Space Race and Districts (rant)

DocRock

Prince
Can you seriously only take part in the space race, when your high production city you worked on the whole game has a free district? Of yeah, I cannot build the Spaceport. Now that's great.

If there is a way around this please tell me.

I have to wait 60+ turns now for 3 pop. Then countless turns for all the stuff? Just to finish the game? This game is seriously ****ing me off. No we don't explain the Culture Victory. National Parks.. better not mention it. Seaside Resorts? Yeah well, we are not showing you where you can build them. Somewhere on the coast, but you better have a coast because they are freaking important and no, we didn't mention that earlier. But we'll give you 150 Great Musicians, Artists and Writer BECAUSE YOU CANNOT USE THEM ANYWAY. Oh and wait, we put out 1500 artifacts for archeology, where you can only loot 6 (which doesn't matter, because you cannot see them under this graphical glitch called fog of war). But on the other hand, we put ONE OIL ON YOUR WHOLE CONTINENT.

Damnit. This game is so annoying. I'm glad at least German media at least rates it between 75-80%. Not like the international hype press who rates Civ 6 + 2 Addons and 10 major patches now giving it 95%.

I'm out. Back with a patch. Maybe.

Nope, actually I won a space race last night (overflow expoit notwithstanding, I would have won in 10 more turns without that exploit), and turns out that indeed, my 90-120 production/turn city couldn't build a spaceport, so I ended up building spaceports in 4 other cities. 2 or 3 would have been enough, though.

With the right policies and great people, they were able to build space race projects in maybe 15-25 turns each, which wasn't a problem since I still had to research the techs (I focused more on balance than speeding through the tech tree in this game).

Only thing that slowed them down was a drawn-out war of pillaging with Arabia, which I had to put an end to to stop the war weariness from growing since that was giving up to -60% yields in one of my cities. Oops. Took a few turns to recover from that.

Eventually won on turn 449, hadn't even completed the tech trees.

The ingredients for a space race victory are: 2-3 spaceports, interlocking industrial zones, correct policies and great people and, obviously, a degree of planning.

I only have one space port, at capital and is going to launch mars habitation in I think the 1970s.
Some great scientists and great engineers have boosts to space projects. I think Carl Sagan has like 3000 gear boosts, and another one has 1500 production boosts.
Overlapping factories and power plants bonus, high populations, and tons of trade routes going from capital to other cities really boost it.
A side note: a fully developed coast city (harbor, lighthouse, seaport, industrial zone, workshop, factory, powerplant) contributes as high as 7 gears per turn per trade route.

1 great engineer gives 1500 production, which translate to free satellite launch
Carl Sagan gives 3000 production, which translate to free moon landing or one of the Mars mission
then there's another 1 scientist and 1 engineer who give 50% reduction for space race production, combined they means another free moon landing/mars mission

so you only have to hard produce technically 2 space race projects if you play your cards right (not including using civics yet which will give further discount on production)

plus, you absolutely do not need to build every available districts if you are aiming for the space any way, that or you have to improve on how you manage your city growth so that you are not capped by the district limit (I have not hit that limit in my major cities so far)

edit: I would also redirect available trade routes to the space port city(s) just to further pump up their production, my last science victory I launched the final Mars mission in 12 turns, which I am confident could be further reduced if I played it better

Last edited:
Can you seriously only take part in the space race, when your high production city you worked on the whole game has a free district? Of yeah, I cannot build the Spaceport. Now that's great.

I have to wait 60+ turns now for 3 pop. Then countless turns for all the stuff? Just to finish the game? This game is seriously ****ing me off. No we don't explain the Culture Victory. National Parks.. better not mention it. Seaside Resorts? Yeah well, we are not showing you where you can build them. Somewhere on the coast, but you better have a coast because they are freaking important and no, we didn't mention that earlier. But we'll give you 150 Great Musicians, Artists and Writer BECAUSE YOU CANNOT USE THEM ANYWAY. Oh and wait, we put out 1500 artifacts for archeology, where you can only loot 6 (which doesn't matter, because you cannot see them under this graphical glitch called fog of war). But on the other hand, we put ONE OIL ON YOUR WHOLE CONTINENT.

Damnit. This game is so annoying. I'm glad at least German media at least rates it between 75-80%. Not like the international hype press who rates Civ 6 + 2 Addons and 10 major patches now giving it 95%.

Oil as a scarce resource seems to be intentional. Likely to re create the feeling of attacking a country for its oil specifically.

I only have one space port, at capital and is going to launch mars habitation in I think the 1970s.
Some great scientists and great engineers have boosts to space projects. I think Carl Sagan has like 3000 gear boosts, and another one has 1500 production boosts.
Overlapping factories and power plants bonus, high populations, and tons of trade routes going from capital to other cities really boost it.
A side note: a fully developed coast city (harbor, lighthouse, seaport, industrial zone, workshop, factory, powerplant) contributes as high as 7 gears per turn per trade route.
I missed Carl Sagan and an engineer who gives +20% production to space race projects, but managed to nab Korolev (the 1500 boost one) and later Von Braun (+100% space race production!).

I could've done it with a single spaceport, delaying only 10 years or so. With all my boosts and policies, the Mars mission modules could be built in under 15 turns.

Why bother building space parts when you can just roll the AI with mostly Horsemen :)
Yeah, why not win the game in the cheapest way possible? All other playstyles and victory types are invalid.

You only need two space ports. One in your main industrial city, this one builds the satellite, the moon launch, the first Mars and the third Mars. Your second best city builds the second mars mission. The only ones that can be built concurrently are the three Mars missions. The one at the top of the tech tree is going to be unlocked 30+ turns before the next two. In my first game I was building the missions in like 13 turns and like 26 turns in my second city. Ended up launching both missions on the same turn which was cool.

I do like that you can't stumble into a Space Race victory in Civ6, it's much more deliberate and is rightfully a huge investment.

The funny thing is, I am now stumbling into cultural victories.

The game rewards advanced planning. Imagine that. A strategy game, encouraging planning. Stunning, I'm aware.
It would be nice if a game that rewarded advanced planning actually made it clear what type of advanced planning is needed. Civ is a strategy game like "Mao" is a strategy game...a bunch of rules that aren't made clear.

I do like that you can't stumble into a Space Race victory in Civ6, it's much more deliberate and is rightfully a huge investment.

The funny thing is, I am now stumbling into cultural victories.

Indeed that happened to me in the first game. In the game I mentioned previously in this thread, despite being Gandhi, I had 0 focus on culture. In fact I think I got one Great Writer and one Great Artist during the whole game, while I got a multitude of scientists, engineers and merchants, all 3 my main focus. I made heavy use of the district projects too, both before and after they got boosted by adopting Democracy, and those helped greatly not only because it boosted a paltry 20-40 great people points each time, more importantly because a lot of those projects give cash which I could use to buy up great people. And keep my economy afloat after I went into -200 gpt when I bought gold from the AI so I could buy Werner von Braun.

Thus I agree with your assessment (bold text above). I planned far ahead and invested heavily in this space race rather than stumbling into it or into a culture victory. I had 5 cities until the medieval era when I finally founded a 6th city, which incidentally was the city where my last mars parts were built. Not every district or building built everywhere either, that was also part of my planning.

Makes more and more sense to me the less I treat the game like civ5 ;)

In the Final Form of Civ V (vanila+G&K+BNW), we have mechanism to catch up when we are lagging behind (percentage modifier buildings, stacked bonus, the whole archeology and museums things, buying all of the city states). In Civ VI, if you misplace your districts, it's going to haunt you big time later.

It would be nice if a game that rewarded advanced planning actually made it clear what type of advanced planning is needed. Civ is a strategy game like "Mao" is a strategy game...a bunch of rules that aren't made clear.

Isn't the first step listed on the Science Victory screen "build a spaceport district"? Just checked, yes, it's the first step listed.

Some things in this game are pointlessly obscure. The spaceport district requirement for a science victory isn't one of them. You should be familiar with how the district population gating works by the time you reach that point in the game.

I missed Carl Sagan and an engineer who gives +20% production to space race projects, but managed to nab Korolev (the 1500 boost one) and later Von Braun (+100% space race production!).

I could've done it with a single spaceport, delaying only 10 years or so. With all my boosts and policies, the Mars mission modules could be built in under 15 turns.

Yeah, why not win the game in the cheapest way possible? All other playstyles and victory types are invalid.

You have a point but I can't imagine playing this game up to turn 449 just so I can launch. I am not knocking that I am just saying that I couldn't enjoy the game that long. In Civ V... I used to play up to turn 275-325 and that was a lot of next turn next turn. It is pretty clear that this game is won in 175-225 and depending on skill or level your playing it can be done much earlier. I do understand that they have made this game more for fantasy builders. I dunno I just get bored building x amount of districts and what not. I enjoy stomping the AI. To each his/her own, I apologize for even getting involved in the conversation I was just kidding anyway.

You have a point but I can't imagine playing this game up to turn 449 just so I can launch. I am not knocking that I am just saying that I couldn't enjoy the game that long. In Civ V... I used to play up to turn 275-325 and that was a lot of next turn next turn. It is pretty clear that this game is won in 175-225 and depending on skill or level your playing it can be done much earlier. I do understand that they have made this game more for fantasy builders. I dunno I just get bored building x amount of districts and what not. I enjoy stomping the AI. To each his/her own, I apologize for even getting involved in the conversation I was just kidding anyway.

Fair enough. I'm bored when the game finishes too quickly, I do enjoy building up my civilization or my empire, whichever path I choose. Also very few of my 449 turns were spent hitting next repeatedly, and very little repetitive tasks also. Granted this was the first time I explored the district projects mechanics to get GPP and yields and see how it helps a space victory, it may or may not be repetitive over mulitple games (as opposed to being repetitive in a single game, which it wasn't).

No need for being sorry for being involved in the thread, this is a discussion forum after all. We've all got opinions and different playstyles and comfort levels...

60+ turns for 3 pop? Do you play on marathon? Or do you simply forgot to get more housing?

Anyway, it's a pretty pointless rant and I think the CIV series might not be for you. Half the fun of CIV is learning how the game works and trying to improve your strategy each time you start a new game.
It's normal to make mistakes but I don't understand why you get so frustrated. Almost all your complaints could have been solved by looking at the civilopedia.
The biggest german magazines gave high 80s/90s reviews by the way. Only complaint is usually the AI.

Total pointless rant. If you dont like that you actually have to plan your path to victory better not play civilization ^^.
And to use your 150 great artists maybe build some museums.

Yeah the space race isn't a back up victory anymore like in civ 5 where you could still win a game in the last few turns if you couldn't get a other victory i really like that.

Now every victory requires planning civ 5 space race was kind of lacking in strategy just tech up and built only 5 parts not a lot.

Top Bottom