it becomes a weird siderant about crusades good caliphate bad because christianity good islam bad (and again - wouldn't this work contrary to his rejection of catholicism/the pope? not to him, because the fundamental point is that it's all about tribalism, as he said. as long as he can syncretize reasonably mediating appeals about it, he doesn't care about the consistency).
I don't just like Christians, I also like Jews, especially Israeli right-wingers. There was no Protestantism in the Crusader Era, so I support Catholics vs Muslims...but I support Protestants vs Catholics.
one would hope. i sympathize with the attempt.

like, the thing is... cultural chauvinists usually pick and choose intentionally, to have rhetoric outreach rather than actually believing in what they're saying. in these cases, it's methodical and callous, and indifferent to values beyond my tribe. paul's practices in particular may not intentional, but it's the structure of this kind of speech. it's all about finding arguments to support the tribe. if the claims are then inconsistent or disproven, the chauvinist will provide a non-answer, rephrase, or sidetrack, try to place the discussion elsewhere, because - again - it's not actually about consistency. it's about the tribe. there's a bunch of other posts like this around the threads, but again, too much work for me to care and dig up.

so one may ask me, why engage in forums when you can't convince someone about something? i learn a lot here, stuff contrary to my views included, it can be really productive. but it's not the case with all posters, doesn't mean it's not worth my time coming here. even paul's bizarro world gives some insight into some boer stuff i sometimes didn't know, even if the point of it is deliberately warped.
Actually, it's the modern mainstream world that is "bizarro", not me.
you didn't refute his point though. you can play that game as short or far back in history as you want, but you're still playing a game that involves stealing from people in the present who didn't do anything wrong.

centuries old border changes are too far to justify in practice. territory change in that context is new conquest/expulsion, not "righting past wrongs".

most everyone here is operating in the bounds of governance that can very much utilize theft on you personally/directly, within a single lifetime, and where absent civil lawsuits you don't get to be a creditor (in a strange sense of getting back lost value) at all.

that's the legal framework under which we accept living, in most countries of posters here (if not all). talking about 100s of years old theft debt in that context is silly...it becomes legitimately difficult to even track and calculate financial harms at that point...not happening in the context of governments that have no interest in returning your stuff even when you very much can track the theft, directly.

only if the current taxpayers agree (assuming republic/democratic setup).

western society is spiraling down. it's a pattern similar to late roman decadence or end stages of other large several-century cultures/institutions.

edit: don't see anything wrong with assimilation. i also don't see how actively opposing via governing policy is meaningfully different from bigotry. it's different if people are making individual choices, but even there the line between "cultural tradition" and "discrimination" is often blurry and people treat similar behavior differently depending on who does it.
I'm pro-assimilation when the assimilation benefits my people, and anti-assimilation when the assimilation harms my people.
Making amends for past injustices even when one is not forced to is a sign of decadence? Am I reading this right?
We have nothing to "make amends" for.
Africans brought to the Western Hemisphere were held in bondage for three centuries and had no way to return to Africa. False equivalency. Boers left Europe voluntarily, bringing family, tools, and weapons. No one ever chained Boers in the hold of a slave ship.
They can return to Africa just as easily as we can return to Europe in the Year of Our Lord 2022, though. If us having European descent invalidates our right to live in South Africa, then their having African descent invalidates their right to live in the Western Hemisphere. You can't twist a logical pretzel. Personally, I think a clever US government would tie the way it treats its African-descended minority to the way South Africa treats its European-descended minority. That way, blacks in South Africa could no longer abuse us without harming their fellow blacks in the Americas.
If you read his original post, he did not in fact make a point. He sort of implied one. And I'm very bored of refuting implied points that people immediately then step away from and call you impolite for assuming they were making.

What he actually said was "It's stupid to wrong today's people in an effort to right the purported wrongs of yestercentury." which is so general that it could be read as being in support of a position that functionally depriving black South Africans of most reasonable expectations to ever own land (because personal property can only be held by one owner) is the wrong being committed today.

So go white knight for a worthwhile cause I guess. Perhaps you could work on squaring the circle of believing in equality of opportunity, but that inheritable wealth is sacrosant.
It's not reasonable that they want to own land if their owning land means robbing us of ours. They own most of the continent of Africa, they can leave us our small little corner of it.
Well, much of it is about framing.
Is one subjected to pay a high tax rate (incl. inheritance taxes) for common good? Because everyone can only eat a single bellyful of food and wear one suit at a time? Because that poor kid, if given opportunity, might cure cancer later in life?

Or is one's property seized because of crimes or "crimes" committed by his great-grandfather, for which he is now vilified?

Similar, yet very different situations...
Here's my idea of fair. I keep what I've earned, you keep what you've earned.
True about the if voters agree.

The vast majority of violence in SA does not come from the Afrikaner community...
The murder rate is much higher in South Africa than USA. Maybe if you factor in individual cities like Chicago or St Louis or Detroit, I don’t know how that compares with Johannesburg or Cape Town.
My people are not the ones responsible for this murder rate.

There's no shanty towns or equivalent of Compton in the 90's.
Or you can crack down on them with more policing and imprisonment.

Where in the world is wealth not accumulating(that is, concentrating)? Where in the world is generational wealth not creating an ever widening gap?

I live in a nation where people of my generation are never going to own property, when it was common in that of their parents.

You don't need to forbid what is rare. You just need an lie like "The Rich Man and the Poor Man have their property rights equally enforced!". Equality of opportunity, as you understand it, is a harmful lie.

The actual norm of the (very recent) past that you excuse. The functional norm of the present, with the violence outsourced to the state law enforcement.

Do non-white Afrikaners exist? Would you welcome them as a neighbour?
Just like any other European-origin ethnic group, there are a small number of mixed origin people who identify with the group, but an uitlander who learns Afrikaans does not become a true Afrikaner. If their sole cultural and political loyalty was with Afrikaners, they were 100% assimilated culturally, and they didn't try to advocate for the other group they were descended from, I would be fine with them as a neighbor.
Is it proportional to their population size?
No, we commit a smaller amount of crime than our population size would suggest.

There's no shanty towns or equivalent of Compton in the 90'
no country is 100% mono-culture, but nz is a heck of a lot closer than usa. it also benefits from tons of ocean water and distance wrt immigration, and is further much more restrictive of it.

the only real problem with economic inequality as it exists in the usa is that us law is not being applied fairly. one person having more property than another person is not an inherent problem. the problem is the person with property using the country's laws to retain an advantage that person would not have but for that abuse.

people are not universally stupid, regardless of social standing. they can see when the situation isn't fair (though some people also see that when it is fair or close).

Where in the world is wealth not accumulating(that is, concentrating)? Where in the world is generational wealth not creating an ever widening gap?
from where does wealth originate? or more accurately, productivity? which "gap" are you complaining about?

I live in a nation where people of my generation are never going to own property, when it was common in that of their parents.
the odd thing about this is that you seem to back policies that result in this outcome, and then complain when you get this outcome. including the exact discussion we've been having recently.

broadening authority to seize property will not result in "your generation" possessing more property. not as a percentage, and certainly not in absolute terms. though it's also not clear why you'd complain about this, if you back seizure of property as policy. that implies that your own can be forfeit as well.

The actual norm of the (very recent) past that you excuse.
don't recall doing this

The functional norm of the present, with the violence outsourced to the state law enforcement.
what makes you think giving the state even more broad authority to do this will result in the trend created by this functional norm reversing?

Or you can crack down on them with more policing and imprisonment.
assuming the unrest over equality is based in fact, in addition to being unethical doing this costs too much. you don't have enough police, enough jails, or enough productivity when you're done with it. better to stop enforcing laws unfairly, if you can. if you can't, then yes the market corrections tend to happen outside of the state's "monopoly" on violence, which increasingly looks less like monopoly. that's a bad path, for obvious reasons.

people tend to tolerate a lot of abuse, until suddenly they don't, when it comes to governance.

The important part is Afrikaner, not White. We want an Afrikaner ethnostate, not an "ethnostate" that is for anyone with White skin.
Buddy, you provided the Wikipedia link. Assuming that was the source you wanted to provide, it explicitly defines it as "white". I'm sure there are primary sources referenced that validate the claim.

no country is 100% mono-culture, but nz is a heck of a lot closer than usa. it also benefits from tons of ocean water and distance wrt immigration, and is further much more restrictive of it.

the only real problem with economic inequality as it exists in the usa is that us law is not being applied fairly. one person having more property than another person is not an inherent problem. the problem is the person with property using the country's laws to retain an advantage that person would not have but for that abuse.

people are not universally stupid, regardless of social standing. they can see when the situation isn't fair (though some people also see that when it is fair or close).

from where does wealth originate? or more accurately, productivity? which "gap" are you complaining about?

the odd thing about this is that you seem to back policies that result in this outcome, and then complain when you get this outcome. including the exact discussion we've been having recently.

broadening authority to seize property will not result in "your generation" possessing more property. not as a percentage, and certainly not in absolute terms. though it's also not clear why you'd complain about this, if you back seizure of property as policy. that implies that your own can be forfeit as well.

don't recall doing this

what makes you think giving the state even more broad authority to do this will result in the trend created by this functional norm reversing?

assuming the unrest over equality is based in fact, in addition to being unethical doing this costs too much. you don't have enough police, enough jails, or enough productivity when you're done with it. better to stop enforcing laws unfairly, if you can. if you can't, then yes the market corrections tend to happen outside of the state's "monopoly" on violence, which increasingly looks less like monopoly. that's a bad path, for obvious reasons.

people tend to tolerate a lot of abuse, until suddenly they don't, when it comes to governance.

Erm per Capita our immigration rate was double America's.

25% population growth between 2000-2022. I don't think USA took in 75 million migrants in that time frame.
What we do have is universal healthcare, welfare, and help with social housing.

It's under a lot of pressure atm but we never have had ghettoes and things like that even in the great depression (unemployment rate was about half of USA then).

So we dodged the worse effects of inequality so far. It's not perfect of course.

Apartheid was unsustainable you can't treat the majority like crap for so long without consequences. Your system will collapse one way or another.

Hmmmm yes hmmm. What is words? What are definitions?

Perhaps not the thread for recursive questions.

I wish I had more positive reasons, but the honest truth is that the present developed world is sleepwalking into a worst case scenario climate crisis and I hope that it won't take the destruction of the present concentrations of wealth and power to do something about it, but it might.

Theres your answer. My desire for a radical redistribution within society is partly out of hope that it will be functional. My hope is that a flatter society will be able to make the decision to not destroy itself, whereas the current decision making process cannot do this as those in power are willing to accept being captain of a ship where everything but their bridge has sunk beneath the waterline.

I only have the evidence of what doing nothing will do and it is increasing my tolerance of political risk.

don't recall doing this
Its the south africa thread dude. You're kind of doing it by who you're defending. That and the US is only 30 years better than SA, but keep on throwing that centuries word about.

There are plenty of states I wouldn't trust to do it. One can hope that internally hostile states can be reformed.

Erm per Capita our immigration rate was double America's.

25% population growth between 2000-2022.
one, i don't think anybody knows usa's real numbers and two, i doubt impact from immigration follows linear scaling. especially not if you actually vet the people you let in vs a country that does not.

It's under a lot of pressure atm but we never have had ghettoes and things like that even in the great depression (unemployment rate was about half of USA then).
usa policies cratered it. countries whose governments did nothing in response performed significantly better in terms of recovery.

Apartheid was unsustainable you can't treat the majority like crap for so long without consequences.
obviously. i already mentioned this wrt applying laws equally. apartheid...fell short of that, to put it mildly.

Hmmmm yes hmmm. What is words? What are definitions?

Perhaps not the thread for recursive questions.
gap in wealth isn't inherently bad. you need to define your terms for your argument to even work.

I wish I had more positive reasons, but the honest truth is that the present developed world is sleepwalking into a worst case scenario climate crisis and I hope that it won't take the destruction of the present concentrations of wealth and power to do something about it, but it might.
i doubt that helps climate change. what you get when you do that is something like north korea or china, and these are not exactly green states. you actually do need some productive capacity to allocate towards the problem.

Theres your answer. My desire for a radical redistribution within society is partly out of hope that it will be functional.
this has never been functional, and there's no evidence that points to exceptions. there will be less total wealth, and it will likely have an end game of more concentration with less fair law.

That and the US is only 30 years better than SA, but keep on throwing that centuries word about.
us conduct post 1970 has arguably done more to drive inequality than the 200 years prior, when looking at how demographics have progressed. that is to say, us policy since 1970 has been so bad that it seems to overpower even the negative effects of jim crow. that's impressively terrible, and yet often what gets suggests is doing more of that, even harder, with rejection of it being racist somehow.

There are plenty of states I wouldn't trust to do it.
the list of states to be trusted is shorter, much shorter. probably 0.

gap in wealth isn't inherently bad. you need to define your terms for your argument to even work.

i doubt that helps climate change. what you get when you do that is something like north korea or china, and these are not exactly green states. you actually do need some productive capacity to allocate towards the problem.

this has never been functional, and there's no evidence that points to exceptions. there will be less total wealth, and it will likely have an end game of more concentration with less fair law.

us conduct post 1970 has arguably done more to drive inequality than the 200 years prior, when looking at how demographics have progressed. that is to say, us policy since 1970 has been so bad that it seems to overpower even the negative effects of jim crow. that's impressively terrible, and yet often what gets suggests is doing more of that, even harder, with rejection of it being racist somehow.

the list of states to be trusted is shorter, much shorter. probably 0.

Wealth gaps are bad. Climate suicide bad. Favouring high short term global wealth holding at the expense of some centuries of very degraded global wealth value in the long term is bad. Internally hostile states are bad, but if they're only hostile to the people beneath you, you can get behind them.

In the end, this is just a values thing. And you're on the wrong side of all of them. Para 4 especially is very informative as to how warped your prism is.

You're an idiot in the passenger seat beside me, arguing that I don't have evidence of good outcomes to justify our driver taking his foot off the accelerator as he speeds towards a brick wall. Also, you're undoing your seat belt. Complain about debate club rules or logic fallacies all you want, but you'll live to see once a century hurricanes become once a decade hurricanes, and I'd like to see you argue in that manner then.

Moderator Action: Flaming within an analogy is still flaming. - emzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom