1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space? How?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by code99, Jan 12, 2019.

1. code99

code99 Chieftain

Hi,

I havent checked c2c since a few years ago and now I wanted to try it again. I noticed that you can get to space?

I've tried figuring that out by reading around here but as of yet im unsure how to actually set that up?

Does the space portion of the game works out of the box? Do I need custom maps?

Does teh random map generator within the game work with all the space stuff?

Im sure this has been asked before, I wasnt able to get a clear explanation for this so I apologize for that.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You need custom maps and the AI won't be able to join you there so past a point it's all sandbox play but it's a step in the right direction. The maps are available in the maps section here on the forum.

3. code99

code99 Chieftain

Are later techs only about space colonization? What if I dont use custom maps, will those later eras be pointless?

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It does limit your experiences past a point where many techs become kinda blank for you but by that late in the game balance issues may well plague your game. But there's so much game between the beginning and there that it should be a worthy experience either way you play it.

5. code99

code99 Chieftain

Ok, thank you for your help!

6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Space program begins at middle of modern era with Advanced Rocketry (Rocket fuel factory, NASA and few other needed buildings), and colonization of space begins at start of Nanotech era.

Starting space colonization is fairly complex:
    You need to send Space Shuttle (Heavy Rocket later) to orbit terrain.
    Those can place space station improvement - It comes at three levels - Space Stations in late Modern, Space Tourism in middle Information and Asteroid Mining just before Nanotech.

When space station improvement reaches third level you can launch another Heavy Rocket to upgrade it to Cislunar Settler, and then you can build your first actual space colony.

AI doesn't know, that it has to send unit to build improvement, upgrade that improvement twice (improvement upgrades being unlocked later) and then send another unit to upgrade it to settler.

Galactic and later eras might be little devoid of earthly buildings and units.

Prehistoric to Nanotech eras have 50 or more units you can choose not listing special ones.
    That is unit shortage (unlocked in given era) begins after Nanotech era.
    Situation with buildings is better: Earth intentionally stops being important in Galactic and later eras.

Advanced Rocketry is at ~50% of game: you absolutely need 417 out of 941 techs to reach it (44%), players will research more techs than that though.

My space maps are best for test playtrough - one has single AI and other doesn't have it at all.
    Earth is very small in proportion to space, this means shortest turn times of all spacemaps.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. code99

code99 Chieftain

Thank you for clarifying that.

I think imma stick with normal games and just ignore space for now, its obviously still a work in progress.

8. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

If by WIP you mean AI, units and graphics, then it won't be done for multiple years.
    As for exploration and colonization side it is mostly done, just that you won't fight things in space.

You can try my space maps on Blitz, you should reach end of tech tree in two weeks or so - I finished my no AI space map in month on 3000 turn long game.
    Blitz/Normal have 1000/2000 turns.
    Other one has single AI.

You should get SVN too - a lot of annoying inconsistencies and serious bugs were fixed.
    AI should be threat all way to Nanotech or even later - Some players report that AI can get much farther in tech than it used to on Emperor and up.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. code99

code99 Chieftain

I see, ill start a game normally and when thats done ill probably explore some space, it does sounds interesting.

First thing I did was get the SVN version :)

raxo2222 likes this.
  10. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Kation and Snofru1 space maps play like normal Earth map all way to Nanotech era not counting exploration and base building (space stations and lunar base improvements), you just need my latitude rescaling modmod.
    Large Earth maps variant have proper space zones - terrains, features and space resources placed in right order.

There are 13 space zones:
    Orbit (can place space stations here), Cislunar Space with Moon, Inner Solar System with Mercury/Mars/Venus and asteroids at border, Outer Solar System with Gas giants + their moons and Pluto at border, Transeptunian space (Oort cloud and Kuiper Belt), Interstellar space with single stars and planets, Orion Arm - part of Milky Way, Milky Way itself, Local Cluster (local galaxies and Andromeda), Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe, Unobservable Universe (rest of single universe) and Hyperspace.

As you see scale being exponential is reason as to why Earth doesn't get as much buildings in Galactic and later eras.

Osk21 likes this.
  11. Snofru1

Snofru1 Chieftain

As raxo already pointed out: When you select one of the pre-made space maps you can just play normally like on an earth map. But when you reach the later ages you can go on into space if you want to, you can´t do that if you use a custom map.

Osk21 likes this.
  12. code99

code99 Chieftain

Well the problem is that I dont really like earth-like maps.

I'd much rather play perfect world based maps for instance (i mean, random maps generated with that script). Its not necessarily the script itself, its the randomness of it.
    An earth-like map is ... well, earth-like. I know where everything is.

If there are space maps that are not earth-like, i might even start playing those as my first game because as you say, the gameplay until space is the same as in any map.

13. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

@Snofru1 could make a map for you based on the perfect world generator.

14. code99

code99 Chieftain

I guess we could give it a try

I mentioned perfect world because thats what i last played the most. I dont know which script is best nowdays.

15. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

C2C_World by @Toffer90 is the best at the moment, mostly because it's the only one that's still maintained.

Osk21 likes this.
  16. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

All those maps have generated Earth part.
    My space maps have custom Earth too - I handcrafted first one (without AI) and generated second one (with single AI).

Only Kation's and TPEHEP's space maps have actual Earth.

Osk21 likes this.