1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Armarda; The War for Terra!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Smoking mirror, May 28, 2005.

1. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

yeah could you post the mod not just the fix:( Klad you got it working though so not all is lost:)

2. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

I should have done that the first time, though i don't understand why you can't uncompress the original files... What utility did you use? Winzip?

Anyway here are the files. I had to split them in three due to the upload size limit, but hopefully nothing's missing. Otherwise let me know if you have problems and i'll try to help.

The files :

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

EDIT: rename the folder to "SpaceArmada" without the r... :crazyeye:

Hope this works :)

3. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

Winzip is what I use, Do I have to get the fix to?

4. JuuL

JuuL Creator of

Thanks :) It would have been a shame if this beautiful mod had been lost forever...

5. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

@Bobisbask: no, the files represent the complete mod, and will work without the fix i posted earlier. The fix is only necessary if you are using Smoking Mirror's files, and you managed to unzip them, that is.

I realized i've not been very clear about installing this mod, so here's the steps you should follow:

1) Download the three files i posted earlier and unzip them to your Conquests\Scenarios folder. It's very important that you do not unzip them to PTW\Scenarios as it will not work.

2) Your Conquests\Scenarios folder will now have two new items : SpaceArmada.biq and a SpaceArmarda folder. I made a mistake naming the folder: it should be SpaceArmada, without the second "r". Please rename it to SpaceArmada or the mod will not work properly.

That's it, you are done and should be able to play the mod. If something's wrong, e.g. a file's missing or whatnot, tell me and i'll upload it.

6. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

A big :thanx: to Guagle! :D

7. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

It's fun but it seems like the unit upgrade paths are massed up? But other then that It is really cool:goodjob:

8. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

Corrupotion sucks in this. You can't build any thing in those cities way out there. So I made these changes:
    The fast ships can settle.
    Optimal City is 500.

Also there is a lot of useless space out there you should at least fill them in with some kind of terrain, otherwise the bottom right of the map is useless.

Even at 1000 corruption sucks. I think the best way would be to eliminate corruprion all together...

9. WildWeazel

Would setting corruption very low on the difficulty levels help?

10. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

It actually works fairly well at 1000 with a courthouse (I made it avaliable from the beginning and cost nothing) I even made all goverments have Minimal corruption. (I'm playing at Regent) This alowes cities way deep in space to actually be able to produce anything.

One thing I suggest is make Starship's be able to carry units such as Workers and Missles (maybe even fighters). I think it is more realsitic this way and also makes Missles more useful, even if the AI can't handle it.

This mod has great potential, I can't wait till it gets to 1.0! :)

11. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

SmokingMirror,

Just started it. Looks good! Especially like the map graphics and layout.

Conceptually, I don't like all of free food in space.
    To tweak it, I'd make all the income come from worker improvements, including gold. That'd represent orbital stations.
    The only tiles with natural income should be the planets themselves, and perhaps double the current rates for naturally habital planets (Earth).

12. WildWeazel

The "food" is solar power, which is abundant close to the stars. It represents life support, not actual food.

13. WildWeazel

Whenever SM gets back here's my first testing report:
    First of all, it's too easy. I'm a regent player, and I crushed everyone by 2400. The only reason I didn't win is because the only victory option is domination! What's up with that? Anyway, with cramped starting locations, it's just too easy to trample over everyone with your first few units before the AI has time to realize it needs better defense than a 1HP Hauler.
    The upgrade paths are screwed. Everything upgrades to the Tubeship, making war futile after researching Advanced Chemistry. Shouldn't it be something like:
    Hauler>>Warshuttle>>Cruiser
    Corvette>>Cruiser>>Warsphere
    Trading planets and moons as luxuries seems wierd.

I know it's still in the early stages and a lot will change. It has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see the full Conquests version. (although I won't be around to play it for quite a while) Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

14. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

i wish i can set my own victory modes only domination is kinda flunky

15. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

@Weasel- Did corruption seem fine at other star systems? Or did you just not settle any other systems?
    I've seen them with a coupe of unguarded capitals!

16. WildWeazel

It didn't seem too bad, but I only settled the 2 closest systems. I think I only had about 25% corruption. But there were only about 15 cities at the most before I started warmongering. :evil:

The asteroids are very hard to see. I recommend making the base terrain patterns more subtle, and the asteroids larger. Some border colors are hard to see too, especially red on Proximity.
    Some of the early units and buildings seem too expensive, but maybe that's intentional. Or maybe it's because I always play with accelerated production. Worker sats and fighters take forever to build. It seems odd that workers are more expensive than early military ships.
    The pedia needs some work :p

17. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

Well glad to see people playing the game :D

Playing the neutrals, I found it very easy to block ai expansion into other systems by putting haulers amid the starlanes. I was thus able to colonize say 5 systems while the comp had to take a much longer route. Maybe the lanes could be made a little larger to prevent this? 3 tiles wide should be enough.

Regarding tech tree and upgrade path: remember this is only a beta...

18. Notech

Notech Astrogation coordinator

Oh no, my onemoreturnitis is back!! :D

This is already a great mod. I'm looking forward to see it go "alpha"....

19. Bolshevik

Bolshevik Comrade

I am extremely interested in this mod, and will be follwing to completion (knock on wood) without question. I'll playing the beta version (which I just downloaded and fixed) as soon as I get a chance.

TO Guagle: is there a PTW version of the fixed scenario file, or does the bix with the original download still function properly (or at all, for that matter)?

20. Guagle

Guagle Warlord

@ Bolshevik : the orginal mod was for PTW but for some mysterious, unfathomable reason i changed it to Conquest. Sorry about that. If you want the ptw version I think there are two possible solutions :

1) either dl the original file and unzip it. Some people cannot decompress it, soit might not work for you.

2) or, using the editor, save the mod to PTW format. I'm not sure about this, since the ptw editor probably won't be able to handle .biq files, only .bix (or is it the other way round)

I realize i'm not being very helpful here. If none of the above work for you, i'll upload the ptw file in this thread.