Space Mod?

catman123

Chieftain
This is probably a dumb question with an answer already, but how easy/possible would it be to make a new map system where the map was more like a map of the galaxy?

Kind of like in Civilization IV with that science fiction space scenario except for Civilization V.

I was more talking starships than Beyond Earth. Also, is there already a mod that does this?

how easy/possible would it be to make a new map system

Very, very, very hard - probably not even possible.

We have very, very limited access to the graphics/map engine. A few modders have created new resource and improvement graphics, fewer have managed 3d models (eg wonders) and features (like red weed instead of forests). You'd need to create new terrain graphics to redraw ocean (say) as space, land (say) as gas clouds and hills (say) as planets.

We have very, very limited access to the graphics/map engine.

So basically I couldn't even add new terrain or reassign the graphics for the current terrain to new terrain graphics that are more "spacey?" Do you know of any other Civilization games that this might be easier or possible? I'm more asking because I'm curious about this.

You can reassign the graphics for current terrain - TPangolin did this with the Battle Royale's Australian desert - but what you're talking about will likely require a lot more work than just new graphics like that, which is where the difficulty comes in

what you're talking about will likely require a lot more work than just new graphics like that

When you say a lot more work are you talking like redoing the graphics engine and/or the DLL completely?

Top Bottom