Space 5 - Old hands can be newbs too, getting back in the game

Magnificent kill ratio. Between this war and the first one, we must have killed an awful lot of Frenchmen in this game. Kill ratios are so much better when you are focused on defence.. I guess the biggest single difference between defence and attack is the extra fire power of the cities.
On offense, you have to take the risk of moving into non-defense tiles, like open ground. So you take more damage.

In defense, I generally made him come to me and then smacked him.

We're researching Printing Press currently, on the way to Economics->eventually Scientific Theory. However, maybe with all this aggression around us, we need to get to Gunpowder next for Muskets?
Could use The Great Scientist for Gunpowder?

We are currently at +11 happy faces. Maybe we could take over one or more of our puppets to increase military production?
Would rather grow M-B to expand research. It has lots of food. :)

But we could annex the city producing the most hammers, and we should see if any of them have built a Courthouse.

On my laptop atm, cannot check.

None of them have built, or are building, Courthouses. How long would it take to build one ourselves?

Each city is producing 5 hammers at the moment and a Courthouse requires 100 hammers. However, Ainwood's Tor has a population of 9 and the most capacity to produce more hammers. Think it would take about 10 to 12 turns there. Less if we can get Worker chores done without risking them. May have to purchase some of the western hill tiles.

No, not a consensus.

We have absorbed France's initial attacks and killed quit a few units. It would be nice to start moving to the attack in the south, but we probably need a few more units. XBows have been quite effective, so a few of them, along with some Trebs will be needed, I think.

Our biggest obstacle is that France has their Musket UU and it is tough to kill. Not sure how many there are out there, as we have killed at least one and maybe two, cannot remember.

Happiness is good atm (+11, iirc) and we are fairly stable. The main question, probably, is whether we annex ainwood's tor and get it producing units? Will cost us in happiness and requires a Courthouse, but could live without the Courthouse for a while perhaps.

Should go look at the save again, hopefully tomorrow. :)

edit - we have a Great Scientist that I was saving to bulb a more advanced tech, but we could use him to bulb Gunpowder to give us Muskets as well?

I agree with annexing ainwoods Tor. I think we can deal with muskets with ranged units however - so the crossbows and trebs idea works for me. I don't think that Napoleon will have many muskets. He won't have had time to build them yet.

We will need happy pills for when we take out Nappies cities. A courthouse will be needed after the first couple of units I think.

I would want to save the scientist if at all possible.

I think we can deal with muskets with ranged units however - so the crossbows and trebs idea works for me.
On the defense, yes. On the offense, we're gonna lose some units to them.

I would want to save the scientist if at all possible.
Agree with this.

Pre-Flight:
Agreeing with the strategy to annex one of our puppets, so I consider the options. Ainwood's TOR will produce around 11 HPT annexing now, but really needs more production tiles. Alan's Apple is much smaller (5 citizens), but has better raw production - but lacks food. Hmm. Leif's Springs is just too small. I go with ainwood's TOR, and our happiness drops to +6. I chagne to production focus (11 hpt) and a courthouse (10 turns).
I mobilize our Great General in Alan's Apple to head down towards Ted's Keep.

IBT:
French Treb bombards a longsword, promoting it.

Turn 181: 1210 AD.
SpaceStation: Treb -> Longsword.
Eastern Front: Ted's Keep
Treb near ted's keep capture worker.
Crossbow moves and attacks, destroying pike.
Second crossbow tries the same with Trebuchet, but only does one damage.
Southern Front: Space Station
Pike destroys retreating french horseman.
Under covering fire from the city, longsword defeats longsword, while second longsword moves to flank trebuchet.

IBT:
We lose pike to 3x bombardment
Complete printing press.

Turn 182: 1220 AD
Long-term, we want to get to Scientific Theory. Gunpowder is on the way, so I choose that (which then gives us an options of metallurgy for cannons, if we can handle a detour).
I buy a desert hill near ainwood's TOR, and start to mine it.
2x crossbow bombard and destroy french Trebuchet.
Set up for assault on avignon.
Southern Front: Space Station
Longsword destroys trebuchet.

IBT:
France asks for peace - he is given a very considered "Get Stuffed" Response. He attacks and badly wounds a longsword, but it earns a promotion.
Capetown steals our worker! Bastard!
Turn 183: 1230 AD
We begin our assault on Avignon, knocking it down to about half-strength. Nappy has abandoned his forces from it, as he sought to counterattack.
Our pincer movement bringing longswords from the south destroys another pike (the longsword heals itself with a promotion).

IBT:
Deals with Cathy end.
Capetown moves to attakc a crossbow, and damages us.
Avignon bombards - largely unsuccessful. French pike attacks our longsword and dies in the process.
Capetown moves into our territory near ted's keep.
We have moved into the lead, score-wise.
Turn 184: 1240 AD
We destroy two capetown units (crossbow near ted's keep, pike near ainwood's tor).
Eastern Front: Assault on Avignon
Bombard it down, and our longsword captures it. It is size two, and has no useful resources, so I elect to raze it (happiness to -2, temporarily).
Catapult captures worker.

I trade marble + 90 gold to Siam for silks, and our happiness is back to +2.

IBT:
Arabia wants us to join a war against Japan. I decline.
Darius completes the forbidden palace.
Cathy enters the rennaisance era.
Avignon is razed, and our happiness is back to +8.
MBR completes a crossbowman, and I start a harbour (+5 production when complete).
Turn 185: 1250 AD
We see a French Musketeer. I retreat our units and regroup for the next assault.

IBT:
Very little.
Turn 186: 1260 AD
Healing.

IBT:
Now two musketeers.
Turn 187: 1270 AD
Carefully stay out of range of musketeers (putting hills and march between vulnerable units). Bombard one with crossbow.

IBT:
Oda want's a research agreement. I agree.
We discover Gunpowder.
A french sword appears with the musketmen - they look like they are trying to flank and head towards ainwood's tor.
Turn 188: 1280 AD
Ted's Keep: Knight => Crossbow.
Two cross bows and a catapult take-down a musketeer.
I elect to pursue Chemistry. It provides cannons (which I love), plus is required for fertilizer (growth).

IBT:
Venice declares war on us, and moves lots of units into our lands. Next message is that Venice is no longer allied to France.
Alex enters the rennaisance era, and a cultural expansion breaks our trade route to Leif Springs, also stopping our trade with Siam.
We lose a catapult to a musketeer.

Turn 189: 1290 AD
First order of business is peace with Venice... Done!
Space Station longsword => Musketman.
Courthouse completed in ainwood's tor. Start Musketman.
Destroy french musketeer near Ted's Keep, a trebuchet near Troyes and another treb near spcae station. Take that Nappy!

IBT:
Nothing.

STATUS
We are seven turns from Chemistry. Happiness is +9 (we're 125 from a golden age - 14 turns at current happiness). We're #1 in literacy, #2 in soldiers, #3 in crop yeild and land.
MBR has just completed a harbour, and is producing 27 HPT. Could rearrange some locked tiles and use it to grow in size faster.
We're still at war with nappy - I have regrouped, and I think we're in a position to move to take either Orleans (my preference) or Troyes.

Attachments

• Montezuma_0190 AD-1300.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
:goodjob: Looks like you had some good fights. Nice job on the Musketeers. :hammer:

Our Military Adviser now says we are on even terms with Nappy, let's go get him, after cleaning up a few more units. :)

We can make peace with Cape Town.

Did Alex make much noise to the north?

Sure am glad Venice gave peace, that would not have been fun.

A French Trireme is partially blockading Fanatica, do we need to send a Caravel to kill him? Could build one in M-B, but 5-turns.

Nice Work. :thumbsup:

Our caravel is off exploring the northwest passage. Must have missed the notification re cape town, as I tried to get peace with them earlier and couldn't (I think.... Might be mis-remembering). Didn't hear a peep from alex.

The bizarre thing is that when the trade route was broken, it said it was broken with Siam.... But deal is still on (shows in deals list - on reflection, didn't check luxuries list) Seems we took a reputation hit though, as cathy thinks we're untrustworthy.

It seems to be American in origin. A neck of land is a narrow area.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but it did occur to me that it might have evolved from "eck", as in Deusches Eck, meaning "corner"

Who's UP?

Your neck of the woods is not quiet enough for your mouse to emerge yet then?

Top Bottom