1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Armarda; The War for Terra!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Smoking mirror, May 28, 2005.

1. Smoking mirror

Smoking mirror Ships Captain

This is the first version of this mod, call it 0.6 as I've already made numerous practice attempts. It is a Beta version made for PTW. There was a problem with the original file being corrupted. check the second page for a fix.

Hopefully soon I will be able to begin work on the full conquests version, but for now this is an exelent opertunity for people to give some feedback on how the mod handles, what can be improved or changed and what direction the mod should take when it moves from PTW to conquests.

The Story;
    The year is 2060AD, small enclaves of humanity have expanded throughout the home system. New reserach has lead to a new spaceship design which will make travels to the nearby star systems possible, and carried within are settlement pods, equiped with all the latest technology to enable new space stations to set up orbit around the new systems and begin collecting thier vital resources.

The files;
    Here is the Mod files, units, terrain etc...
    Files
    Here is the scenario file
    Scenario

A Preview;

The Map;
    The map is based on a real life star chart of the suns nearest to earth. At the moment some systems are black, as I've not had time to fill them in. However they are merely red dwarfs and would not produce much anyhow. All the main habitable star systems are present with a mix of planets. The types of space are;
    #1 Hazard space This is the area around a very bright star. In the conquests version this will be a volcano. Hazard space provides a lot of life support because of the huge amounts of solar radiation in the area.
    #2 Proximity space This is the area outside hazard space, or just around a dimmer sun such as our own. Gives good life support which can be added to by solar panels (irrgation).
    #3 System space the general area of space in a solar system, gives nominal amount of life support which can be bought up to standard with solar panels.
    #4 Asteroid belt asteroids are essential for industry, and are often found where a planet has failed to form. individual asteroids can also be dragged in to other orbits and turned in to industrial complexes (mines) which can be found in almost any space type or even in the proximity of planets.
    #5 Planets Come in several types, mostly with the same effect. Can be augmented by specific resources such as The Earth, Or Mars, which are usualy the source of luxuries. Planets are also the source of diseases, either from the mass of humanity who live on the surface, or from alien microbes found in the atmosphere.
    #6 Gas Giants good source of all resouces, can have a icy habitable moon, or perhaps even a watery moon if close enough to the sun, a source of luxury. Is also the source of H3, hydrogen needed for fusion reactors.
    #7 Suns Or more properly stars, give out masive amounts of solar radiation. Good for life support.
    #8 transit space Is impassable to wheeled units, that is any non-intersolar ships such as fighters. It links the different solar systems.

2. Smoking mirror

Heres are some of the governments, so far there are no more than in the original civ, once it's upgraded to Conquests the will be room for more as it allows gov specific buildings and extra options such as xenophobia...

First off, Harmony;

Next Demarchism;

And Solidarity;

Most of these will need to be adjusted by playtesting, but that can all begin as soon as the files are posted. :)

3. EuropeanFury

EuropeanFury Tired Grumpy Warrior

""This is the first version of this mod, call it 0.6 as I've already mad numerous practice attempts. It is a Beta version made for PTW.""

PTW?? :confused:

Wait a minute, this is not for C3C???

Shucks.

The Previews look awesome at least :goodjob:

4. Smoking mirror

I'm sure you can use it with Conquests, just load the scenario in the editor and save it as a conquests file.
    I'm waiting for Thunderfall to give PM the links for the scenario files so please be patient. :)

5. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

Looks very nice!

Shame about the typo in the title though...

6. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Nice!

Just a side note, Helium 3 is the main sought after resource for Fusion reactors. We can get Hydrogen 3 from bombarding Lithium with neutrons.

7. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

From looking at the Goverments, it looks like Demarchism would be fairly useless. I think you're trying to make it a middle ground goverment that can be used for decent long wars. But the 3 unit cost is a killer. You could try adding free units based of city size just like how Republic was changed in C3C.

I'll give it a go when I get home in a couple days. :)

8. Smoking mirror

Files now uploaded, Demarchist gov has the usual repubic style trade bonus, forgot to include it in the civlopedia entry.

I'm off to Leeds now (near York), so I may be absent for a while.
    Please enjoy! :)

9. JuuL

JuuL Creator of

Wow! This looks great. I'll play this once a get enough time...

10. Emperor Martyn

Emperor Martyn Chieftain

The file appears to be corrupt. :cry:

11. JuuL

JuuL Creator of

Emperor Martyn is right... scenario file is ok, but the other one is corrupt.

12. la_dav

la_dav King

:goodjob: :goodjob: :eek:
    I play plan. Have no problem? feeling is very good! Thank you! Have worked hard!
    :p :king: :lol:

13. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

Can't wait to try:goodjob:

Edit: It is corrupt, I hoped SM did not leave yet, I want to play so bad:(

14. Smoking mirror

Corrupt!!!! Nooooooooooo!!!!!

You can't beging to imagine how upset that makes me. :cry: Not only have I already moved, but the stuff on the computer I had been using in Hampshire has been deleted. There is no Backup copy!!!!

I think all the models and animation setups are all still alright, but I had only made three more units, most of the hard work went in to the terrain and graphics files. :mad:

Oh well, it was only about three weeks work that was lost, once I get back in to the swing of things I may come back and re-do it, but for now I need a break... It really sucks when you do every thing you can to finish somthing on time, and something as stupid as a display problem during uploading causes you to lose everything. When I restarted the PC It said that the file was all there, and I belived it enough to delete the original along with all my working files.

Goodbye for a while, I'm going off to have a cry and learn 3dsmax... :(

15. Emperor Martyn

Emperor Martyn Chieftain

la_dav said he got it working. So maybe all is not lost.

16. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

Here is the exact error:
    Code:
    [/tmp/Space.zip]
      End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
      a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
      latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
      the last disk(s) of this archive.
    unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/Space.zip or
            /tmp/Space.zip.zip, and cannot find /tmp/Space.zip.ZIP, period.

17. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

I just noticed the thread, but I guess I didn't miss any playing time.... :cry:

18. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

Just downloaded the mod and, well, the .zip is corrupt but it doesn't look too bad, so cheer up!! ;)

Mod graphics extracted just fine except for workdeath.flc. One question smoking mirror, is the worker the same you did show in another thread? If that's the case, i'll look for it and replace the bad file.

On the other hand, all text files are missing and thus the mod cannot load as no unit animation, civpedia entries, etc can be found. I'll try to come up with the entries for unit anims, units civpedia icons myself, since these can be partly retrieved from the .bic file. Same with techs. However the civpedia entries will be missing unless you totally redo them from scratch...

I'll try to post the corrected files today.

See ya

19. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

All right, the mod's working now!

Here's what you need to do:

1) Download and unzip the files smoking mirror posted in the first post. I used Ultimate Zip for that and it worked fine, except for a couple of files.

2) Download the fix for the mod and unzip it to your scenario folder.

The fix can be found here : Files

That's it. Enjoy :)

20. JuuL

JuuL Creator of

Great work, Guagle, but unfortunately I still can't get any of the files from the corrupted zip-file. Couldn't you post a complet version of the mod?