South Korean Government Buries One Million ALIVE!!!!!

Mad Man

Your lord and master
South Korea has been heavily criticised for burying up to one million pigs alive as it grapples with a foot and mouth disease outbreak.

The government has so far refused to vaccinate pigs against the disease

Since the first case of the disease was confirmed in November the country has embarked on a mass cull.

Foot and mouth disease affects all cloven hoofed animals such as pigs, cattle and goats, and any country that has cases of it is unable to export the animals' meat.

The South Korean government has so far refused to vaccinate pigs against the disease and is now slaughtering them in record numbers despite appeals to stop.

On January 4 in one area of Gangwon-Do, 33,900 pigs alone were destroyed, according to the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

Compassion in World Farming (CIWF) told Sky News Online that South Korea's actions contravene international guidelines.

Michele Danan from the organisation said: "Live vaccinations are the best route but if they do have to kill them we would prefer that they were at least slaughtered humanely."

The pigs may not even be infected

The estimated cost of the cull so far is believed to have reached around £230m when a mass vaccination programme would have cost an estimated £63m.

Some animal rights campaigners have criticised the government for putting economic considerations ahead of animal welfare.

The Republic has begun inoculating cattle in some areas and the OIE reported on Thursday that sows and boars are starting to be vaccinated but only in a few locations.

It is believed the live burial of pigs began at Christmas and the figure is likely to climb far above the one million mark.

Joyce D’Silva, Director of Public Affairs for CIWF said: "Compassion in World Farming is appalled that the Republic of Korea is allegedly throwing pigs into pits and burying them alive.

"This is totally contrary to international guidelines on humane culling, which the Korean government endorsed five years ago.

"We urge the Korean government to end this horrendous practice at once and to ensure that, if animals are culled, this is done humanely."

Unnecessary animal cruelty or hard line preventive measures, whats your take on this?

No take the kids not the pigs!!! You can't make bacon with kids!!!!

Why not vaccinate them?

It might be because they already are infected?

/wild mass guessing

But prior to that, no idea. People aren't stupid enough to think it'll give the pigs autism, will they? :p

-Vaccinated pigs lose value. They can't be exported for ex.
-Fmd spreads quite fast. Which is why they are burying them alive. Its a desperate attempt to quarntine the outbreak.
-This news is already kinda old by internet standards.
-I like the baiting thread title. Omitting pigs part lol.

I assumed this was talking about humans and I'm like "Did I read South Korea right?

In any case, why bury them alive? I'm not sure why they couldn't vaccinate them, but if there's a risk to that, why can't you just shoot them? Much easier and less painful.

No take the kids not the pigs!!! You can't make bacon with kids!!!!

I'm pretty sure you probably can, although many would find cannibalism disturbing so bacon sales might suffer. Cannibals generally attest that human flesh is almost indistinguishable from pig flesh except for a lack of smell. Some cannibals however claim that only males taste like pork/ham/bacon, while females taste more like beef.

How can pigs be killed humanely if they're not humans?

Bury them all. It's a waste, but better killing them than making us, the important species to ourselves, sick.
Fmd isnt dangerous to humans. It will cause a lot of dmgs to animals though. Causing lot of animal suffering and most importantly huge cost for ranchers.

Top Bottom