Space ship flight times

RJM

Prince
Has anyone listed the space ship flight times for the various game settings and space ship configurations?

RJM

I don't know anymore myself, the hammers per project and flight-times seems to keep changing from version to version.

I think right now it's 10 turns for a fully completed spaceship.

10 turns for 2 engines and 5 thrusters at normal speed. I suspect the flight time is different at epic - 15? How about 1 engine?

RJM

With minmal propulsion -1 Enigne + 1 Thruster- it's 20 Turns on Normal.
Each additional propulsion component takes down 2 Turns... The expensive second engine the same as the cheap thrusters, which sucks.
Launching with 1 Engine + 5 thrusters seems like a sensible choice with ETA 12 (If your two best production cities fail to deliver both engines within 1 turn difference)

Should scale normally to gamespeed - everything x1.5 / x3 for Epic / Marathon.

Most people find the 2 SS engines not worth it. I guess it's part of the strategy, you get to do both IF you beeline the certain tech FIRST....

Anyhow, it seems weight does not factor in the flight times, which is another part of strategy gone. Technically, adding in each SS casing should slow it down... I'd also like to see, different types of cock-pits, etc. Some lighter than others, but at a much higher cost. It is YOUR strategy to chose which path to follow. For some reason you can change the cockpit and other component's COLOR, but that's about it. I guess they were hoping to get more deeper than that, but wanted to just kick the game on the shelf sooner, and throw in the extra stuff in a future expansion.

I usually just luanch the damn thing with one engine and one thruster. Firaxis didn't properly balance the hammer cost/flight time reduction.

Thanks guys.

I believe that each of the casings not built reduces the probability of success by 20%. Does anyone ever bother with less than 5?

RJM

Thanks guys.

I believe that each of the casings not built reduces the probability of success by 20%. Does anyone ever bother with less than 5?

RJM

Not if you want it to make it, no. :p

Beeline Superconductors early through Refridgeration, before researching Rocketry. Build labs everywhere and then you'll have a good headstart on those five thrusters.

I haven't yet been in a space race close enough to consider launching an incomplete ship. To optimize the production I go to the F1 screen and sort by hammer output. The IW city is usually at the bottom (of course) and naturally that's the first choice to work any SS component, and if that's busy I count build turns between that city finishing plus the entire work on the next component. I compare that number of turns with working the same component in the next highest production city. And so on up the list of cities (and always skipping my HE/WP city, which stays focused on units) until all outstanding SS component builds are assigned (starting from the most expensive hammer-cost on down).

I think if the race really came down to it I'd launch as soon as it's minimally able to fly and get there sooner than the AI's could if they launched right at that point in time.

Then it's back to total war and see if mech infantry can convince their space program to shut down for a while. Even a failed conquest isn't a failure at that point.

Not if you want it to make it, no. :p

Beeline Superconductors early through Refridgeration, before researching Rocketry. Build labs everywhere and then you'll have a good headstart on those five thrusters.

Not to mention research...

A couple workshop/lumbermill type cities with full multipliers for hammers will carry most of the parts while still teching. If necessary some can be converted from whatever else they were doing...late game hammer cities are the fastest to set up.

Thanks guys.

RJM

Humans, Yes.

Stupid AI, never.

With minmal propulsion -1 Enigne + 1 Thruster- it's 20 Turns on Normal.
Each additional propulsion component takes down 2 Turns... The expensive second engine the same as the cheap thrusters, which sucks.
Launching with 1 Engine + 5 thrusters seems like a sensible choice with ETA 12 (If your two best production cities fail to deliver both engines within 1 turn difference)

Should scale normally to gamespeed - everything x1.5 / x3 for Epic / Marathon.

I'd say it depends on the relative production capabilities of your top two cities, and if those cities are building anything essential. If your top two production cities are comparative, like a bureaucracy capital with forest preserves to chop and a separate ironworks city, then there's no reason not to build both engines. But if the difference in turns between the top production city and that building a second engine is greater than the difference in transit time, then yeah only build one. I generally put my culture slider up, switch to caste system, and use all of my workers to temporarily convert farms to workshops in the weaker production city to get it to complete the engine at the same time. Not letting it starve to lose pop, but letting it lose stored food.

Top Bottom