Space Terrains

pepper2000

King
If anyone is still working on new space maps, I've designed a few new terrains, covering all the planets in the Solar System, asteroids and Kuiper Belt Objects, interstellar space, various Milky Way objects, and a few things beyond. They are planned for inclusion in the next version of the space colonization modmod (with likely edits as needed). Please pardon their rough-and-ready appearance.

You'll need SVN 9236+ to use them. Then just drop the folder in caveman2cosmos/Assets/Modules/My_Mods.

I'd love to see a good map that stretches to the cosmos. I'll design one myself if I have to, but then it won't be good.

Attachments

• SpaceTerrains.7z
    3 MB · Views: 356
dragged into the den. :)

It will be cool if you could do more than one surface of each planet. Desert, Field, stony fields, etc.

Even cooler, if you can add the dry channels, lava rivers and oceans, special icebergs, etc.

dragged into the den.

It will be cool if you could do more than one surface of each planet. Desert, Field, stony fields, etc.

Even cooler, if you can add the dry channels, lava rivers and oceans, special icebergs, etc.

It would, but it would be cooler still if someone else did, since you can see the quality of my artwork. But it's easy enough if we're just doing a palette swap of an existing terrain.

If I were to do more terrains, I would also differentiate out the moons of Jupiter (Europa and Callisto at least) and Saturn (Enceladus and Titan). Some of these objects would take up a single tile. Titan in particular would be really cool to have, since it has some amazing geology and weather patterns.

Maybe I'll add more later, but I have done tons of other modding things (not to mention paid work) going on now.

While on the topic, I never understood why there is a lunar "desert" terrain. It's not like its raining on the other terrains over there... On the other hand, the moon is covered with huge mares (?). Maybe we should rename the desert terrain to Lunar Mare.

While on the topic, I never understood why there is a lunar "desert" terrain. It's not like its raining on the other terrains over there... On the other hand, the moon is covered with huge mares (?). Maybe we should rename the desert terrain to Lunar Mare.

What?! Is that why you didn't include a Lunar Cheese Mine?

If I were to do more terrains, I would also differentiate out the moons of Jupiter (Europa and Callisto at least) and Saturn (Enceladus and Titan).

It seems to me, for each space object does not need a unique territory. It takes something more "common", suitable for many objects - "basalt fields," "lead the oceans", "hydrogen ice", etc. Not a "field of Mars", "the field of Venus," "Calypso field" ... "the field of thirty-fourth planet in a cluster 32,984." :)

The artwork can be recycled between planets, so long as it is not recycled so much that it is hard to tell where you are visually. But terrains themselves have to be different, because I use MapCategories and "X in City Vicinity" requirements on buildings, so cities know whether they should have access to the Venus buildings, the Neptune buildings, etc.

There are other options there, such as map bonuses of terrain features, neither of which I have experimented with yet.

What?! Is that why you didn't include a Lunar Cheese Mine?

I didn't? :eek: I just checked and found that I misspelled it as "Creeep Mine". Will fix that soon. ;)

Obviously not talking about actual oceans here. But they are called Mare and since they are major craters, they should be distinctive enough to be it's own terrain. At least it makes more sense than Desert, doesn't it?

Obviously not talking about actual oceans here. But they are called Mare and since they are major craters, they should be distinctive enough to be it's own terrain. At least it makes more sense than Desert, doesn't it?

Sounds good to me. Renaming is just a one line fix, and I can't imagine that anyone would object.

To get off topic a bit, where do things stand with lunar colonization, and in particular getting the rover, supply ship, and construction ship to the moon? I added a Lunar Settler, which is like the Spacecraft Settler but has the appropriate map categories and can only settle on the Moon. That's a stopgap solution until your plan is implemented.

My lunar stuff hasn't changed for a while now and probably won't anytime soon. Partly because my free time decreased and partly because I want to play other games than civ.
I like the way you went with your space settlers; its much simpler than mine. I once had a similar idea using the mechanism that allows some naval units to pass ocean before optics, but that wasn't possible. That was before MapCategories and then I was so stuck with other ideas that I couldn't see the "most simple" solution :crazyeye:

So if you want to, I'm ok with you doing any changes to my mod that you want. You are quite rational and understand the costs and problems, as well as opportunities of space colonies very good.
I don'teven mind if you want to merge it into your space modmod since that's what it's basically is. They both are about extra terrestrial colonies and it's probably easier to maintain that way.

I really want to find some time soon-ish to play around with your latest version and give you feedback. It sounds great!

I won't attempt to do anything with the lunar material for V5, since I already have too much on my plate. But eventualy I would like to try to get the Lunar Rover working as you envisioned. It ought not be too difficult to make a list of all lunar plots in python, pick one at random, and spawn a rover there when the mission is executed. I'd like a similar Mars rover as well.

I really can't think of anything I would want to see different on the lunar colonization material, aside from adding the megastructures and terraforming stuff, and getting units working as planned.

Is there a chance to see "terraformed" terrains? Is it possible, to make some "terraformed" terrains and place them on the map after finishing some project (terraformed Moon, or even split this project into stages. But we need then different terrains for each stage)? I saw Eden project, which improve terrains on Earth. Is it possible make something for Moon an Mars?

Is there a chance to see "terraformed" terrains? Is it possible, to make some "terraformed" terrains and place them on the map after finishing some project (terraformed Moon, or even split this project into stages. But we need then different terrains for each stage)? I saw Eden project, which improve terrains on Earth. Is it possible make something for Moon an Mars?

That should be possible. I don't know how the Eden Project works yet, but I guess that it triggers a python script that transforms terrains. I'll have to do some research. What I do know I could do is give terraforming missions to workers and let them do it tile by tile.

The Eden project is Earth only I think.

We have the ability to terraform Earth plots already in game so it should be possible to add others.

Could you please tell me how you can restrict barbarians to only spawn on earth terrain tiles?

Someone mentioned using MapCategoryTypes tags and suggested I ask you here in this thread.

Top Bottom