1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by xmol, Apr 11, 2013.

1. xmol

xmol Chieftain

So something Kate said during the recent interview got me interested. I don't have the the exact quote, but she and Dennis seemed to be hinting at something on the poster, something about what happens "after you conquer earth". Then I remembered this picture.
    tumblr_mghyhmtj9L1qerapmo1_1280.jpg
    Any chance we'll see some intergalactic colonization happening soon?

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

She was talking about fighting aliens in XCOM.

3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I wonder if they were pointing at the globe? Maybe we'll get the global view back?

4. Hawawaa

Hawawaa Prime

That would be sick for global view back. :)

5. Enonwnn

Enonwnn Chieftain

Maybe not for BNW, but perhaps hinting at an Alpha Centauri reboot coming in the near future?

6. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

I did suggest a Space/Future era but the majority seem to dislike the idea.

7. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

I'm not crazy about it. I have nothing against science fiction, but that's not really what Civ is for. I kind of feel like things like space colonization, underwater cities, and (sigh!) giant death robots should wait until we actually have them in the real world before they go into a game about history.

8. Fummy

Fummy Chieftain

He was pointing to the buildings on the tiles, I don't recognise them though

9. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

Many historical games have included a future era, Empire Earth being one example.

10. spfun

spfun King

I'm hoping for Alpha Centauri II. Though only if its done really well.

The original was excellent

11. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

Empire Earth also destroyed itself as a series.

12. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Shame EA have the rights to the name and all the fluff.

13. Sporally

Sporally Prince

When I saw the name of this thread I didn't think of the woman in the interview but what Shirk said when asked about global warming in BNW.

"Not in Brave New World, but you never know what the future will bring" acompanied by a small subtle smile on his face.

It is obvious that the woman had been told what to take out of the questions and what not. She knew she wouldn't get any answers if she asked about civilizations in BNW. Maybe she was allowed to take a question that could hint to the future of the series.

What I've been thinking about is also the poster which shows some futuristic units, the stars of on the poster and the fact that they are working on the end-part of the game.

My bet is that they aren't putting space into this game (no scenario aswell), but that this is their next expansion if, and only if, BNW becomes a succes. Honorstly, I doubt there will be any more expansions or DLCs. I still hope for DLCs with new leaders of existing civs at least.

14. Sporally

Sporally Prince

Oh, why hasn't anyone said anything about the sentence at the bottom of the poster?? There surely will be some space stuff in this. Or maybe it's not a BNW poster but a Civ5 future-poster as mentioned above...

15. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

i think its just a combination CiV/ XCOM poster... but an expanded future era would be fun

16. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

The game was amazing at first, its only a change in developers that destroyed it with the creation of EE3.

17. Sporally

Sporally Prince

Now here's a really speculative idea from an article. It's the article that shortly mentions Morocco as a civ, though that's not comfirmed and not the topic of this discussion.

Look at the info down below:
    "... the benefit of humanity...". Now, I know this could be MANY things, but to be very speculative, they could also mean that there's still a hidden feature that alien invasion might be possible :crazyeye: It would make sense if they said it could give a benefit for for instance all civilizations of an ideology, but could this mean something different?

The reason I'm being so speculative about this is that the poster release still puzzles me. Why talk about the galaxy and stuff if everything happens down on Earth. Also, I seem to keep thinking about Shirk saying "... you never know about the future." when asked about global warming. Maybe they are planning some sort of alien game. Down on Earth or out in space.

But I honorstly doubt it. Just can't seem to completely ignore it :p

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

The Poster encompasses both projects that Firaxis works on (XCOM and Civ).

You can ignore it because the poster is nothing more than a promotional poster that advertises both game.

XCOM Squad is only in the game because of the fact that Ed Beach carpools with others and the fact that the two departments work together by being in the same.. well office (or, something along those lines).

I think we are all reading bit too much into this.

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

My Spidey Sense says that there's something coming down the pike (not necessarily in BNW) that's related to this poster and the repeated veiled references to space.

I have no evidence, as yet.

20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I thought that the thing related to the poster are the Improvements on the map (Feitoria, mysterious Moroccan-looking building, Bailey and Forte etc).